Tipping Getting Out of Control

Mark80

5 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

So... You can afford 4 bucks then...

Give a fin... Say: "Give me a buck back."

Or... If cheap... "2 back."

These days people pay Starbucks with plastic.   For small dollar transactions it’s often just wave/insert/slide the card.  Possibly even use a phone app.   No paper, no signature.  Tipping becomes a hassle.   

3 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Sometimes I do. I throw money in the  jar when I carry it. 

That's all they are asking for.  Just a little scratch.  Sometimes you may need that $2.25 for bus fare.  No worries.  What goes around comes around!

Just now, Gray Beard said:

These days people pay Starbucks with plastic.   For small dollar transactions it’s often just wave/insert/slide the card.  Possibly even use a phone app.   No paper, no signature.  Tipping becomes a hassle.   

Built into the program now in most places. Hit one button.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

That's all they are asking for.  Just a little scratch.  Sometimes you may need that $2.25 for bus fare.  No worries.  What goes around comes around!

I once lived off tips years ago. I understand. I really worked my butt off in some high volume restaurants. 

1 minute ago, Rocket94 said:

I once lived off tips years ago. I understand. I really worked my butt off in some high volume restaurants. 

Why Europe has got it right.  Tips should be an insult.  A direct reflection on poor philosophy of the owner... Like they can't pay them well?  Gotta pit the patron's economic sensibility (I am staring at you @Gugny LoL) against the help?  Sorry... To me that's parasitic.

No carrot on a stick needed. We're all in this together.  Each know their place in the hierarchy.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

Sometimes I use the drive thru through at Starbucks. I can pay with plastic and throw change in the jar at the window.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Built into the program now in most places. Hit one button.

16 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

Sometimes I use the drive thru through at Starbucks. I can pay with plastic and throw change in the jar at the window.

I asked my daughter about tipping with plastic. She said apps like Starbucks or small businesses that use iPads with card readers usually have an easy tip option and she is happy to use it.  Places that don’t make tipping plastic-friendly lose out because she rarely carries cash. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/12/2019 at 12:51 PM, Gugny said:

I just ordered $100 worth of food (pizza, wings, antipasto) for my team at work because they're here on a Saturday.

I tipped the delivery guy $5.

I think that's fair ... but now I'm second guessing myself.

Eh I personally think that's a tad low but not disrespectful

My nephew works at a super busy pizzeria and he usually gets 10-20 bucks on orders that large

Good a 175 dollar tip on a thousand dollar order the other day

2 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

I asked my daughter about tipping with plastic. She said apps like Starbucks or small businesses that use iPads with card readers usually have an easy tip option and she is happy to use it.  Places that don’t make tipping plastic-friendly lose out because she rarely carries cash. 

Yeah...I don't really carry a lot of cash anymore. At places like Starbucks, I can throw in change from my dashboard!

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 1:58 PM, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

They're definitely gonna ***** with your food if you ever order there again. At the least you'll be the lowest priority delivery.

I don't understand why.  It was a couple pizzas, an order of wings and a 1/2 tray of antipasto.  It's not like I had him cater for us.

I ordered out on Friday night and it came to $22.  I gave a $5 tip for that, too.  Should I expect a BJ because it was over 20%?  I just don't understand the logic.

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I don't understand why.  It was a couple pizzas, an order of wings and a 1/2 tray of antipasto.  It's not like I had him cater for us.

I ordered out on Friday night and it came to $22.  I gave a $5 tip for that, too.  Should I expect a BJ because it was over 20%?  I just don't understand the logic.

There's your first mistake. Expecting people to be logical. In reality, the optics of 5% just looks really cheap. Drivers will hate you.

1 minute ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

There's your first mistake. Expecting people to be logical. In reality, the optics of 5% just looks really cheap. Drivers will hate you.

That's a shame.  Sign of the times, I suppose.

Not sure if this was included in this thread already, but came across this today:

I understand the argument that you should always tip well. It makes a lot of sense if you assume the fact that customers are responsible for paying an employer's workers makes sense in the first place. I think the entire idea of tipping is stupid though.

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

Not sure if this was included in this thread already, but came across this today:

I understand the argument that you should always tip well. It makes a lot of sense if you assume the fact that customers are responsible for paying an employer's workers makes sense in the first place. I think the entire idea of tipping is stupid though.

Great share, thanks!

I disagree with this columnist 100%.

When having a sit-down meal, my tipping scale always starts at 20%.  You bet your ass it goes down if the service is not good.  It can go up with exemplary service, too.

One argument in the column, "what if you have a bad day at work, or you're in a bad mood?  Don't you still get paid?"  ... that doesn't hold water.

I wish servers were paid a livable wage and tipping wasn't necessary or customary.  Unfortunately, that's not the case.  And servers know that, in most cases, if they provide decent service, they'll get decent tips.  If they can't fake it through a bad day, then shame on them. 

It sucks that servers need to rely on tips.  But that's their chosen profession and they all know it going in.  So I don't consider it my responsibility to fork over a minimum of 20%, even if the service is horrible.  Not a chance.

On 5/29/2019 at 6:25 PM, Gray Beard said:

I’ve been to Europe a few times, and I always tell them to keep the change.  I don’t tip as much as I do in the US but I feel weird if I don’t leave anything.

I’ve noticed that tips have gone from 15% to 18% to 20% in the past ten years or so.  Who decided that?

I generally leave about $5 per night in a hotel, and I leave it every night so they know they will get something and maybe they’ll take a little more care with my room.  They probably don’t, but I like to think they do.  

I rarely tip for takeout, other than putting the change in the cup next to the register. 

the damn owners because they are too :censored:ing cheap to pay their employees!!!! 

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

the pizza delivery thing has become such a weird area.  i refuse to give 20% of the cost of the order.  ***** that.  if it's big, we give over 5 bucks, but no where near 20%.  most have delivery charges on them anyway.

1 minute ago, teef said:

the pizza delivery thing has become such a weird area.  i refuse to give 20% of the cost of the order.  ***** that.  if it's big, we give over 5 bucks, but no where near 20%.  most have delivery charges on them anyway.

I would like to add that I would gladly take the BJ from the girl who normally delivers to our house.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.