Entertainers That Died Young

Not enough love for Jerry Garcia.

Jerry smoked pot and cigarettes and was an alcoholic. He was diabetic and ate everything in sight. He was a heroin addict and who knows how much cocaine he snorted. He probably tripped on acid thousands of times and I think that he still lived until he was 53 or so.

There will always be people playing Jerry's music. RIP.

On 5/7/2019 at 2:42 PM, Gugny said:

Hendrix and Cobain were absolutely true talents.

Randy Rhodes would have been RIDICULOUS had he lived longer.

Amy Winehouse was a once in a generation-type talent, IMO.  She was supremely talented and a total throwback.

Patsy Cline had a voice of silk.  Total real deal.

John Bonham, to me, was the greatest rock drummer of all time.

Layne Staley, Scott Weiland and Freddie Mercury were three of the greatest front men in rock history.  Staley's voice was chilling.

Not sure if "young," = "too young to die," but if so, I'll throw George Michael, Prince and Michael Jackson in there, as well.

Prince may well have been the most talented musician (not vocalist) of anyone listed in this thread.  

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Prince may well have been the most talented musician (not vocalist) of anyone listed in this thread.  

You'll get no argument from me, there.  He was a truly gifted man.

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

You'll get no argument from me, there.  He was a truly gifted man.

Yeah his performance of “my guitar gently weeps” at the RRHOF performance leaves a bunch of talented musicians around him, sorry DC Tom, standing there gazing at him while they play.  What may be even crazier is that the producers were apparently reluctant to let him play as there had not been enough “practice.”  Apparently, much of what he did was spontaneous.  He’s like a Micheal Jordan having talent, that others with talent, have to look at and say “I wish I could do that.”

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Jerry smoked pot and cigarettes and was an alcoholic. He was diabetic and ate everything in sight. He was a heroin addict and who knows how much cocaine he snorted. He probably tripped on acid thousands of times and I think that he still lived until he was 53 or so.

Jerry wins for voice and guitar solos.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Sadly it was time for Jerry to go.  He did what he did, couldn't have expected more out of him, he stepped aside to let a relatively younger group carry on the music for him..  Now Brent on the other hand, he had so much more to add to the legacy of the Dead and himself, would have loved to have had him stick around for a bit longer, but I am thankful we got the '89 summer tour with him

41 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

Sadly it was time for Jerry to go.  He did what he did, couldn't have expected more out of him, he stepped aside to let a relatively younger group carry on the music for him..  Now Brent on the other hand, he had so much more to add to the legacy of the Dead and himself, would have loved to have had him stick around for a bit longer, but I am thankful we got the '89 summer tour with him

The 89 tour was just so freaking good. Jerry looked sober, especially in the summer shows in the east. Brent was also fantastic.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

The 89 tour was just so freaking good. Jerry looked sober, especially in the summer shows in the east. Brent was also fantastic.

June 1988 Saratoga was my last concert, I was getting too old to cross the border like this any more and it was getting close to being over, sadly....

I know it's no where close to what it used to be, but Dead & Company have been awesome these past few years, each tour they open up the catalog a bit more and they meld a lot more.  It's nice to have the music still out there on stage.

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

June 1988 Saratoga was my last concert, I was getting too old to cross the border like this any more and it was getting close to being over, sadly....

jamesdeandeath.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=963&h

https://www.therichest.com/world-entertainment/15-gruesome-details-about-the-death-of-james-dean/

James Dean was an incredibly unique individual, and his death is no different. A lifestyle that was fueled by the thrill of the ride ultimately lead to Dean's demise.

It's a bittersweet irony that James died doing what he loved most, though some would argue that there is no better way to go.

Having died at the young age of 24, Dean left behind a legacy that most people will never come close to achieving.

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

jamesdeandeath.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=963&h

https://www.therichest.com/world-entertainment/15-gruesome-details-about-the-death-of-james-dean/

James Dean was an incredibly unique individual, and his death is no different. A lifestyle that was fueled by the thrill of the ride ultimately lead to Dean's demise.

It's a bittersweet irony that James died doing what he loved most, though some would argue that there is no better way to go.

