Fairburn: John Brown appears to be heading into TC as Bills’ top wideout

1 minute ago, JaCrispy said:

His skill set is no different than another #1 receiver named Tyreek Hill...and Brown was on pace to have a career year, last year, before Flacco got injured...I think our new WR’s will definitely help JA become a better QB.

But was he their number 1?  Crabtree drew a good amount of attention.  Also, Hill is a POS but he is seems more solidly built than Brown.  I remember Brown from fantasy (has a good game, you pick him, and drop him the next week).  He was always on the injury report and tends to disappear some games.  Number 1s shouldn’t disappear the way he  has. JMO. 

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

But was he their number 1?  Crabtree drew a good amount of attention.  Also, Hill is a POS but he is seems more solidly built than Brown.  I remember Brown from fantasy (has a good game, you pick him, and drop him the next week).  He was always on the injury report and tends to disappear some games.  Number 1s shouldn’t disappear the way he  has. JMO. 

Well, will just have to wait and see...we have other playmakers, so it doesn’t have to be all about him too.

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I’m not sure how I feel about this.  He always struck me as a complimentary receiver.  I guess it’s also how you view a number 1.  Could I see Brown leading us in yards? Sure.  But I view a number 1 is a guy the opposing DC goes all out to stop.  A guy who needs to be doubled.  A guy with the game on the line, you can go to.  I don’t think Brown is that type of player and we lack a “true” number 1 receiver.

my fear is we have a Tom Brady receiving core without Tom Brady.  

This is the problem.

The reason teams that have been successful with young QB's of late have wanted elite talent at WR for their young QB is to create big matchup advantages for them to prevent defenses from forcing them to play the game at it's most cerebral and mistake-free level.   

Unless Foster really busts out the Bills WR group is very standard fare.........Bob Foster and John Brown are exactly the kinda' X&Z combo that the Steelers created the now basic "cover 2" in the 70's to stop.............fast guys best suited to vertical routes who will be challenged catching a lot of short to intermediate passes underneath.........and Allen is the big armed QB that's probably not best suited to nickel and dime defenses with accurate short passes for 10-12 play drives.   

We can hope that Allen re-invents himself I guess. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

If Allen throws enough balls his way, a healthy John Brown will be the dynamic receiver the Bills are hoping for. He has proven to be very capable...I am rooting for the guy.

I don’t know what round, but I’m taking John brown in fantasy. I see big plays in his future with his speed/routes and allen’s Arm. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t know what round, but I’m taking John brown in fantasy. I see big plays in his future with his speed/routes and allen’s Arm. 

I like the guy, and unless someone walks in off the street or a block buster trade is unfolding...he will have to do!

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This is the problem.

The reason teams that have been successful with young QB's of late have wanted elite talent at WR for their young QB is to create big matchup advantages for them to prevent defenses from forcing them to play the game at it's most cerebral and mistake-free level.   

Unless Foster really busts out the Bills WR group is very standard fare.........Bob Foster and John Brown are exactly the kinda' X&Z combo that the Steelers created the now basic "cover 2" in the 70's to stop.............fast guys best suited to vertical routes who will be challenged catching a lot of short to intermediate passes underneath.........and Allen is the big armed QB that's probably not best suited to nickel and dime defenses with accurate short passes for 10-12 play drives.   

This is why cole Beasley was also signed

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This is the problem.

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

This is why cole Beasley was also signed

To elaborate on what JfR is saying, I think that's why Allen and Beasley have been spending so much time working on timing routes. Beasley's bread and butter is the 8-15 yard routes that are the big weakness of the Cover 2. With Shady and Gore in the backfield vs a 7 man front, and if Beasley can reliably tear apart zone coverage for chunk plays, teams will be forced to abandon Cover 2 pretty fast.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This is the problem.

That’s why I wanted Butler so bad. He could go over the top with his size and still make the plays downfield even when the D try’s to take that away. Foster and Brown aren’t winning unless they get behind someone. 

Warm take (cause it's actually a solid possibility of happening) John has a better year than Antonio Brown, leading us to the playoffs. 

Allen is going to make Brown look really good , and vice versa. Phenomenal pick up. Beasley/Smoke >>>>>AB

8 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

That’s why I wanted Butler so bad. He could go over the top with his size and still make the plays downfield even when the D try’s to take that away. Foster and Brown aren’t winning unless they get behind someone. 

