PEGULA: Fan-related costs factor into stadium decision

Owner: Fan-related costs factor into Bills' stadium decision

July 01, 2019 05:51 AM WHEC

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP) — Buffalo Bills owner Terry Pegula says he won't ask fans to break the bank when it comes to deciding whether to renovate the team's current stadium in the suburbs or build a new one downtown.

"Whatever we're going to do stadium-wise is going to be in the best interest of our fans," Pegula told The Associated Press during a wide-ranging interview before the start of the NHL draft in Vancouver. "We have the interest of our fans at heart, and what we do will be heavily weighted - whatever the plan is - toward the benefit of our fans."

https://www.whec.com/news/owner-fan-related-costs-factor-into-bills-stadium-decision/5408482/?cat=565

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Glad you didn’t cite profootballtalk. It’s like Mike Florio is oblivious to the fact that the Pegulas own the Sabres and have a lot invested downtown in the city of Buffalo. Pure click bait articles that usually end with “they could choose to find another city willing to pay”... nonsense.

• Like (+1) 6

The Bills are far from being a team in need or a franchise not contributing to the NFL pot.

I said it before, there are teams in bigger metros generating little more revenue than Buffalo.

Many teams below the $400,000,000 mark (2017), where Buffalo is, four teams are below them.

Edited by I am the egg man

I agree.  How many teams have a tough time filling the seats like the three in FL.  The veiled threat comment in yesterday’s article is silly.  The NFL may want a new stadium, but the owners do not have to do what the league wants.  They have autonomy as officially. the Pegulas are Goodell’s boss along with 31 other owners, not the other way around.

Besides, in 2023 there will either be a new stadium, or $500 mil sunk into the current one.  Some fans forget they renovated Arrowhead, Soldier field, and Lambeau field.  I don’t worry about it as I feel confident the Pegulas won’t move cities, but find a solution in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 4

I doubt the Bills need a dome stadium to generate ticket sales. Nor do I think the makeup of Corporate Buffalo warrants million dollar luxury boxes. Perhaps an updating of New Era to satisfy the NFL , and increasing the stadiums capasity to 78,000, so as to generate more revenues, is all that's required.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, gjv001 said:

I doubt the Bills need a dome stadium to generate ticket sales. Nor do I think the makeup of Corporate Buffalo warrants million dollar luxury boxes. Perhaps an updating of New Era to satisfy the NFL , and increasing the stadiums capasity to 78,000, so as to generate more revenues, is all that's required.

But the wine, cheese and PSL fans want smaller domed stadium so they can scalp their tickets to opposing fans!

20 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

My guess - The main significance of a Dome would be to draw a SB bid like Minny does.   

hopefully a Feb w/o a blizzard 

Absolutely no chance of Superbowl in Buffalo. It does not have the hotel space required.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I agree.  How many teams have a tough time filling the seats like the three in FL.  The veiled threat comment in yesterday’s article is silly.  The NFL may want a new stadium, but the owners do not have to do what the league wants.  They have autonomy as officially. the Pegulas are Goodell’s boss along with 31 other owners, not the other way around.

Besides, in 2023 there will either be a new stadium, or $500 mil sunk into the current one.  Some fans forget they renovated Arrowhead, Soldier field, and Lambeau field.  I don’t worry about it as I feel confident the Pegulas won’t move cities, but find a solution in Buffalo.

The bigger question is, do they remain in Orchard Park or move the team downtown where a number of Pegula owned properties and investments stand to benefit.  I will bet anything that if all things were equal, it would be the latter

22 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

My guess - The main significance of a Dome would be to draw a SB bid like Minny does.   

hopefully a Feb w/o a blizzard 

A dome would make the stadium usable for other events, year-round.  I'm not sure the area can handle a SB.

• Like (+1) 1

I live in NYC and I have a question for the fans who actually live in Buffalo... What do YOU guys prefer? Would you rather them renovate at Orchard Park, or get fancy with it downtown?