Having died at the young age of 24, Dean left behind a legacy that most people will never come close to achieving.

and to me fully apt that Morrissey picked up on it....

image.png.740ca9be7608e84c1df3f857a4e7bf46.png

image.png.af6289c2982cbf22f30f8bbecb3c68cb.png

Edited by row_33

On 5/7/2019 at 11:42 AM, Gugny said:

Not sure if "young," = "too young to die," but if so, I'll throw George Michael, Prince and Michael Jackson in there, as well.

George Michael died?

24 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Rough trip with the coyotes, ATF, etc?

33 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

I know it's no where close to what it used to be, but Dead & Company have been awesome these past few years, each tour they open up the catalog a bit more and they meld a lot more.  It's nice to have the music still out there on stage.

i think i've grown enough to be able to take in a show if it happens in the GTA

i can trust heads when they tell me it won't be a bummer.....

• Haha (+1) 1

@row_33 @Bill from NYC, et al, check out this article from GQ about the Weir Wolf

https://www.gq.com/story/bob-weir-grateful-dead-profile?fbclid=IwAR0cPqfKtyIYWvd3g1atutK1TOA_fO97rF84CFFml4YxE7lLewj9gYIepBE

7 hours ago, row_33 said:

i think i've grown enough to be able to take in a show if it happens in the GTA

i can trust heads when they tell me it won't be a bummer.....

11 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

10 hours ago, row_33 said:

Jerry wins for voice and guitar solos.

“There’s no way to measure his greatness or magnitude as a person or as a player. I don’t think any eulogizing will do him justice. He was that great, much more than a superb musician, with an uncanny ear and dexterity. He’s the very spirit personified of whatever is Muddy River country at its core and screams up into the spheres. He really had no equal. To me he wasn’t only a musician and friend, he was more like a big brother who taught and showed me more than he’ll ever know. There’s a lot of spaces and advances between The Carter Family, Buddy Holly and, say, Ornette Coleman—a lot of universes, but he filled them all without being a member of any school. His playing was moody, awesome, sophisticated, hypnotic and subtle. There’s no way to convey the loss. It just digs down really deep.”

Dylan on Garcia, the day he passed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, The Poojer said:

Now Brent on the other hand, he had so much more to add to the legacy of the Dead and himself, would have loved to have had him stick around for a bit longer, but I am thankful we got the '89 summer tour with him

I saw Brent's last show - Tinley Park, IL, 1990. Their encore was The Weight, and Brent sang lead on one verse.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/grateful-dead/1990/world-music-theatre-tinley-park-il-3d6014b.html

Edited by WhoTom
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I haven't read through this whole thread but I would love to see where Randy Rhoads took his talent.  He was just an incredible guitar player.

I mentioned him very early on.  He would have been even more special than he was when he passed.  Would have been awesome to see him and Eddie "grow up" together.  Randy added another dimension (classical).  Would have been interesting to see how that pushed EVH and others.  Randy was amazing.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I mentioned him very early on.  He would have been even more special than he was when he passed.  Would have been awesome to see him and Eddie "grow up" together.  Randy added another dimension (classical).  Would have been interesting to see how that pushed EVH and others.  Randy was amazing.

I still have my ticket stub from that show in Orlando... suddenly The Fixx was the opening act.

• Like (+1) 1

I think of Brian Jones ..He was the founding member of The Rolling Stones  and responsible  for bands early success. He through  it all alway eaten up by drugs and alcohol. Who knows what could have been  

Edited by millbank
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Prince was pushing 60 @ 57 years.  That ain't "young".  IMO "young" is under 39... Even that is pushing.  I say 20s.

57?  LMAO.

Hank Williams... Classic.  29.

57 is well short of the average life expectancy but to each their own

7 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Prince was pushing 60 @ 57 years.  That ain't "young".  IMO "young" is under 39... Even that is pushing.  I say 20s.

57?  LMAO.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

57 is well short of the average life expectancy but to each their own

Exactly what BuffaloBill said .... it's more of a "too young to die," categorization than it is trying to define, "young."  But you knew that, Exiled.

8 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

57?  LMAO.

Prince and Rick James, a lot in common.

Another eerie parallel is Vida Blue and Dwight Gooden, right down to the stats...

