Tipping Getting Out of Control

Mark80

11 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

If you were a NYC Cop you would be arrested and fired for Receiving Illegal Gratituities (NYS Penal Law 200.30).

Gratuities = Good act

Bribery = Bad act.

Not illegal gratuities under the fed too.

Understand.  It wasn't a bribe.  It was a good act.  The equivalent would be a police cruiser pushing a disabled car off train tracks. How would I be arrested for that.

Good act.

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Understand.  It wasn't a bribe.  It was a good act.  The equivalent would be a police cruiser pushing a disabled car off train tracks. How would I be arrested for that.

Good act.

Depends on who's in the car.

12 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Depends on who's in the car.

It's not really the people... They'd be long gone.  Same on a boat. They jump off and swim.  It's the blocking of the channel or tying up the train tracks... Let alone the mess or enviro impact.

Public servants can receive gratuities.  But it has to ethically be done.  We take yearly ethics training.  The gratuities can't curry favor.  I still have to follow the law.  There are dollar amounts set.  $20 bucks was always the limit.  It's closer to $100 now.  It CAN'T be cash either.  I hope I am making that clear.  That's what the gratuity is valued at.  NOW, Don's been changing all that in recent years.  Lot looser now.

In no way shape or form will the gratuity influence the service.  Unlike the cops... That take "bribes" through those stickers people put on their cars by the license plates... Just by donating do they think they will get off a ticket? 

Heck... Some states incorporate them right into plate.  What's that suppose to signify?  "I donate to cops, so I am trying to influence not getting a ticket written... Look! I paid the graft already!"  /smh

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

On that matter of cops and tickets in 90s I bought a used caddy from 80s with under 15K miles on it.  It was only used for General transport and still had the insignia on it (four stars, npt stickers but literally metal stars).   It was one of them which had a 4/6/8 cylinder engine and engine would only use cylinders needed saving gas.

I was working on a base and came out and saw that all of the cars had a ticket on them but mine and I went inside and asked contact about it and where to move car.  He said not to worry about it, it is an internal base dispute and they will never do anything.  I told him my car did not have a ticket and he said "Really?" and went out to look at it. He told me it was a general staff car and they would never give a ticket to that car on base, too much political hassle.

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Good act.

You would be arrested if you took money for doing so because it would be considered taking a reward for performing your duties as a public servant.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

You would be arrested if you took money for doing so because it would be considered taking a reward for performing your duties as a public servant.

Yep!  I should have been clearer... Noooo cash, ever!

So many people love throwing stuff around... Donuts, pop, even a boater wanted to order a pizza 45 minutes early, then when they came through have it delivered on wall.  WTF!

Now... If they leave refuse lying around, we have to throw it away.  But, even straight up stuff like cans of coffee from the commercial boats are NOT contingent on any expectation of service.  Just a thank you.

Now... Not to be unfair to the cops... They are thee worst coming through as private citizens... They are always asking for preferential treatment. Trying to buy lunch, etc... One even came in via land, on duty, in uniform... Complaining how he couldn't get through with HazMat cargo.  He thought that being off duty, out fishing, that he should have priority... Even pulled the "I gotta get to work card, the watch commander will be mad."  WTF... A US Senator or Mayor of Chicago comes through NOT in a local, state, or federal official duty capacity... Thet get in the prescribed queue.

More and more of this BS is playing out now than it ever was in my 30 years.  People love to name drop.  Growing up, my Godfather was a cop in town, I wouldn't DARE use his name if I got a ticket... I would be too embarrassed.  Now my sister, LoL... God knows how many times... People bellyaching, invoking some kind of priviledge.  Shameless.  I think the shameless factor is hardwired in people.

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yep!  I should have been clearer... Noooo cash, ever!

So many people love throwing stuff around... Donuts, pop, even a boater wanted to order a pizza 45 minutes early, then when they came through have it delivered on wall.  WTF!

Now... If they leave refuse lying around, we have to throw it away.  But, even straight up stuff like cans of coffee from the commercial boats are NOT contingent on any expectation of service.  Just a thank you.

Now... Not to be unfair to the cops... They are thee worst coming through as private citizens... They are always asking for preferential treatment. Trying to buy lunch, etc... One even came in via land, on duty, in uniform... Complaining how he couldn't get through with HazMat cargo.  He thought that being off duty, out fishing, that he should have priority... Even pulled the "I gotta get to work card, the watch commander will be mad."  WTF... A US Senator or Mayor of Chicago comes through NOT in a local, state, or federal official duty capacity... Thet get in the prescribed queue.

More and more of this BS is playing out now than it ever was in my 30 years.  People love to name drop.  Growing up, my Godfather was a cop in town, I wouldn't DARE use his name if I got a ticket... I would be too embarrassed.  Now my sister, LoL... God knows how many times... People bellyaching, invoking some kind of priviledge.  Shameless.  I think the shameless factor is hardwired in people.

Let me be clear....I don't think that you are a crook if you get some sort of small reward for doing a great job. I am fine with it but the NYS Penal Law and the NYPD Department Policy disagree.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that too many DAs would take the case for a cop getting a free slice of pizza and a soda for catching a burglar of a pizza place. I have however seen a police officer lose 15 vacation days and get a transfer for this. A female cop I know lost 15 days for getting an extra scoop (free) at a Baskin Robbins Ice Cream Parlor after only paying for 1. Internal Affairs was watching the place and questioned the manager as if they were praising him for doing so, so he admitted to it. The manager was furious, he wanted no part of the cop getting screwed.