I drive up there once a year for a home game and I personally love the atmosphere at Orchard Park... The fact that you can park your car in somebody’s backyard was very strange to me the 1st time I went but it felt like home real quick... One year I went and parked in the backyard of a older lady for 10 bucks and had to use the bathroom and didn’t notice any porta potties so I asked her hey where can I use the bathroom? She said oh just go inside my house and use it sweetie... I was like wow... Letting complete strangers use your home just for the love of the Bills, that can only happen in Orchard Park imo...

• Like (+1) 4

18 minutes ago, Doc said:

A dome would make the stadium usable for other events, year-round.  I'm not sure the area can handle a SB.

thats an option  I was speaking in terms of football related ....

How many concerts are in the Buffalo area in Blizzard season?  

27 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Absolutely no chance of Superbowl in Buffalo. It does not have the hotel space required.  

"I think we have excellent experience now hosting the World Juniors and other large events.  There is no reason we couldn't - but it would require a substantial amount of time, energy and money for the investment," added the UB professor.

7 Eyewitness News Reporter Ed Reilly has more in his reports.

I wouldn't say no chance.

Hotel rooms wouldn't cost Buffalo in a future Super Bowl hosting bid

Roger Goodell noted that hotel rooms are the biggest hurdle in hosting a Super Bowl once you get the stadium. Buffalo does surprisingly well in this factor.

Niagara Falls has hotel rooms coming out of its ears. There are 16,000 on the Canadian side alone, according to the Niagara Falls tourism board. I thought the number was so astronomically high, I even called and confirmed it. Niagara County has another 4,000, per their tourism board. Within an hour of the current stadium, Buffalo has 29,000 hotel rooms. Add to that the 7,000 Monroe County has, according to the folks at VisitRochester.com, and the conversation isn't so laughable anymore with more than 36,000 hotel rooms within a little over an hour of the existing stadium site.

• Like (+1) 6

28 minutes ago, HuSeYiN_NYC said:

I live in NYC and I have a question for the fans who actually live in Buffalo... What do YOU guys prefer? Would you rather them renovate at Orchard Park, or get fancy with it downtown?

I drive up there once a year for a home game and I personally love the atmosphere at Orchard Park... The fact that you can park your car in somebody’s backyard was very strange to me the 1st time I went but it felt like home real quick... One year I went and parked in the backyard of a older lady for 10 bucks and had to use the bathroom and didn’t notice any porta potties so I asked her hey where can I use the bathroom? She said oh just go inside my house and use it sweetie... I was like wow... Letting complete strangers use your home just for the love of the Bills, that can only happen in Orchard Park imo...

There is a split among fan preference.

Personally, I love the quant little thing we have there and I think it should be preserved if possible.  As years pass, it will increasingly be a destination for football and sports fans, much like Wrigley Field or Fenway.

Some people want to get out of the cold and want it indoors.  I get it. 

Some people romanticize a downtown stadium.  

• Like (+1) 2

I would love to see it stay in Orchard Park. It's unique among other NFL settings, sits firmly in the snow belt and the tailgating is hard to beat. Everything is already in place for future upgrades. I understand the 'put it downtown' mentality, but OP feel like a big piece of the fabric of this team. Would be sad to see it torn away. 

• Like (+1) 1

If they really want it downtown, it’s too bad they can’t find a way to make a football/hockey stadium. As the current Sabres arena is also in need of a rebuild. Personally, the idea I like the most is keeping New Era Field where it is. Either with a massive retrofit of the current stadium, or the building of a new stadium in an adjacent parking lot. 

24 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Barring a complete 25 year turnaround/resurgence, there will be no way Buffalo is ever considered for a Superbowl.

Although it would be funny to see all the high end celebs have to come to Buffalo in February

If I were Pegula I would really push for a Super Bowl to be guaranteed if I sink one billion into a domed stadium. 

Edited by Bills2ref
  • Like (+1) 1