Tipping Getting Out of Control

Mark80

2 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I can't believe how cheap this board is.

You don't tip hotel maids? 

I’m not cheap. I promise. I’m generous at restaurants and we tip very well on a cruise. My wife spends more than half her month in hotel rooms. This week was NYC, Miami then back to Atlanta. Next week is Boston. We were at a big wedding in The Bahamas a few weeks ago. Nobody tipped the maids. Trust me, tipping for maids at hotels is not normal. I’m not opposed to those who do. Good for you, but it’s not normal. 

Not judging anyone in any way here. 

34 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m not cheap. I promise. I’m generous at restaurants and we tip very well on a cruise. My wife spends more than half her month in hotel rooms. This week was NYC, Miami then back to Atlanta. Next week is Boston. We were at a big wedding in The Bahamas a few weeks ago. Nobody tipped the maids. Trust me, tipping for maids at hotels is not normal. I’m not opposed to those who do. Good for you, but it’s not normal. 

I don't leave a tip behind at the hotel room either. Maybe it's an out-of-sight, out-of-mind thing for me.

On the other hand, I've  been on 2 cruises, both with young kids. Room keeping set up some awesome/hilarious towel 'sculptures' during the day and they got tipped.

16 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

I don't leave a tip behind at the hotel room either. Maybe it's an out-of-sight, out-of-mind thing for me.

On the other hand, I've  been on 2 cruises, both with young kids. Room keeping set up some awesome/hilarious towel 'sculptures' during the day and they got tipped.

I admit, I have to look up appropriate cruise tips when we go. We have a cool one booked in the fall from Barcelona to Lisbon, so that may make it different?  I’ll check it out before we leave. The kids got a kick out of the towels, and happy kids are worth a few dollars. 

Edited by Augie

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I get it. When I go on trips it's 50/50 with my friends whenever the topic comes up.

When I was a kid my family owned a travel agency and that's how my mom and dad have always been. So maybe it's just engrained in me. 

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

I admit, I have to look up appropriate cruise tips when we go. We have a cool one booked in the fall, and I’ll check it out before we leave. The kids get a kick out of that, and happy kids is worth a few dollars. 

I despise the 'appropriate cruise tip' mentality. That rubs me the wrong way. Feels like something that should be built into the cost by the cruise lines, but maybe it's just my mentality since I don't cruise very often.

How about this: do/should we tip stewardesses (or whatever we call them these days) when we deplane? They performed a service with the safety demonstration and may have passed out a kindergarten size bag of pretzels and ginger ale or maybe even a pillow or blanket. Should I tip them on the double Bloody Mary I need to make it cross country? 

2 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I despise the 'appropriate cruise tip' mentality. That rubs me the wrong way. Feels like something that should be built into the cost by the cruise lines, but maybe it's just my mentality since I don't cruise very often.

How about this: do/should we tip stewardesses (or whatever we call them these days) when we deplane? They performed a service with the safety demonstration and may have passed out a kindergarten size bag of pretzels and ginger ale or maybe even a pillow or blanket. Should I tip them on the double Bloody Mary I need to make it cross country? 

Nah. Never heard of that one. Something to consider in that scenario is that stewardesses earn a living wage without tips. The average is around 45 grand. 

The average housekeeper, waiter, delivery guy, pizza clerk, and barber aren't making anything approaching 45 grand. 

Some may see that as a non factor, but it's something I personally take into consideration.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I always tip when I am leaving a hotel room, especially if I have been there a few days. 10 bucks per day approximately. 

1 minute ago, Q-baby! said:

I always tip when I am leaving a hotel room, especially if I have been there a few days. 10 bucks per day approximately. 

After our trip to a resort in the Bahamas a few weeks ago, that would have felt extreme. We were in a high end resort, but didn’t get the room refreshed until the third day. I went to the desk to ask for service and fresh towels....they brought dozens of towels. I could have invited everyone reading this for that many towels. 

I travel a good bit, and my wife’s is on the road more than at home. Good for you if you want to go that far beyond what is customary. I love you for that. My wife has recently been traveling with a group of HIGH level people staying at elite hotels. NOBODY thinks of tipping. Maybe it’s a matter of whether you stay at the Hampton Inn vs the St Regis?  

