Tipping Getting Out of Control

Mark80

11 hours ago, Gugny said:

Is tipping appliance delivery guys customary?

If it involves heavy moving, I'll tip. Last two times I moved, I gave each worker $40. Cause quite frankly, they had it all done in less than four hours, and that includes driving everything from one location to the other. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/2/2019 at 2:26 PM, Logic said:

Personally, when it comes to housekeepers, I think it should be proportional to how difficult their job will be once you leave. 

For instance, if I only stay a night or two and don't leave behind a bunch of trash or other gross things, I'll just leave a dollar or two. If I stay for FIVE days and leave behind pizza boxes and full trash bins and piles of towels, I'll leave a $5 or even $10 if the situation warrants.

Really, ALL tipping should be proportional. If I store a few bags for a guest for the day, a $2 tip is sufficient. If I store an entire CART worth of heavy luggage, valuables, etc, $2 becomes less reasonable. I used to deliver pizzas, same thing. If I travel 2 miles to bring you one pizza and some wings, a couple bucks is fine. If I travel 7 miles in a snowstorm to bring you two sheet pizzas, two containers of wings, and a few 2-liters, $2 is no longer appropriate.

I remember delivering pizza on Fillmore ave on the east side of buffalo

At closing I delivered a couple sheets and 50 wings to a ran down house.

She hands me a 100 and 4 quarters. I think the quarters are my tip and I hand her the change for the 100

She then proceeded to tell me she wanted a dollar bill back for the quarters ?

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I remember delivering pizza on Fillmore St on the east side of buffalo

At closing I delivered a couple sheets and 50 wings to a ran down house.

She hands me a 100 and 4 quarters. I think the quarters are my tip and I hand her the change for the 100

She then proceeded to tell me she wanted a dollar bill back for the quarters ?

Wow. That is legendary ***** right there.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

Wow. That is legendary ***** right there.

This one time in Lovejoy I delivered to a bunch of ladies partying

They proceeded to get me drunk and smoke me up ... This one Chick even let me motor boat her ?

I was late back to work

25 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

They proceeded to get me drunk and smoke me up ... This one Chick even let me motor boat her ?

I was late back to work

Right on. I used to get offers to smoke alllll the time when I was driving delivery. I took the first few people up on their offers, but I quickly realized I couldn't possibly get through a shift if I kept it up.

In addition to driving, I also ran the deep fryer, so anything that required frying (mozz sticks, chicken fingers, wings, etc) was up to me. My favorite "trick" used to be to intentionally include extra of whatever wings or mozzarella sticks or fries I was putting in the container for a delivery run. If they ordered six mozz sticks, I'd put eight in the container, etc. Then, on the delivery run, I would very caaareeeffully reach into the container and take out the extra goodies I had included and eat them. I mean..I made sure not to touch the other food items. I'm not a monster. It was still a dick move on my part, though. Sure paired well with the frequent smoke-outs, though! ?

• Haha (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I was late back to work

If one of those chicks was named Tommy and you delivered to Gold St....

Grins

I was a server in Lewiston, NY in the mid 1980's. Every Wednesday for six months, I waited on this same couple. I used to bring them extra portions, free wine and everything else. The problem was that they never tipped me. I started to feel awkward like there was something wrong with me. Finally one evening, I followed them to their car and asked them why they never tipped. The man turned and threw a Canadian dollar at me! They never came back.

• Haha (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Back in 2000, my live in girlfriend decided she was going to buy a house. Of course I was down with it because after all of our trips to NYC, I thought she was special. Anyway, I wasn't hurting money wise so I tipped the entire moving crew and threw in a little more so they could get a good case of beer. When she returned home from work and found out about the tip, she went from man to man and demanded the money back. The looks on the men's faces said it all! I wasn't with her much longer!

As I was reading this, I was totally prepared to read that your girlfriend ended up getting gangbanged by the moving crew.

I'm not gonna lie .... I was a little disappointed.

• Haha (+1) 1

• 2 months later...

I just ordered $100 worth of food (pizza, wings, antipasto) for my team at work because they're here on a Saturday.

I tipped the delivery guy $5.

I think that's fair ... but now I'm second guessing myself.

25 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I just ordered $100 worth of food (pizza, wings, antipasto) for my team at work because they're here on a Saturday.

You’re right, that was $2 too much. You must be rich! 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

They're definitely gonna ***** with your food if you ever order there again. At the least you'll be the lowest priority delivery.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

You need to be sent to WAF re-education camp.  Fall program is getting ready to fire up here in Illiana!  Matriculate now, don't wait for that "polite" knock on the door!

I gave the cleaning lady at the hotel in Nashville a bigger tip... And I still left the room not like a slobola. That $20 was burning a hole in my pocket anyway!

It is really starting to irritate me that fast casual places (eg, Panera Bread; ice cream stands) now have these prompts for tips when you pay by credit card. I still remain puzzled how handing me a cup for coffee and a plate with a bagel on it calls for a tip. If it does, then we should be tipping at McDonald’s and Wendy’s too. 

• Like (+1) 2

The local bakery I go to has a tip jar.  In some places I can see why, if somebody buys like $75 worth of goods such as cakes, breads, other pastries, etc... and makes the lives difficult of the person working behind the counter with their demands.  Ironically though those people don't tip but the customers who purchase just a loaf of bread all ready cut do.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rocket94 said:

I can't stand seeing tip jars at drive thru's ! When I was a server, I ran my butt off for hours and I went through a lot of shoes...earn your damn tips!

So.  One thing that was always preached to me as kid: No matter how hard you've had it, make it easier on the next.  Do your best.

Factor the tip in.  20-30%... If you can't afford, maybe you shouldn't be out spending the money.  Save it for another time.

Of course... Tip jars are just for collecting loose change.

What's more embarrassing?  Seeing fire fighters and police panhandle in traffic with the boot... Or call on the phone by professional fundraisers.  Raise my damn taxes if they can't make ends meet.  They shouldn't have to beg.  They get paid fair enough... Servers, service help have their wages suppressed because they (the ownership, etc..) pit the cheap consumer against the labor.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

So.  One thing that was always preached to me as kid: No matter how hard you've had it, make it easier on the next.  Do your best.

Factor the tip in.  20-30%... If you can't afford, maybe you shouldn't be out spending the money.  Save it for another time.

Of course... Tip jars are just for collecting loose change.

What's more embarrassing?  Seeing fire fighters and police panhandle in traffic with the boot... Or call on the phone by professional fundraisers.  Raise my damn taxes if they can't make ends meet.  They shouldn't have to beg.  They get paid fair enough... Servers, service help have their wages suppressed because they put the cheap consumer against the labor.

I just wanted a cup of Starbucks. I can afford $2.75! ha!

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.