Democrat Debates

26 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I agree with most of this.

Biden is who is at this point. I don't see him gaining anything but he probably won't lose support either.

Bernie looked OLD. Holy crap. He looked like my 85 year old grandfather. I think he starts to sink considerably. He and Warren are essentially running the same campaign, give or take, and I think this will begin to shift a large portion of his support to Warren. 

Warren did well. She's extremely smart and calculating. She never answers questions that will hurt her and is a master at answering just enough and spinning so that the moderators don't press her on the tough questions for her, like how she's going to pay for anything.

Beto definitely had his best debate. Very strong on guns but I don't think he offers enough other liberal substance to ever get the nomination. He could be viewed as an asset though as a vice pres, as I think head to head vs Pence he'd do pretty well if they can get him to stay on a couple topics. He'd also be an asset in Texas. 

Buttigieg has been solid. I think he'd do really well head to head with Trump.

Booker is too nice. I don't think he has the guts to go toe to toe with Trump. He's not willing to get dirty. 

Harris has faded badly since her first debate. Klobuchar offers nothing other than she's from the midwest. I don't see any electability on the national stage.

Yang has interesting ideas that will probably make a lot of sense in 20 years as the world becomes more and more automated and labour becomes less and less valuable. 

Castro went after Biden and I don't think it worked. He made a point questioning Joe's memory, but I don't think it helped him at all. If anything it smeared Biden but it wouldn't have helped Castro.  

When the automation takes over in 20 years ? 

We gonna tax the robots to give to the poor ? 

Wont the climate kill us before then ? 

8 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

When the automation takes over in 20 years ? 

We gonna tax the robots to give to the poor ? 

Wont the climate kill us before then ? 

Think about what technology was in your life 20 years ago. Now think about how much is in your life today. 

The world will be drastically different in 20 years. Cars will be self driving, truckers will all be out of business, food service jobs will continue being taken over by computers and robots, etc. 

Jobs that are minimum wage, or close to it now, will probably mostly be eliminated in 20 years. For the 10s of millions of people who occupy these type of jobs now, what are they going to do when they're replaced by machines?

Edited by jrober38

2 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Think about what technology was in your life 20 years ago. Now think about how much is in your life today. 

The world will be drastically different in 20 years. Cars will be self driving, truckers will all be out of business, food service jobs will continue being taken over by computers and robots, etc. 

Jobs that are minimum wage, or close to it now, will probably mostly be eliminated in 20 years. For the 10s of millions of people who occupy those type of jobs now, what are they going to do when they're replaced by machines?

Die of starvation or learn how to hunt/fish 

42 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I agree with most of this.

Biden is who is at this point. I don't see him gaining anything but he probably won't lose support either.

Bernie looked OLD. Holy crap. He looked like my 85 year old grandfather. I think he starts to sink considerably. He and Warren are essentially running the same campaign, give or take, and I think this will begin to shift a large portion of his support to Warren. 

Warren did well. She's extremely smart and calculating. She never answers questions that will hurt her and is a master at answering just enough and spinning so that the moderators don't press her on the tough questions for her, like how she's going to pay for anything.

Beto definitely had his best debate. Very strong on guns but I don't think he offers enough other liberal substance to ever get the nomination. He could be viewed as an asset though as a vice pres, as I think head to head vs Pence he'd do pretty well if they can get him to stay on a couple topics. He'd also be an asset in Texas. 

Buttigieg has been solid. I think he'd do really well head to head with Trump.

Booker is too nice. I don't think he has the guts to go toe to toe with Trump. He's not willing to get dirty. 

Harris has faded badly since her first debate. Klobuchar offers nothing other than she's from the midwest. I don't see any electability on the national stage.

Yang has interesting ideas that will probably make a lot of sense in 20 years as the world becomes more and more automated and labour becomes less and less valuable. 

Castro went after Biden and I don't think it worked. He made a point questioning Joe's memory, but I don't think it helped him at all. If anything it smeared Biden but it wouldn't have helped Castro.  

This is likely a hot take - Cory Booker plays nice because he's got a lot of skeletons in his closet (i.e. George Norcross and the gang in NJ) and IMO, he's always hid that he's gay.  He knows African Americans and Latinos aren't going to vote an openly homosexual man into office, and that's why he goes to great lengths to not discuss it and now hide it (insta girlfriend Rosario Dawson).  

Buttigieg is in the same boat.  I know it's 2019 but there are a lot of people in both parties who have strong views on homosexuality and aren't going to vote for a gay President.   I don't think either party's base is there yet.   Buttigieg's candidacy is testing it.  