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

After our trip to a resort in the Bahamas a few weeks ago, that would have felt extreme. We were in a high end resort, but didn’t get the room refreshed until the third day. I went to the desk to ask for service and fresh towels....they brought dozens of towels. I could have invited everyone reading this for that many towels. 

I travel a good bit, and my wife’s is on the road more than at home. Good for you if you want to go that far beyond what is customary. I love you for that. My wife has recently been traveling with a group of HIGH level people staying at elite hotels. NOBODY thinks of tipping. Maybe it’s a matter of whether you stay at the Hampton Inn vs the St Regis?  

I think it started when my kids were younger and I felt guilty if we left it a little messy because we were in a hurry to get to some sporting event. We tend to stay at some pretty nice hotels we we travel on our own (we also travel a lot in an RV) but we stayed at the chain hotels with the other team members when it was for sports. Same tip either way. 

2 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I can't believe how cheap this board is.

You don't tip hotel maids? 

I go to a black barbershop and have been for years. I've never seen them refuse a tip, however it's mostly priced there as 20 bucks includes the tip.

The barbershop I go to has beige walls adorned with Betty Boop paraphernalia.  It's $13 for the cut and I give a $5 tip (that's 18 bucks, total).  I'm not sure if a black barbershop, in comparison to the beige one I go to, has different tipping expectations.

Can you help me understand?

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

The barbershop I go to has beige walls adorned with Betty Boop paraphernalia.  It's $13 for the cut and I give a $5 tip (that's 18 bucks, total).  I'm not sure if a black barbershop, in comparison to the beige one I go to, has different tipping expectations.

My barbershop has mauve walls. I will check with @Ol Dirty B to see how much I should tip.

On 5/31/2019 at 11:36 AM, Limeaid said:

I think he means 1/4 brick.  It is California.

Lime..America has jumped up to a different level these days...those heavy loads contained dirt and plant junk.You would be surprised to see (numbers) how many people "grow solo" now ...this generation doesn't feel comfortable with meeting "Sammy the Stick" on a side street in the city any more.I know a retired cop that wants into the run (once it's legal).

Just My Two Cents Worth.

Peace

14 hours ago, Gugny said:

It's been explained to me as a cultural thing. The tip is basically included in what you pay. FWIW anyways.

BTW, 5 bucks on a 13 dollar haircut is solid.

21 hours ago, Gugny said:

I can't because you've totally taken the conversation out of context. But 5 on 13 is great.

15 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

My barbershop has mauve walls. I will check with @Ol Dirty B to see how much I should tip.

$50. I don't know what mauve walls are but you should go broke for sounding like someone who watches Bravo.

So 50 dollar tip for the mauve walls.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

I just ordered some food from our favorite local establishment (it's not a black establishment, in case Ol' DB is listening).  Close to closing time, but I called ahead to see what the cutoff was.  Paid by card over the phone.  Five minutes later, the girl calls me back and says since it's so close to closing, if I was going to tip on the card, she'd appreciate me telling her how much it would be.

I told her ... "I don't tip anyone, ever."  She said, "really???  oh."   Then I told her I was kidding and that I had cash for a tip.  She got a kick out of it.

Total is about $19.  I'm giving a $5 tip.

Edited by Gugny

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

I just ordered some food from our favorite local establishment (it's not a black establishment, in case Ol' DB is listening).  Close to closing time, but I called ahead to see what the cutoff was.  Paid by card over the phone.  Five minutes later, the girl calls me back and says since it's so close to closing, if I was going to tip on the card, she'd appreciate me telling her how much it would be.

I told her ... "I don't tip anyone, ever."  She said, "really???  oh."   Then I told her I was kidding and that I had cash for a tip.  She got a kick out of it.

You, Sir, are a Prick!

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

Gugny

• Those who wish to be must put aside the alien nation.
  •  
  • Gugny
  • Members
  • 21,733 posts

I think tipping for takeout is nuts.  I've never done it and I never will.

•  
Edited by Mike in Horseheads

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.