NYC Cops are more afraid of Internal Affairs than doing felony car stops. Much more. Things are not the way they are in the movies.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Let me be clear....I don't think that you are a crook if you get some sort of small reward for doing a great job. I am fine with it but the NYS Penal Law and the NYPD Department Policy disagree.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that too many DAs would take the case for a cop getting a free slice of pizza and a soda for catching a burglar of a pizza place. I have however seen a police officer lose 15 vacation days and get a transfer for this. A female cop I know lost 15 days for getting an extra scoop (free) at a Baskin Robbins Ice Cream Parlor after only paying for 1. Internal Affairs was watching the place and questioned the manager as if they were praising him for doing so, so he admitted to it. The manager was furious, he wanted no part of the cop getting screwed.

NYC Cops are more afraid of Internal Affairs than doing felony car stops. Much more. Things are not the way they are in the movies.

Totally agree!!!

Yeah... It's a fine line between thank yous and "expecting something in return."  Dicey.

Yet... Something has to check the moral integrity or corruption, graft, etc... Would run rampant.

5 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah... Pizza has always been a rip off here!  Sticker shock coming from Buffalo.

Roz's is low in price..across the board.I think he paid a lump sum for that little shop,short hours and he passed it down to his customers...

Pizza Factory turned over again..thumbs down.

We only tip the drivers..

P.S.Hope your dad is doing good.

3 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Roz's is low in price..across the board.I think he paid a lump sum for that little shop,short hours and he passed it down to his customers...

Pizza Factory turned over again..thumbs down.

We only tip the drivers..

P.S.Hope your dad is doing good.

Roz' is getting up there.  TK's not bad.

Watch the coupons...

On 6/2/2019 at 2:03 PM, Augie said:

Early in my wife’s banking career her mentor taught her a lesson. He noticed her tip on an expense report and pointed out “on your own dime you can do whatever you want, but if the bank is paying you need to limit to X%.” I forget the exact limit, but she’s been very exact ever since, even if it’s not an expense item. My little math major even does the math right on the bill and shows her work. Haha

Former job I had was the same way. They were okay with leaving a tip on our expenses, as long as we did not go over 20%. If we wanted to leave more, we'd have to leave cash. And they also would not allow alcohol as an expense. 

5 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Former job I had was the same way. They were okay with leaving a tip on our expenses, as long as we did not go over 20%. If we wanted to leave more, we'd have to leave cash. And they also would not allow alcohol as an expense. 

During my banking days we’d have regular meetings with people coming in from all over the state. After long days of meetings, we’d all meet up at the hotel bar where most of us were staying. Even the local folks showed up to attend these extravaganzas. Dozens of people with food and drink flowing. Especially the drinks! 

Standard procedure was to have the #2 ranking person present put it all on their card, with the top ranking person present then approving once submitted. Thousands easily on any given crazy night (back when things were “cheap”), occasionally with additional charges for stuff we broke. Procedures eventually changed with the charges having to be paid by the CEO, unless he was there and then Board approval was required. Ahhh, those were the days! 

• 4 weeks later...

I had a new washing machine delivered today (Lowe's).  I did not pay for installation, as it's three hoses; but I did pay to have them haul the old one away.

They were here on time.  They were extremely efficient and polite.  And they hooked it up (which took literally 3 minutes).

I quickly polled some friends about tipping appliance delivery guys.  The responses I got ranged from $5 to $10/each guy.

I gave one of the guys a 20 dollar bill and said, "thanks and here you go ... you two go grab a bite to eat or a couple beers."  He seemed very appreciative, but not necessarily shocked.

I had a new dryer delivered a few months ago and did NOT tip.  

Is tipping appliance delivery guys customary?

3 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

It has been a while since Crustgate. You really should start one of your cleverly worded polls to get to the answer.

I crushed it in Crustgate.  I'm going to quit on top with the polls.

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

I had a new washing machine delivered today (Lowe's).  I did not pay for installation, as it's three hoses; but I did pay to have them haul the old one away.

They were here on time.  They were extremely efficient and polite.  And they hooked it up (which took literally 3 minutes).

I quickly polled some friends about tipping appliance delivery guys.  The responses I got ranged from $5 to $10/each guy.

I gave one of the guys a 20 dollar bill and said, "thanks and here you go ... you two go grab a bite to eat or a couple beers."  He seemed very appreciative, but not necessarily shocked.

I had a new dryer delivered a few months ago and did NOT tip.  

Is tipping appliance delivery guys customary?

If they don't **** something up on the way into the house, yes, I always did it. I had a treadmill delivered 3 summers ago into the basement. The standard delivery was two men, out of the truck, to my garage and that was the farthest they would do it. I handed each a $20 and said "Please get it downstairs, boys." Zero complaints, it moved quickly, safely, and without issue.

12 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

If they don't **** something up on the way into the house, yes, I always did it. I had a treadmill delivered 3 summers ago into the basement. The standard delivery was two men, out of the truck, to my garage and that was the farthest they would do it. I handed each a $20 and said "Please get it downstairs, boys." Zero complaints, it moved quickly, safely, and without issue.

That's $40 well spent.  I've brought a treadmill down to two basements (we moved).  It's still here; she's not.  She asked if she could have it.  I said, "yup, but I'm not lifting it."  Still here.

Interesting thing happened to me the other day. I got Tacos and quesadillas at a local restaurant. It had workers who looked like ones who would be familiar with making tacos.. they had a card reader that was set up for tips and the guy declined the tip option. I wanted to give a tip so thankfully I had some cash and they had a jar there. You can get a crap load of tacos for 20 bucks. It would feel wrong not to leave something. I just wondered why he opted out of it..

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.