Anyone know anybody with no friends

1 minute ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Exactly why I don't go to those things

My close friends are definitely going.  The night before the reunion, one of my buddies is having a cookout at his house for us (our circle).  We don't see each other very often, but we've always remained close.  THAT, I will attend.  I'm about a 90% "no go" for the reunion.  There are a few people I wouldn't mind seeing, but ..... meh.

10 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I have my 30th HS reunion next week.  Still not sure I'm going.  I see my real friends as much as I want to.  I don't want to pay money to pretend I missed people I haven't seen since 1989.

Ahh..you think to much.I'm like you,not hip on fake talk and smiles but sometimes what looks like a pile of ***** turns into a golden nugget.

from my experience..people don't change much.the same Mo tormouth chicks are still motormouths but with more clown make up..my jock buds still like sports and hemp..cheerleaders are mostly still doable..I'm tall..the short guys are still short..the heavyweights are still heavy..etc

Think of it this way Gug...

maybe some of you mates are looking forward to seeing you.

2 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Ahh..you think to much.I'm like you,not hip on fake talk and smiles but sometimes what looks like a pile of ***** turns into a golden nugget.

from my experience..people don't change much.the same Mo tormouth chicks are still motormouths but with more clown make up..my jock buds still like sports and hemp..cheerleaders are mostly still doable..I'm tall..the short guys are still short..the heavyweights are still heavy..etc

Think of it this way Gug...

maybe some of you mates are looking forward to seeing you.

Good points.  I might go for a bit.  It's only about 10 minutes away and the cost is $20.  We'll see.

3 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

A timely topic.  I’m retiring next week after 40 years on the job.  I have many “friends” at work. They are friends because we see each other every day, we get along great, and we tell each other stories about our families and what we did on the weekends, etc.  We almost never see each other outside of work. Everybody has their own lives, and it is highly unlikely that I will stay in touch with anybody from work other than the occasional lunch meetup. 

Outside of my grown kids and my wife, I really don’t enjoy the company of anybody I know of outside of work. My kids all have their own friends and significant others, so they won’t be excited about hearing from me too often. My son lives nearby, and he lets me buy him lunch about twice a month.  My daughter and her family live about three hours away, and I see them about once a month. I’m a little concerned about social interaction after the novelty of reduced obligations wears off. 

Of course, I still have my imaginary internet friends!

Keeping your ‘worlds apart’.  That can be a good thing.

You’ll have plenty of acquaintances in life.  True friends you probably can count on one hand.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

5 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

A timely topic.  I’m retiring next week after 40 years on the job.  I have many “friends” at work. They are friends because we see each other every day, we get along great, and we tell each other stories about our families and what we did on the weekends, etc.  We almost never see each other outside of work. Everybody has their own lives, and it is highly unlikely that I will stay in touch with anybody from work other than the occasional lunch meetup. 

Outside of my grown kids and my wife, I really don’t enjoy the company of anybody I know of outside of work. My kids all have their own friends and significant others, so they won’t be excited about hearing from me too often. My son lives nearby, and he lets me buy him lunch about twice a month.  My daughter and her family live about three hours away, and I see them about once a month. I’m a little concerned about social interaction after the novelty of reduced obligations wears off. 

Of course, I still have my imaginary internet friends!

That’s what my wife calls you guys! 

I’m a bit ahead of you, and it’s a VERY real thing. We moved to Atlanta after our kids were gone. We made most of our friends through our kids school, sports and church. Opportunities now are more limited. I worked a couple years with some guys I liked, but it’s Atlanta and they are both at least 45 minutes away. I’ve heard studies say 20 minutes is the max to make it work. 

I suggest you find a hobby you enjoy, and meet people that way. I go to a park daily where I hit tennis balls for a couple hours and hang out. It’s not perfect, as I have almost nothing is common with these people, but we have tennis as a common bond. My sister is retired and they have sailing clubs, cooking at Salvation Army, an annual rummage sale for the church, a book sale for some tuition fund, etc. Busy all day long. Every day. I’m not trying to save the world, but I need a purpose in life and I commend you for recognizing what you are entering into. 

My wife still works, and travels most of the month. It’s the reason I can not work, but it’s still an adjustment. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, teef said:

i certainly have fewer friends.  i still keep in touch with a few very close friends from high school.  there's a group of about 10 more that meet for dinner every few months, but no weekend hangs.  after going away to college and grad school, many of my friends don't live in this area, so we tend to grow apart.  like many others, i think i'm good with the limited number at this point in life.  

