Who has a better chance of making the 53?

NewEra

Final 53  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Who has a better chance of making it?

Tim Graham, when asked who has the best chance to stick as the #6 Wr,  chose McCloud over McKenzie and the rest of the WRs.  I realize other see duke or Sills being that guy.  The reason is only include McKenzie is because he’s the most like McCloud. Smaller gadget type wr that can double as backup returners.

i think Ray Ray has close to a zero % chance of making the squad and his NFL career, likely over 

I don't think either make it as we have plenty of speedy and smaller WR's.  You can use Brown or even Roberts for gadget plays.  Roberts is likely penciled in as the 5th WR with his return ability which makes both of them even more expendable.  I think either Duke Williams or Sills makes the team at the 6 spot because they add size to a short WR crew.  Either could be useful in the red zone.  McKenzie has the better shot between the two though.

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I don't think either make it as we have plenty of speedy and smaller WR's.  You can use Brown or even Roberts for gadget plays.  Roberts is likely penciled in as the 5th WR with his return ability which makes both of them even more expendable.  I think either Duke Williams or Sills makes the team at the 6 spot because they add size to a short WR crew.  Either could be useful in the red zone.  McKenzie has the better shot between the two though.

I would agree on this. 

And to follow up the OP not sure Ray Rays career is over if/when he’s cut. He’ll always have a shot to latch on somewhere and make some plays. For some guys it just takes one coach to get them on the field making plays. 

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Has it come to this......?

Has it come to what?  A poster wanting to see how Bills nation feels about a position battle while also seeing how clueless one of the Bills writers is (a Bills writer behind a paywall nonetheless).  Seriously......Ray Ray McCloud?  It’s like he’s never seen this guy play.  He’s terrible.  It’s like he’s never seen McKenzie play either.  One made plays with speed and explosiveness. The other showed literally zilch.

P.S. it’s june.  

5 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

With so much more positional play the 53 man roster should be expanded to 57/58.

Agreed.  They preach about safety.  A bigger roster might be able to help.

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Has it come to what?  A poster wanting to see how Bills nation feels about a position battle while also seeing how clueless one of the Bills writers is (a Bills writer behind a paywall nonetheless).  Seriously......Ray Ray McCloud?  It’s like he’s never seen this guy play.  He’s terrible.  It’s like he’s never seen McKenzie play either.  One made plays with speed and explosiveness. The other showed literally zilch.

P.S. it’s june.  

I'm just busting your chops a bit.  It's essentially which 2 scrubs will make the 53.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I'm just busting your chops a bit.  It's essentially which 2 scrubs will make the 53.

I guess I don’t just view McKenzie as a scrub. He’s a talented kid that needs to learn how to hold onto the ball.  I think that can be corrected and he has some jets on him 

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

It's more a testament to the depth at WR now.  Last year one of these guys would have been one of the top-4 WR's for the Bills.

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I guess I don’t just view McKenzie as a scrub. He’s a talented kid that needs to learn how to hold onto the ball.  I think that can be corrected and he has some jets on him 

....agree....McKenzie showed up and hit the ground workin' (stay healthy son).......Ray-Ray would have a ton of catching up tp do if even possible...McKenzie wins out as proven IMO....with a helluva work ethic............

19 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Car dealerships and insurance company franchises are filled with guys who had "some jets" back in the day...

14 minutes ago, Doc said:

It's more a testament to the depth at WR now.  Last year one of these guys would have been one of the top-4 WR's for the Bills.

Why not say McKenzie or Duke?  Or Sills?

Last year the WR corps was a disaster, so you're correct..

19 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It could be them as well.  I think you'd classify any WR outside of Brown, Beasley, Foster, Jones and Roberts, (who IMHO are locks) as "scrubs."

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Car dealerships and insurance company franchises are filled with guys who had "some jets" back in the day...

I only had McKenzie and Ray Ray in the poll because if I had all of the WRs, there would be only likely only be one vote, from Tim Graham.  I chose McKenzie and Ray Ray  because tim had chosen him and I wanted to see how many Bills fans agreed with that take. It obvious to me that McKenzie could be a much more valuable player than Ray Ray. It’s really isn’t very close imo

It looks as if @elijah is Tim Graham.  The sole vote for Ray Ray.  

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

P.S. it’s june.  

