Tipping Getting Out of Control

Mark80

1 minute ago, teef said:

pull a harvey weinstein and show up to the door wearing nothing but a robe with the front untied.

That's actually not a bad idea.  But I normally like to wait until I know a girl really, really likes me before I show her the inch of Puerto Rican love.

Just now, Gugny said:

That's actually not a bad idea.  But I normally like to wait until I know a girl really, really likes me before I show her the inch of Puerto Rican love.

take advice from the younger generation and let it hang out there.  nothing says, "i'm into you" like forcing your junk on someone.  

When I've seen the tipping option  (mostly on ipad terminals) it's mostly at Asian restaurants that are owner operated.   I never tip when it's carry-out.  I also see it at the Vietnamese barber I go to, and I do tip those folks when i get a haircut.   

13 minutes ago, zow2 said:

When I've seen the tipping option  (mostly on ipad terminals) it's mostly at Asian restaurants that are owner operated.   I never tip when it's carry-out.  I also see it at the Vietnamese barber I go to, and I do tip those folks when i get a haircut.   

$5 is my standard barber tip.  My haircut costs $13 before the tip.

Edited by Gugny

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Great share, thanks!

I disagree with this columnist 100%.

When having a sit-down meal, my tipping scale always starts at 20%.  You bet your ass it goes down if the service is not good.  It can go up with exemplary service, too.

One argument in the column, "what if you have a bad day at work, or you're in a bad mood?  Don't you still get paid?"  ... that doesn't hold water.

I wish servers were paid a livable wage and tipping wasn't necessary or customary.  Unfortunately, that's not the case.  And servers know that, in most cases, if they provide decent service, they'll get decent tips.  If they can't fake it through a bad day, then shame on them. 

It sucks that servers need to rely on tips.  But that's their chosen profession and they all know it going in.  So I don't consider it my responsibility to fork over a minimum of 20%, even if the service is horrible.  Not a chance.

We were in Spain last month where it was refreshing to see that the check usually came out and there wasn’t even a line to add a tip. It just....wasn’t a thing at most places. (Some however were catching on and maybe circling a little line at the bottom that said no tip is included...hint, hint.)

I’m on my way to lunch at a place that has $2 tacos on Mondays if you join there little “club”. They often don’t charge me for my drink, so I get out for like $4. I’m not doing 20% on that, so the tip may be as large as the check depending upon what’s in my wallet. (A lot of servers seemed to have figured out if they throw in the iced tea for free, that $2.95+/-  ends up in their pocket!) 

On 5/28/2019 at 8:11 AM, row_33 said:

if i want to build a relationship with them i tip a bit, they remember it and help out sometimes.....

I think I'm a good tipper. If the service is good I have no problem going over that 15%. I have no problem going below it if its terrible. 

9 minutes ago, Gugny said:

$5 is my standard barber tip.  My haircut costs $13 before the tip.

Sounds like you go to the same kinda places I do. Of course here in the Bay Area that $13 hair cut is $20 but it's still the cheapest around. $5 is my standard tip as well. That may even too much cause my cut is a #4 on top #3 on the sides. Done in less than 10 minutes.

7 minutes ago, Dante said:

I think I'm a good tipper. If the service is good I have no problem going over that 15%. I have no problem going below it if its terrible. 

Sounds like you go to the same kinda places I do. Of course here in the Bay Area that $13 hair cut is $20 but it's still the cheapest around. $5 is my standard tip as well. That may even too much cause my cut is a #4 on top #3 on the sides. Done in less than 10 minutes.

Yeah, the place I go to is the longest-running barbershop in town.  Two chairs, the same two barbers (female - and NO).  They're both good, so I never have to wait long.  My cut is also basic and quick.  Most of their patrons are older and I'm assuming they tip a buck or two, tops.  I don't mind giving $5, as I get my hair cut, on average, about every 6 weeks or so.  And now my son is in a long hair phase, so it's just been me for a while!

5 bucks is a good tip for a standard haircut.  I asked the girl who has been cutting my hair for a while and she said she’s thrilled with a $5 tip on a $16 haircut.  I am picky about my hair, so I want to be sure to keep her happy.  Always throw her a $10 Dunkin’ Donuts gift card for Christmas too.

On 10/12/2019 at 12:51 PM, Gugny said:

I just ordered $100 worth of food (pizza, wings, antipasto) for my team at work because they're here on a Saturday.

I tipped the delivery guy $5.

I think that's fair ... but now I'm second guessing myself.

Yikes.   That driver hates you.     

Gotta throw the guy a 10 spot at least. 

11 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Not sure if this was included in this thread already, but came across this today:

I understand the argument that you should always tip well. It makes a lot of sense if you assume the fact that customers are responsible for paying an employer's workers makes sense in the first place. I think the entire idea of tipping is stupid though.

Poor service 20% my ass.      Wapo loves ??

I say... Get rid of tipping... Pay the employee the same as now... Like poo.  Then watch the truly crappy service ensue.  None of this "subsidizing wages BS". 

Let the fun begin.  Reduce everything down to lowest common denominator.

LMAO....I love it... Nobody kissing anybody's azz.

You get what you get and you don't have a fit!  LoL... Take your money and stuff it, treat it like a bribe if offered.  

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

No prices should be adjusted to include reasonable wage which may result in lower sales and may result in employees not wanting to work busy shifts if they go to straight service charge.  I could see restaurants going the route of supermarkets with self-service since in many places the server does not even collect the money but restaurant expects you to use a tablet to pay so servers can wait more tables.

I have not worked in this field for a long time but when I was bartender there were people who liked working quiet shifts because they would study between shifts and there were some who liked to work when it was busy for tips often were 10 times their salary.

You cannot have it both ways unless restaurants/bars etc are willing to give bonus on sales like commissions.

When I started going out to eat as a professional guidelines on tips were rarely on bills or menus but when they started popping up it was 10-15%, then 15%,18%, 20% and then 15%, 20% and 25%, I have even seen restaurants now suggest 20%, 25% and 30%.    One of our regular restaurants switched to a service charge and service went down tremendously and we communicated to manager and on the survey form we were given as part of bill that service quality was down and we would not return.

I have worked some commission jobs briefly and in each case the commission was far less than advertised potential so did not work long  I am not a salesman although when I was bartender I used to get good tips for a while.

• 2 years later...
On 10/12/2019 at 2:07 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

You need to be sent to WAF re-education camp.  Fall program is getting ready to fire up here in Illiana!  Matriculate now, don't wait for that "polite" knock on the door!

I gave the cleaning lady at the hotel in Nashville a bigger tip... And I still left the room not like a slobola. That $20 was burning a hole in my pocket anyway!

Cleaning ladies get my beer cans as a tip

On 10/14/2019 at 10:31 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

I say... Get rid of tipping... Pay the employee the same as now... Like poo.  Then watch the truly crappy service ensue.  None of this "subsidizing wages BS". 

Let the fun begin.  Reduce everything down to lowest common denominator.

LMAO....I love it... Nobody kissing anybody's azz.

You get what you get and you don't have a fit!  LoL... Take your money and stuff it, treat it like a bribe if offered.  

Does that include not leaving any drinks for the lock operator?  I think some boaters feel they have to apologize for waking the guy up.🤣

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

For bar tipping, is a buck/drink still acceptable? If I'm paying cash as I go (no tab) that's pretty much my rule. If I run a tab, I'll usually tip 20%.

my understanding from years ago was that it was a buck a beer and two for a drink someone has to make.  i just run a tab and pay on that...usually 20% as well.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.