I disagree about Brown. Dude can legit run the whole route tree. It's all about his health. Even in Arizona he was more than just a speedster but this is another deep positional group. We don't need a bonafide#1 imo. 

31 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Warm take (cause it's actually a solid possibility of happening) John has a better year than Antonio Brown, leading us to the playoffs. 

Allen is going to make Brown look really good , and vice versa. Phenomenal pick up. Beasley/Smoke >>>>>AB

I disagree about Brown. Dude can legit run the whole route tree. It's all about his health. Even in Arizona he was more than just a speedster but this is another deep positional group. We don't need a bonafide#1 imo. 

From a pure talent perspective I’ll take AB over John Brown and Cole Beasley every day of the week.

12 hours ago, badassgixxer05 said:

Yes, and just in case anyone hasn't noticed, Cole Beasley has looked really really good in camp. Like check this guy for stickum type good. Doesn't drop anything.

Just what I expected. Beasley is the consumate pro. I remember him discussing how to likes to talk to Allen a lot...get in his head. This is a good budding connection.

12 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

To elaborate on what JfR is saying, I think that's why Allen and Beasley have been spending so much time working on timing routes. Beasley's bread and butter is the 8-15 yard routes that are the big weakness of the Cover 2. With Shady and Gore in the backfield vs a 7 man front, and if Beasley can reliably tear apart zone coverage for chunk plays, teams will be forced to abandon Cover 2 pretty fast.

I just don't see Beasley being an answer to what I am talking about at all.    He will be addressed with a nickel CB and LB help.    He's still an underneath receiver.   The vacated area is most likely going to be deep middle...........and that's not really what Beasley does.    If you have a basic WR corps like the Bills that's where you want a top TE to take advantage of deep middle.    It looks simple on TV but it's a very risky, tough throw and that's why defense's permit it and offenses prefer a big target to minimize the risk of turnover by overthrow or collision.   The Bills obviously don't have one of those tight ends.     

It's going to be up to Daboll to be creative and hopefully the OL and run game can force safeties into the box but on paper this team isn't well positioned to throw the football when they are forced to.    Unless Allen makes an incredible leap forward and/or Robert Foster really turns into a beast they just don't have the personnel to dictate terms to opposing pass defense's, IMO.

I know folks don't want to hear that but I guarantee you that McDermott and Frazier wouldn't be losing any sleep at the thought of making a Josh Allen "be a quarterback" and throw short to intermediate passes to the likes of John Brown and Cole Beasley.........that's what their defense WANTS to force teams to do.  

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I just don't see Beasley being an answer to what I am talking about at all.    He will be addressed with a nickel CB and LB help.    He's still an underneath receiver.   The vacated area is most likely going to be deep middle...........and that's not really what Beasley does.    If you have a basic WR corps like the Bills that's where you want a top TE to take advantage of deep middle.    It looks simple on TV but it's a very risky, tough throw and that's why defense's permit it and offenses prefer a big target to minimize the risk of turnover by overthrow or collision.   The Bills obviously don't have one of those tight ends.     

It's going to be up to Daboll to be creative and hopefully the OL and run game can force safeties into the box but on paper this team isn't well positioned to throw the football when they are forced to.    Unless Allen makes an incredible leap forward and/or Robert Foster really turns into a beast they just don't have the personnel to dictate terms to opposing pass defense's, IMO.

I know folks don't want to hear that but I guarantee you that McDermott and Frazier wouldn't be losing any sleep at the thought of making a Josh Allen "be a quarterback" and throw short to intermediate passes to the likes of John Brown and Cole Beasley.........that's what their defense WANTS to force teams to do.  

In the final analysis, Shady, Singletary, Yeldon, Knox underneath doesn't sound bad if they keep the chains moving our way. If we're talking garbage time yards or an inability to hit the long ball, that's a different scenario. I have to add a personal bias -- I think Singletary and Knox will eventually be very solid performers. DS gives "shifty" a whole new meaning. Knox has incredible speed for a man his size and will often serve as a medium to deep option. Knox can certainly outrun a few LB's and does not seem to have problems catching the ball. He is said to be a solid blocker and he'll get his chances early on. DS may not get as many early chances unless he has a big preseason.

Edited by GreggTX