PEGULA: Fan-related costs factor into stadium decision

17 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

We're still plenty crazy, and I suppose we may be over the legal limit, but yes I see your point!

I'm surprised so many of you get drunk on Blue or Genny. The alcohol or taste is a lot like tap water. 

7 hours ago, gjv001 said:

I doubt the Bills need a dome stadium to generate ticket sales. Nor do I think the makeup of Corporate Buffalo warrants million dollar luxury boxes. Perhaps an updating of New Era to satisfy the NFL , and increasing the stadiums capasity to 78,000, so as to generate more revenues, is all that's required.

You seem to think revenue is about ticket sales   it's much more about corporate dollars.

9 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I agree.  How many teams have a tough time filling the seats like the three in FL.  The veiled threat comment in yesterday’s article is silly.  The NFL may want a new stadium, but the owners do not have to do what the league wants.  They have autonomy as officially. the Pegulas are Goodell’s boss along with 31 other owners, not the other way around.

Besides, in 2023 there will either be a new stadium, or $500 mil sunk into the current one.  Some fans forget they renovated Arrowhead, Soldier field, and Lambeau field.  I don’t worry about it as I feel confident the Pegulas won’t move cities, but find a solution in Buffalo.

I’m not sure what's worse, a September game in Florida or a December game in Buffalo. I’ve turned down free early season tickets in Florida. It can be brutally hot! One game in Jax and everyone was crammed inside the air conditioned concession area to watch it on a little TV. At $250/ticket, that was not part of my plan going in....

2 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

Even with a dome; I don’t see a SB happening in Buffalo. The city has some more lodging available, but not enough. The other problem; what do fans do the week of the super bowl? Not like we have a Mall of America. Personally, I feel the big belongs in warm weather where people can make a nice vacation out of it. Just my opinion thou.

We went to the Bills SB in Minny. Great city! But I have to admit it was disappointing that it wasn’t somewhere that I would want to vacation if the game were not there. I loved Minny in the summer and would do that again just to see a great city. It was more than the outcome of the game that sucked on my only winter visit. Double digit temps would be a nice start....

...reassuring to see Pegula is sensitive to the fan base and NOT expecting them to "break the bank" for new digs, be it PSL's, increased tix prices or significant price increases for corporate suite clients....WNY economy of scale and affordability for the Bills REGIONAL fan base is a definite lynch pin IMO....forget what piece Terry could afford.....he IS entitled to some ROI for his investment......otherwise, why bother?.....

16 minutes ago, Augie said:

We went to the Bills SB in Minny. Great city! But I have to admit it was disappointing that it wasn’t somewhere that I would want to vacation if the game were not there. I loved Minny in the summer and would do that again just to see a great city. It was more than the outcome of the game that sucked on my only winter visit. Double digit temps would be a nice start....

Glad you liked the place. I have never been there, but I know it is one frigid city. It wouldn’t be on my list of good SB locations.

1 hour ago, BillnutinHouston said:

You seem to think revenue is about ticket sales   it's much more about corporate dollars.

In a way it is, for the Bills. They can’t squueze too much more out of local,corporations because there aren’t any more. The ticket prices however , are ridiculously low ( at or near the bottom of the NFL ). So what can they do? Reduce the capacity ( fewer tickets = more demand) and price the seats higher. Quite a bit higher IF they have a climate controlled facility.

Just now, BillyWhiteShows said:

Better than IPA.  The “p” in IPA must stand for PP because it tastes gross

I disagree. Blue and Genny taste like water. Give me Yeungling or Sam Adams over those any day.  People of Buffalo need to get over the Blue Collar image they so love. Nothing screams blue collar then Genny Cream. 

...still think the Lucas Oil Field may be a reasonable venue......built in 2008 for $720 mil which is $840 mil in today's dollars.....domed and multi-purpose outside of 8 home games per year.....downtown would be a logistical nightmare despite being an aesthetic attraction...Fed's involvement to revamp interstate system means approvals by 2037 and stadium opening by 2048,...I'll be in "Hell's Kitchen" by then.....

11 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

I disagree. Blue and Genny taste like water. Give me Yeungling or Sam Adams over those any day.  People of Buffalo need to get over the Blue Collar image they so love. Nothing screams blue collar then Genny Cream. 

All edge, no point.

Chastises people for drinking commercial beers by citing commercial beers himself. If you're gonna be a beer hipster, try doing it right.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

as stated prior Neither is Jacksonville .  except for the mild weather

and we can still argue the same for Minnesota 

I heard people had a good time for the most part but if you didn't have a set place to "party" bar hopping was impossible.  

To travel to Canada you need passports or those NYS resident ID's.

how many average football fans have passports?

So because other cities can put in underwhelming experiences, everyone should?

driving back and forth to Rochester or crossing the border daily for 4-5 days including a late Sunday night in February sounds not fun. 

As a local example to me... Nola has darn near as many rooms within walking distance of the dome as your regional counts. Better weather, restaurant and event space infrastructure used to handling it... 

minnesota has similar weather challenges but to my albeit limited knowledge- much better airlift, those rooms are denser etc...

jacksonville is just a lame choice. I doubt it comes around again anytime soon.

i say embrace that you aren’t that city, and that it’s part of what makes you great in your own way. Be excellent on what you are, not what you think you need to be. Other than the chip on the shoulder, I’ve never really gotten a lot of fans desire to shoehorn in a super bowl. It’d cost the city a fortune, and probably be among the lowest ROI destinations with a lot of revenue going across the border. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’m from Toronto, but have bills seasons (I have a passport ... can’t believe that’s even a discussion point!).  The games at skydome we’re dreadful.  I’ve been to other NFL cities and orchard park has so much more atmosphere, it’s worth the extra drive.

I think if buffalo got a dome, it would neuter the whole experience.  Argo games and jay games got much less atmosphere once they were brought inside.  Football is meant to be experienced with the elements if you ask me.

I’d also be leery of the seat cost if they built a new stadium rather than renovate - I don’t think Buffalo can absorb premium pricing and still fill the stadium.  I think current pricing reflects what’s realistic.  If the Bills could charge more they would.

Sightlines are great at new era - way better than many stadiums as it was clearly built for football.  A new stadium would probably put a couple rows

of boxes in between the first and second decks, which would really push the distance from the field back if you sat upper bowl.

I really hope they just renovate.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Owner: Fan-related costs factor into Bills' stadium decision

July 01, 2019 05:51 AM WHEC

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP) — Buffalo Bills owner Terry Pegula says he won't ask fans to break the bank when it comes to deciding whether to renovate the team's current stadium in the suburbs or build a new one downtown.

"Whatever we're going to do stadium-wise is going to be in the best interest of our fans," Pegula told The Associated Press during a wide-ranging interview before the start of the NHL draft in Vancouver. "We have the interest of our fans at heart, and what we do will be heavily weighted - whatever the plan is - toward the benefit of our fans."

https://www.whec.com/news/owner-fan-related-costs-factor-into-bills-stadium-decision/5408482/?cat=565

Pegula was careful not to say he won't ask "taxpayers" to break the bank...

12 hours ago, Doc said:

A dome would make the stadium usable for other events, year-round.  I'm not sure the area can handle a SB.

This an often mentioned, but not significant source of revenue.   There are very few events that would be appropriate for that size space every year.  Scan the events schedules for other domes stadiums.  There's really no stream of income there.