Tipping Getting Out of Control

Mark80

as a general rule, I always leave a tip. 

something like....

don't stand up in a canoe

or maybe

don't piss in the wind

or maybe

if it smells like fish, ....

or maybe.....

Edited by Foxx

On 5/31/2019 at 7:20 PM, Augie said:

I’m not cheap. I promise. I’m generous at restaurants and we tip very well on a cruise. My wife spends more than half her month in hotel rooms. This week was NYC, Miami then back to Atlanta. Next week is Boston. We were at a big wedding in The Bahamas a few weeks ago. Nobody tipped the maids. Trust me, tipping for maids at hotels is not normal. I’m not opposed to those who do. Good for you, but it’s not normal. 

Not judging anyone in any way here. 

As someone who has worked in hotels for 6 years now, I can tell you that this is not accurate. I have a good rapport with the housekeeping supervisors, and it absolutely IS normal to tip housekeepers. Not a ton, but a couple dollars on the nightstand, at least.

While I'm here, I just wanted to say this: TIP YOUR BELLMEN AND VALETS!

If someone hefts 150 lbs of luggage out of your car and up to the 15th floor and gives you restaurant suggestions, all while making small talk and explaining the hotel's amenities, GIVE THEM A FEW BUCKS! If someone looks after your rare, nice vehicle and ensures that it gets pulled up and parked promptly, GIVE THEM A FEW BUCKS!

I can't TELL you how many people don't even think to tip hotel workers who are doing  work that should OBVIOUSLY warrant tips. It's nuts.

I’m wondering how far the “tip creep” will go? Will it get to the point where pretty much everyone gets tipped? Cop who responded to your neighbors house for noise? Tip him a few bucks. Pilot got you to your destination? Tip him. Accountant did your taxes? Tip for you. Cashier at the grocery store bagged your goods? Tip! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/29/2019 at 9:40 AM, row_33 said:

when I've paid the bill at Chinese restaurants, people at my table of that background have upbraided me for being way too generous...

okay....

people are going to whine and kvetch over an extra $3 ????

I''ve also been accused of being a generous tipper, and will also leave cash (to reduce taxes) when tipping even on card transactions.

One time, I noticed that my grandma would take some of the cash from the table right before we left, whenever she believed I had tipped too much. Then I caught my mother doing it too!

Neither of them grew up in this country so I understand the reluctance. Over the years, 've slowly worn the family down to at least allow the occasional tip over 20%

57 minutes ago, Logic said:

As someone who has worked in hotels for 6 years now, I can tell you that this is not accurate. I have a good rapport with the housekeeping supervisors, and it absolutely IS normal to tip housekeepers. Not a ton, but a couple dollars on the nightstand, at least.

Alright, I’ve found one buddy who tips for extended stays. This is just weird to me. Bellmen and valets, of course. What’s next? Your kid’s school bus driver? They do an important job, and it’s rough at times, but do you tip them? Where is the line? It’s not that we’re cheap at all. 

Whoever mentioned the restroom attendants struck a nerve. I’ve been handling my business without assistance for quite some time. Thanks, I’m good. 

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

I''ve also been accused of being a generous tipper, and will also leave cash (to reduce taxes) when tipping even on card transactions.

One time, I noticed that my grandma would take some of the cash from the table right before we left, whenever she believed I had tipped too much. Then I caught my mother doing it too!

Neither of them grew up in this country so I understand the reluctance. Over the years, 've slowly worn the family down to at least allow the occasional tip over 20%

Early in my wife’s banking career her mentor taught her a lesson. He noticed her tip on an expense report and pointed out “on your own dime you can do whatever you want, but if the bank is paying you need to limit to X%.” I forget the exact limit, but she’s been very exact ever since, even if it’s not an expense item. My little math major even does the math right on the bill and shows her work. Haha

13 minutes ago, Augie said:

Early in my wife’s banking career her mentor taught her a lesson. He noticed her tip on an expense report and pointed out “on your own dime you can do whatever you want, but if the bank is paying you need to limit to X%.” I forget the exact limit, but she’s been very exact ever since, even if it’s not an expense item. My little math major even does the math right on the bill and shows her work. Haha

Side note to that. I’ve been wondering, should tips left be tax deductible? Should they not be considered a charitable contribution or gift for the receiver and therefore be non taxable? The receiver is simply receiving a gift. I feel that should be non taxable up to a certain amount. 

56 minutes ago, Augie said:

Alright, I’ve found one buddy who tips for extended stays. This is just weird to me. Bellmen and valets, of course. What’s next? Your kid’s school bus driver? They do an important job, and it’s rough at times, but do you tip them? Where is the line? It’s not that we’re cheap at all. 

Whoever mentioned the restroom attendants struck a nerve. I’ve been handling my business without assistance for quite some time. Thanks, I’m good. 

Personally, when it comes to housekeepers, I think it should be proportional to how difficult their job will be once you leave. 