Just now, dpberr said:

This is likely a hot take - Cory Booker plays nice because he's got a lot of skeletons in his closet (i.e. George Norcross and the gang in NJ) and IMO, he's always hid that he's gay.  He knows African Americans and Latinos aren't going to vote an openly homosexual man into office, and that's why he goes to great lengths to not discuss it and now hide it (insta girlfriend Rosario Dawson).  

Buttigieg is in the same boat.  I know it's 2019 but there are a lot of people in both parties who have strong views on homosexuality and aren't going to vote for a gay President.   I don't think either party's base is there yet.   Buttigieg's candidacy is testing it.  

I disagree. Current polls suggest over 60% of Americans support same sex marriage.

The Democrat "base" would definitely support someone like Buttigieg. 

Summary of last night's debate, from a policy perspective:

1. Health care: We're going to take away your private insurance and raise middle class taxes to do it. Or, alternatively, we're just going to do that gradually.

2. Education: We're going to throw money at our favorite supporters in the teachers' unions. Also, record players.

3. Racism: Beto: America is garbage. Harris: So is Trump. Buttigieg: Also, you're garbage.

4. Gun Control: We're here to take your guns.

5. Immigration: Open borders for all! Except Biden.

6. China: Trump is basically right, but we can't say so.

7. Afghanistan: Let's pull out all troops from Afghanistan without any plan. Also, DIPLOMACY!

8. Climate Change: We're all going to die. So give us your money.

9. Yang: Let's just skip all this s***. Here's some free money.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, dpberr said:

You want a hot take?  Booker screwed up his chance to come out as a homosexual (whether he is or not -- he put a girlfriend on his arm).  That may have been the only thing that would boost his numbers with Democrats.

37 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Buttigeig is polling under 1% w African Americans... 

He has zero chance to win. 

I agree he's not going to win the nomination, but I don't think the fact that he's a gay married man would hurt him if for whatever reason he was the nominee. 

4 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Or that demographic just prefers several other candidates. 

That demo is much more conservative on the issue of orientation than other demos... that's the point. And no dem can win any general election with who polls under 1% with African Americans. Thus, his orientation is holding him back even on the left. 

Edited by Deranged Rhino

27 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

That demo is much more conservative on the issue of orientation than other demos... that's the point. And no dem can win any general election with who polls under 1% with African Americans. Thus, his orientation is holding him back even on the left. 

True. 

Hilariously, minorities are more conservative on most issues than white democrats. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

She's stuck.  She's heard the criticism she comes across as the angry, shrill middle-aged  "Karen" who wants to talk to your manager.  So she's tried smoothing that out by not saying much at all.  

The Biden crowd (rich, white liberal retirees) want nothing to do with her tax ideas.  

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Is it just me or are you all waiting for the actual candidate to emerge from behind the stage curtain? This group looks perfectly suited to run the Vice President’s Office, but far from ready to be the Leader of anything.

No one on stage has a chance to win. And they know it. So does the media -- but they won't tell their audience that. 

• Like (+1) 2

Did someone seriously just post the front page of the New York Post as a credible take on the debate last night?

Oy.

Record player moment was a bad moment, yet the guy took another step towards the nomination, despite the absolute stubborn denial of some posters *ahem* over here.

Good debate for Biden for those that actually watched.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

No one on stage has a chance to win. And they know it. So does the media -- but they won't tell their audience that. 

You may be right but i think it’s really sad. They’ve devolved into party that seems to thrive on the mantra that people are purposely getting screwed! The problem is nobody is getting screwed. Americans don’t wake up every day wondering how they can oppress other Americans. They’re just going about their lives doing what’s best for themselves and their families. But over the years the Democratic Party has lost its way. John Kennedy’s inspirational messages are long gone. Now it’s just about asking ‘what the country is going to do for you’. It’s tedious!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Did someone seriously just post the front page of the New York Post as a credible take on the debate last night?

Oy.

Record player moment was a bad moment, yet the guy took another step towards the nomination, despite the absolute stubborn denial of some posters *ahem* over here.

He might still be the front runner and that is a very sad comment about his competition.  Biden is a driveling fool........ how about when his dentures came partially out, made me want to puke.

The entire record player comment was idiotic.  But the point he was trying to make but  he COULDN'T was that "social workers" should come in to your home try to raise your kids because you can't which is a very scary concept.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Oy.

Zero shot to win the general. 

None. 

He'll get trounced in the NH primary, likely Iowa as well. Then it'll all come down to SC for Joe where his black base will be tested. 

