Tipping Getting Out of Control

Mark80

Is it me, or is tipping getting out of control?  Now, I go to a take-out place and they have the Ipad POS terminals that they hand you with tipping options that you have to decide what to tip.  Many with 15% on the low end up to 25%.  For take-out?  Seriously?  This is BS.  You don't even get a chance to decide if it was good service or not first, it's when you place your order.  You shouldn't be prompted to tip anything for take-out IMO.  But, I don't want to seem like that jerk that doesn't tip anything (they are making my food after all), so I'm screwed.  I'm just going to start bringing cash everywhere so I don't have to go through this.  It's total BS.  Just charge me what you want me to pay and be done with it.  Raise the prices even, I don't care, just stop this tipping for everything crap.

Edited by Mark80
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's pretty rare for me to have to make up on my mind on a tip prior to receiving the food.  I can only think of one place where I ran into this.  Still, I stick to the simple rule that if my meal does not involve a waiter, I'm not tipping.  I supposed I might bend that one a bit if I was a big fan of the place or knew the workers well, but that's it.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Is it me, or is tipping getting out of control?  Now, I go to a take-out place and they have the Ipad POS terminals that they hand you with tipping options that you have to decide what to tip.  Many with 15% on the low end up to 25%.  For take-out?  Seriously?  This is BS.  You don't even get a chance to decide if it was good service or not first, it's when you place your order.  You shouldn't be prompted to tip anything for take-out IMO.  But, I don't want to seem like that jerk that doesn't tip anything (they are making my food after all), so I'm screwed.  I'm just going to start bringing cash everywhere so I don't have to go through this.  It's total BS.  Just charge me what you want me to pay and be done with it.  Raise the prices even, I don't care, just stop this tipping for everything crap.

that's why i get off my duff and make my meals except 1 or 2 times a week.

12 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I think tipping for takeout is nuts.  I've never done it and I never will.

if i want to build a relationship with them i tip a bit, they remember it and help out sometimes.....

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, row_33 said:

if i want to build a relationship with them i tip a bit, they remember it and help out sometimes.....

I don't mind tipping for delivery.  Why?  Because of the convenience of not having to leave my house for dinner.

If I'm using my time, my car and my gas to get my food that I'm paying for with my money ... I'll be damned if I'm going to tip someone for giving me the food.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I don't mind tipping for delivery.  Why?  Because of the convenience of not having to leave my house for dinner.

If I'm using my time, my car and my gas to get my food that I'm paying for with my money ... I'll be damned if I'm going to tip someone for giving me the food.

you can develop customer relations with a place and get discounts

a few friends have a sizeable discount with a local restaurant as they eat there twice a week

10 minutes ago, row_33 said:

you can develop customer relations with a place and get discounts

a few friends have a sizeable discount with a local restaurant as they eat there twice a week

I very rarely get takeout.  If I was a frequent flier to an establishment for takeout, I would likely tip.

12 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I very rarely get takeout.  If I was a frequent flier to an establishment for takeout, I would likely tip.

for sure

i don't tip for lunchtime meals in the food courts, pizza places that i frequented often i would tip even for takeout

I will tip if the food is waiting for me when I arrive.  Only a few dollars, and only if it's a real restaurant; mostly because they have to preserve the integrity of the food, instead of just sticking it into a styrofoam box.

I used to tip 20% at vietnamese cafe I frequented about once a month.

I Built a relationship with a particular waitress who practically shoved all the other servers aside to get to me first. I always ordered the same thing so all I had to do was walk in, answer yes to her question of "same order", shop at the asian market next door, then drop off a $20 ($15 order) at the counter, as I was handed my food,  on my way back to my car.

I never realized how much I relied on this simple routine, until my waitress wasn't at work. Consequently, I had to wait in line to put my order in when I arrived, then forced to wait 10mins after my shopping trip as they had not gotten to my order yet. There was no tip on that one.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I think tipping for takeout is nuts.  I've never done it and I never will.

I’ll sometimes have a beverage while I wait for the food to be ready. They get a blended tip, too much for the drink, but not enough for the meal. 

Other times I’ll have just a cup of soup, plus the free chips and salsa, along with a drink. On a $7 check I’ll never tip less than $2. I’ll add another dollar or two  when they don’t charge me $2.95 for the iced tea. 

The dog groomer has a new POS terminal that makes it awkward to not tip. I want my dog well cared for, so I’m glad to tip there. They call me 10-15 minutes before she’s done so my girl doesn’t have to be crated while waiting for me to arrive. She freaks in a crate, so it’s worth an extra 15%. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’ll sometimes have a beverage while I wait for the food to be ready. They get a blended tip, too much for the drink, but not enough for the meal. 

Other times I’ll have just a cup of soup, plus the free chips and salsa, along with a drink. On a $7 check I’ll never tip less than $2. I’ll add another dollar or two  when they don’t charge me $2.95 for the iced tea. 

The dog groomer has a new POS terminal that makes it awkward to not tip. I want my dog well cared for, so I’m glad to tip there. They call me 10-15 minutes before she’s done so my girl doesn’t have to be crated while waiting for me to arrive. She freaks in a crate, so it’s worth an extra 15%. 

Yup.  If I go to a bar to get takeout food, I'll start a tab and have a beer or three whilst waiting; I, too, will blend the tip.  My normal tip at a bar is $1/drink.  I'll throw an extra $2-$3 on the tab for the food. 

• Like (+1) 1

it is great that we now have the option of delivery, through taxi services (and the like), for 90% of restaurants now, it will come at a cost of service

what do people want, to be paid for ordering food delivered to their home???  

Also, cash tips are much more appreciated since Servers don't have to declare the full amount.

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

it is great that we now have the option of delivery, through taxi services (and the like), for 90% of restaurants now, it will come at a cost of service

what do people want, to be paid for ordering food delivered to their home???  

Imagine trying to explain to your grandkids how awful it was not being able to order food by drone delivery.

13 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

Also, cash tips are much more appreciated since Servers don't have to declare the full amount.

Imagine trying to explain to your grandkids how awful it was not being able to order food by drone delivery.

the entitlement is hilarious, need a deep recession to teach people that they don't have a right to toss around $100 on prepared meals daily if they are middle class or lower

:D

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Yup.  If I go to a bar to get takeout food, I'll start a tab and have a beer or three whilst waiting; I, too, will blend the tip.  My normal tip at a bar is $1/drink.  I'll throw an extra $2-$3 on the tab for the food. 

My nephew lives with a young lady who was a bartender in a nice place in NYC. She did NOT expect 15-20% on each $20 drink. It took her several seconds to pour that glass of wine, is that worth $4? She was on the receiving end, and SHE didn’t think so. She also got to comp a BUNCH of free drinks daily. She made a good living there, which is important if you live in NYC! My wife works there most of the time now, it ain’t cheap! 

12 minutes ago, Augie said:

My nephew lives with a young lady who was a bartender in a nice place in NYC. She did NOT expect 15-20% on each $20 drink. It took her several seconds to pour that glass of wine, is that worth $4? She was on the receiving end, and SHE didn’t think so. She also got to comp a BUNCH of free drinks daily. She made a good living there, which is important if you live in NYC! My wife works there most of the time now, it ain’t cheap! 

case by case basis for every social transaction

sometimes you have to pay through the nose for services....  don't if you don't have to.....

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.