For instance, if I only stay a night or two and don't leave behind a bunch of trash or other gross things, I'll just leave a dollar or two. If I stay for FIVE days and leave behind pizza boxes and full trash bins and piles of towels, I'll leave a $5 or even $10 if the situation warrants.

Really, ALL tipping should be proportional. If I store a few bags for a guest for the day, a $2 tip is sufficient. If I store an entire CART worth of heavy luggage, valuables, etc, $2 becomes less reasonable. I used to deliver pizzas, same thing. If I travel 2 miles to bring you one pizza and some wings, a couple bucks is fine. If I travel 7 miles in a snowstorm to bring you two sheet pizzas, two containers of wings, and a few 2-liters, $2 is no longer appropriate.

Edited by Logic

On 5/28/2019 at 10:58 AM, Mark80 said:

Is it me, or is tipping getting out of control?  Now, I go to a take-out place and they have the Ipad POS terminals that they hand you with tipping options that you have to decide what to tip.  Many with 15% on the low end up to 25%.  For take-out?  Seriously?  This is BS.  You don't even get a chance to decide if it was good service or not first, it's when you place your order.  You shouldn't be prompted to tip anything for take-out IMO.  But, I don't want to seem like that jerk that doesn't tip anything (they are making my food after all), so I'm screwed.  I'm just going to start bringing cash everywhere so I don't have to go through this.  It's total BS.  Just charge me what you want me to pay and be done with it.  Raise the prices even, I don't care, just stop this tipping for everything crap.

Any place I go the check is still on paper and the tip gets paid with cash. 

9 hours ago, Augie said:

It's called: Boxing Day in Canada.  And isn't N.Jersey a tip happy state.

Now... Where does this scenario fit into things:

Try getting a plastic boat (in one piece, sure you can probably do it the hard way) through 44 tons of steel and a 6 foot waterfall. You'll wanna tip your local run of the mill neighborhood lock operator so you can be on your merry way.  LoL

Anyway... People wanna give me stuff all the time, I usually say no thanks.  I think ethically it's about $100 bucks now.  But, who knows with Donny in office, probably much higher.  The one time I towed a broken down yacht through the lock and to the marina... I did take the bottle of Cuervo Gold and 151... Dude was selling the boat and didn't want to leave a stocked bar. LoL... He already ran out the fuel... Why I towed his sorry azz downstream.

Now... Leaving "garbage/refuse" on the wall is another story!  " I gotta "throw it out."

8 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

It's called: Boxing Day in Canada.  And isn't N.Jersey a tip happy state.

Now... Where does this scenario fit into things:

Try getting a plastic boat (in one piece, sure you can probably do it the hard way) through 44 tons of steel and a 6 foot waterfall. You'll wanna tip your local run of the mill neighborhood lock operator so you can be on your merry way.  LoL

Anyway... People wanna give me stuff all the time, I usually say no thanks.  I think ethically it's about $100 bucks now.  But, who knows with Donny in office, probably much higher.  The one time I towed a broken down yacht through the lock and to the marina... I did take the bottle of Cuervo Gold and 151... Dude was selling the boat and didn't want to leave a stocked bar. LoL... He already ran out the fuel... Why I towed his sorry azz downstream.

Now... Leaving "garbage/refuse" on the wall is another story!  " I gotta "throw it out."

Are you a public servant?

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Are you a public servant?

Gifts for public servants used to be under $20... It's more now... Ethically to $100, I believe now. It was November, they ran out of fuel in the middle of the channel... Had to move them about 3,000 out of harm's way. Anybody capable of moving in a hurry would have been put away for the winter.  Big commercial craft still ply the water, even through ice. I had to actually unhook the water circulation (keeps ice from forming around the vessel) systen of our boat before moving it. 

Any gifts offered can't be at the expense of others served or curry favor in the future.  Usually it's stuff like baskets around Christmas time... Stuff like soda, or other things left as refuse. Booze of course can't be opened or consumed on site.

23 minutes ago, row_33 said:

getting a pizza from a non-chain conglomerate now costs $40 Canadian all-inclusive, with delivery and tip and tax.

$25 for the conglomerate

this isn't remotely worth it.

It's always been around $30-40 bucks here as long as I can remember.  w/tip.

59 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Gifts for public servants used to be under $20... It's more now... Ethically to $100, I believe now. It was November, they ran out of fuel in the middle of the channel... Had to move them about 3,000 out of harm's way. Anybody capable of moving in a hurry would have been put away for the winter.  Big commercial craft still ply the water, even through ice. I had to actually unhook the water circulation (keeps ice from forming around the vessel) systen of our boat before moving it. 

Any gifts offered can't be at the expense of others served or curry favor in the future.  Usually it's stuff like baskets around Christmas time... Stuff like soda, or other things left as refuse. Booze of course can't be opened or consumed on site.

you getting really ripped off, we practically have a 13% tax on fast food.

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

If you were a NYC Cop you would be arrested and fired for Receiving Illegal Gratituities (NYS Penal Law 200.30).

Gratuities = Good act

Bribery = Bad act.

Edited by Bill from NYC

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.