If he wins the nom, it guarantees Trump 4 more years... so you got that going for ya. :lol: 

and as for Joe's black base -- they don't want him: 

• Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

None. 

He'll get trounced in the NH primary, likely Iowa as well. Then it'll all come down to SC for Joe where his black base will be tested. 

If he wins the nom, it guarantees Trump 4 more years... so you got that going for ya. :lol: 

She’s still fired from ESPN right?      Her hot takes are insane.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

None. 

If you look really close you can see the prismatic racial contact lenses through which she sees the world.  What a burden. 

• Like (+1) 2

I'm not going to read through all of this some this was likely brought up. So Andrew Yang is "buying votes" with a $1,000 a month to a handful of families.  I think I've heard if elected (no chance) he will roll this out to all families?  I've said this a million times but why doesn't anyone ask the question "why?"  What is he trying to accomplish with this? What is the end game?  I think he'd get better traction if he said "I'll reduce every household in America's taxes by $12,000 per year!"   That would have a much broader appeal than a $12,000 annual giveaway.  Do any of these people think about this *****? 

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

I'm not going to read through all of this some this was likely brought up. So Andrew Yang is "buying votes" with a $1,000 a month to a handful of families.  I think I've heard if elected (no chance) he will roll this out to all families?  I've said this a million times but why doesn't anyone ask the question "why?"  What is he trying to accomplish with this? What is the end game?  I think he'd get better traction if he said "I'll reduce every household in America's taxes by $12,000 per year!"   That would have a much broader appeal than a $12,000 annual giveaway.  Do any of these people think about this *****? 

Here's his explanation: 

6 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Because so many people don’t pay taxes! So now we’re reduced to candidates just promising people free money. It doesn’t get any lower!

3 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Here's his explanation: 

Wait not every household but every adult over the age of 18??  Oh cool Andy couple questions.

1.  How will this create millions of jobs?  I'm 18 and you give me $1,000 a month my reply.  ***** finding a job!

2.  What do you mean when you say "make children and families stronger?"  I got stronger over the past few years.  I joined a gym

3.  The helping people transition is the only thing that makes any kind of sense.  But my question is why do I have to pay for their transition?  Why why why why why????

I'm sick of this handout *****.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Wait not every household but every adult over the age of 18??  Oh cool Andy couple questions.

1.  How will this create millions of jobs?  I'm 18 and you give me $1,000 a month my reply.  ***** finding a job!

2.  What do you mean when you say "make children and families stronger?"  I got stronger over the past few years.  I joined a gym

3.  The helping people transition is the only thing that makes any kind of sense.  But my question is why do I have to pay for their transition?  Why why why why why????

It's too early for this platform, but in 20 years universal income will make sense as most jobs requiring little education are replaced by technology across a variety of fields. By then, tens of millions of jobs people rely on now for income will be replaced by computers and robots. 

14 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

It's too early for this platform, but in 20 years universal income will make sense as most jobs requiring little education are replaced by technology across a variety of fields. By then, tens of millions of jobs people rely on now for income will be replaced by computers and robots. 

Then give them money for college/education/training.  Enough of this "awwwwww we're sorry your life sucks.  Here...have some money."  My industry is being "replaced" by bots.  Guess what?  I'm excited about it. 

Are you and Andy always this lazy or just when it comes to thinking about solutions?  

Edited by Chef Jim

28 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

My understanding is:

1. The idea is the extra $1k allows people to pursue careers they are passionate about, even if they traditionally pay less or the pay is volatile. $1k on its own is way below poverty. Not exactly enabling people to not work at all. So, back to the question, I don't think it creates jobs overall, but it makes some careers more viable.

2. Maybe more people could afford to go to the gym, or even a personal trainer, with the extra income. Maybe a family gets stronger because they can finally afford a vacation.

3. Assuming his stance hasn't changed, part of the deal is that to qualify for the $1k you cannot be subsidized under any other government programs. So it could, in theory, get some people to stop gaming the system for disability, unemployment, etc. Which would also cover part of it's cost.

Lord knows if it'll work in practice, but I can understand the sentiment and appreciate the stuff in point 3. He commented specifically about how this was free and clear and the impact that can have mentally vs being on disability and potentially even dreading getting better because you'd lose disability. So then you almost want to be disabled, if that makes sense. 

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

You thought the part when he was asked about deportations when he was VP went over well?

The part where he said "Obama was President, I was VP" and then a few minutes later yelled into the microphone -- after it set in that he made himself look a bit foolish -- that he stood by everything Obama did for all 8 years?  That was good?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1