In defense of ray ray he played hurt all year and said he lost 10 pounds because an injury that he was never able to get back

Supposedly hes been grinding and looking pretty good now that he's healthy

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

I only had McKenzie and Ray Ray in the poll because if I had all of the WRs, there would be only likely only be one vote, from Tim Graham.  I chose McKenzie and Ray Ray  because tim had chosen him and I wanted to see how many Bills fans agreed with that take. It obvious to me that McKenzie could be a much more valuable player than Ray Ray. It’s really isn’t very close imo

It looks as if @elijah is Tim Graham.  The sole vote for Ray Ray.  

Unless they catch on as Special Teams, I'm not sure what unique skill either of these guys bring as WR, given who else is on the roster.

Workout videos are meaningless.

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Unless they catch on as Special Teams, I'm not sure what unique skill either of these guys bring as WR, given who else is on the roster.

Workout videos are meaningless.

Short area quickness. Ability to run the gadget plays Daboll installed last year - the end arounds, reverses and bubble screens. 

They were running those plays before McKenzie got here with zero success. They started working when he showed up. I think they want someone in that role and none of the 5 near locks fit. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Short area quickness. Ability to run the gadget plays Daboll installed last year - the end arounds, reverses and bubble screens. 

They were running those plays before McKenzie got here with zero success. They started working when he showed up. I think they want someone in that role and none of the 5 near locks fit. 

They are now paying a guy the 3rd highest salary in the NFL at doing those things.

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Beasley

Beasley isn't a gadget guy. He is a conventional slot receiver. Different skillset. I agree he is going to start in the position McKenzie started at the end of last year. Beasley has one rushing attempt in his career. He doesn't have the same speed or short area quickness and first step as McKenzie. If they are intending to use Beasley on bubble screens, reverses and end arounds it will end badly. 

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Beasley isn't a gadget guy. He is a conventional slot receiver. Different skillset. I agree he is going to start in the position McKenzie started at the end of last year. Beasley has one rushing attempt in his career. He doesn't have the same speed or short area quickness and first step as McKenzie. If they are intending to use Beasley on bubble screens, reverses and end arounds it will end badly. 

I hear you.  I'm not convinced they will keep a guy on the roster just for gadget plays.  

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

I hear you.  I'm not convinced they will keep a guy on the roster just for gadget plays.  

I think the 6th slot will go to whoever they think is the best guy for the team from a combination of offensive skillset and special teams. 

My gut is that for Daboll the gadget plays matter far more than having a "big guy". So if it comes down to ties then the smaller, shiftier, gadget types - McKenzie, McCloud and Bolden Jnr have the advantage over the big guys. That is my guess. And if McKenzie is their backup returner that will help him. 

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the 6th slot will go to whoever they think is the best guy for the team from a combination of offensive skillset and special teams. 

My gut is that for Daboll the gadget plays matter far more than having a "big guy". So if it comes down to ties then the smaller, shiftier, gadget types - McKenzie, McCloud and Bolden Jnr have the advantage over the big guys. That is my guess. And if McKenzie is their backup returner that will help him. 

Don't they need 1 "big guy"?

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yes, TE's are big.

I was referring to WR...

So you're saying you didn't understand my point that an athletic, big TE can serve the role of a "big" WR, particularly in the red zone?

Ok.  Thought you were smarter than that.

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Don't they need 1 "big guy"?

I think it is less essential in Daboll's offense. To me for Williams or Sills to make the team they need to be clearly the better player. And it is worth saying that 2 of their top 4 - Foster and Zay - are 6ft2. So it is not like they will be running all smurfs out there. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I think it is less essential in Daboll's offense. To me for Williams or Sills to make the team they need to be clearly the better player. And it is worth saying that 2 of their top 4 - Foster and Zay - are 6ft2. So it is not like they will be running all smurfs out there. 

I think they are really looking hard at Duke.

1 minute ago, eball said:

So you're saying you didn't understand my point that an athletic, big TE can serve the role of a "big" WR, particularly in the red zone?

Ok.  Thought you were smarter than that.

No you got me.  Not very smart at all.

But, yeah, a few teams could use a big TE like a big WR (Gronk, Kielce, Graham).  But many teams use bigger WR for situations other than "particularly in the red zone". And the Bills haven't ever been one of those teams.  The endless parade of "TE's" they have looked at this off season should  tell you they aren't quite settled at that position yet.