You stole this from the movie Stand By Me.

I have very few friends. In fact, I really don’t have a “spill my guts” friend that I have known for years and years. I like hanging out with certain people and have a lot of laughs with certain guys, but my wife is probably my best friend, my kids also and my Dad was my other best buddy that I enjoyed talking with, having drinks and shooting the chit (he passed away this past November). I guess I like where I am in life...family, friends here and outside work, but enjoy some alone time now and then. 

• Like (+1) 4

7 hours ago, Augie said:

That’s what my wife calls you guys! 

I’m a bit ahead of you, and it’s a VERY real thing. We moved to Atlanta after our kids were gone. We made most of our friends through our kids school, sports and church. Opportunities now are more limited. I worked a couple years with some guys I liked, but it’s Atlanta and they are both at least 45 minutes away. I’ve heard studies say 20 minutes is the max to make it work. 

I suggest you find a hobby you enjoy, and meet people that way. I go to a park daily where I hit tennis balls for a couple hours and hang out. It’s not perfect, as I have almost nothing is common with these people, but we have tennis as a common bond. My sister is retired and they have sailing clubs, cooking at Salvation Army, an annual rummage sale for the church, a book sale for some tuition fund, etc. Busy all day long. Every day. I’m not trying to save the world, but I need a purpose in life and I commend you for recognizing what you are entering into. 

My wife still works, and travels most of the month. It’s the reason I can not work, but it’s still an adjustment. 

All good advice.  I think the “twenty minute” rule is one of my biggest issues. I live about an hour away from most of the people I work with, which is another reason why we won’t be seeing each other after I retire. 

My wife keeps saying I should take a class on something. That may sound more interesting after I get good and bored. 

4 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

All good advice.  I think the “twenty minute” rule is one of my biggest issues. I live about an hour away from most of the people I work with, which is another reason why we won’t be seeing each other after I retire. 

My wife keeps saying I should take a class on something. That may sound more interesting after I get good and bored. 

I learned that on my next birthday (in October) I’m eligible to take courses for FREE at Kennesaw State Univ. There are some basic culinary classes and some other stuff I’ve looked into. My neighbor has taken some classes and really enjoyed them while meeting some people he has things in common with. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Augie said:

I learned that on my next birthday (in October) I’m eligible to take courses for FREE at Kennesaw State Univ. There are some basic culinary classes and some other stuff I’ve looked into. My neighbor has taken some classes and really enjoyed them while meeting some people he has things in common with. 

i think RIT here has a similar program.  after a certain age, you're allowed to aduit classes for free.  it's a great idea.

15 minutes ago, Augie said:

4 minutes ago, teef said:

i think RIT here has a similar program.  after a certain age, you're allowed to aduit classes for free.  it's a great idea.

I just looked it up.  My local community college has a free audit option for people over 60 (I am). I may check that out. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Gray Beard said:

I just looked it up.  My local community college has a free audit option for people over 60 (I am). I may check that out. 

I looked into it once a couple years ago. It was a little crazy....they wanted my high school and college transcripts, proof of immunization, etc. WHAT? As I dug further I learned there is a separate process for people like ourselves, and also if I waited a bit they would be free. Time to look into the details of the fast track. 

Also, there are “adult/senior classes” (I imagine being akin to book clubs?), and there are classes that are part of the college you get credit hours for. I’m not looking for a degree, nor to work the ballroom at the Hyatt, but the culinary classes I looked at were part of the college. My neighbor took some “senior” history classes. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Did anybody address the general premiss of this thread yet?

If someone knew somebody with no friends, wouldn't technically have a friend?  You know, that someone that knows somebody.  Duh!

@Cripple Creek @BringBackFergy need NOT apply to get involved in this elaborate mental exercise!  Thank You very much!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

On 7/1/2019 at 9:23 PM, Ice bowl 67 said:

You guys know anybody like that?

Yeah, me.

I used to have friends, but a gradually drew away from them all.  Outside family, I haven't spent time socially with anyone in...seven years, maybe?

It's not for everyone, but it suits me.

17 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Yeah, me.

I used to have friends, but a gradually drew away from them all.  Outside family, I haven't spent time socially with anyone in...seven years, maybe?

you haven't sat there piling up 100s of hours having to listen to the same old complaints for an hour and not get a word in?

just sit there and think about when you can leave and go home finally?

30 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Yeah, me.

Not a big loss.....I’m guessing they were all idiots. 

• Haha (+1) 1