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 10:24 AM, The Poojer said:

I don't like them at this point. Imo Maher isn't like listening to the Dead. I think that Furthur was great with John Kadlecik. He still plays with Fellowship of the Wing with Jeff Chementi.

My only complaint with Furthur was that they were letting Lesh sing (he even was singing "Eyes of the World") and he was awful. The man couldn't sing live 40 years ago.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I don't like them at this point. Imo Maher isn't like listening to the Dead. I think that Furthur was great with John Kadlecik. He still plays with Fellowship of the Wing with Jeff Chementi.

My only complaint with Furthur was that they were letting Lesh sing (he even was singing "Eyes of the World") and he was awful. The man couldn't sing live 40 years ago.

i read Iron Maiden and Fuhrer in a quick glance there, and Havlicek...

You can't replace Jerry, but sounds like its good to hear the songs live again.  Take it for what it is worth, i see Saratoga next month......

Wait....what??  nobody was suggesting Jerry went too early, he didn't outlive Keef and the proverbial cockroach, but give him a break...  :D

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

Exactly what BuffaloBill said .... it's more of a "too young to die," categorization than it is trying to define, "young."  But you knew that, Exiled.

No.  57 is "old."

LoL..  Really.  Most will be dead in under 20 years.  That's old.  Past mid-life, how is that young or too young to die? I guess 80 is too young to die.

My God... Deal with aging and do it gracefully.  Accept what "old" means.

We are in for it with the "Me" (Boomers) generation and their "Echoes" (Millennials). /smh... 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

No.  57 is "old."

LoL..  Really.  Most will be dead in under 20 years.  That's old.  Past mid-life, how is that young or too young to die? I guess 80 is too young to die.

We are in for it with the "Me" (Boomers) generation and their "Echoes" (Millennials). /smh... 

You're being silly.

You know who thinks 57 is old?  Children.  Very young children.

Just because someone's lived over half of what they will end up living, that doesn't mean they're old.  It means they're not young.  But 57, in every rational adult's eyes, is too young to die.

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

You're being silly.

You know who thinks 57 is old?  Children.  Very young children.

Just because someone's lived over half of what they will end up living, that doesn't mean they're old.  It means they're not young.  But 57, in every rational adult's eyes, is too young to die.

Huh.  My Children are 21 and 17.  57 is ancient.  My 31 old nephew thinks 51 (my age is ancient)... I think my neighbor @ 71 is ancient!  She was 20 when I was born... 1968.  So much changed in the country and world in those 20 years.

Both my children born in the internet world.  I am ancient!  You're a few years younger... You're ancient.

57 is: OLD.

My Mother died @ 58.  Maybe before her time.  But not young. She was old.

That was 20 years ago.  (My Mother) was born in 1940 for Christ's sake.  Before WWII.

Or at BEFORE the US entered. My Father 1936.

I want to start a thread Entertainers That Didn't Die Young Enough.

Yeah I'm in that kind of a mood today.  

16 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

No.  57 is "old."

Old is a relative term.  The word is older.  I'm 58 and in the best shape of my life and don't consider myself old. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Old is a relative term.  The word is older.  I'm 58 and in the best shape of my life and don't consider myself old. 

Trust me, you are more fragile... Closer to the edge.  I am only 7 eye blink years behind you.

LMAO... Take care of yourself at a younger age and you would have been doing circles around your ancient 58 year OLD azz!

I don't jump off cliffs anymore with my son skiing... Because: I am freaking 51!!!! Yeah, lost a little weight, better "shape" now than in my late 40s... But not 30s & 20s. I would do circles around my life today @ 51 when I was 31... And I have had an easy life.

Clint was 43 when he made this:

I am more fragile.  One eff-up away from longer healing.

Sorry... This hurts people's feelings.  The title of this thread is: "Entertainers who died YOUNG."  57 ain't dying young.  LMAO. Maybe it's dying like they "feel" young... Crap, I will be 94 and still may feel young.  Ha! 

I will kick off Chef's thread:

Prince didn't die young 

29 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

my 40s and 50s have been ten times better than my 20s

maybe the dispute is about the word "entertainers" and i never found Prince to be entertaining

5 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Young ENOUGH.  Meaning "shut up and just ***** die already!!"

Are former entertainers-turned-politicians eligible for this?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Young ENOUGH.  Meaning "shut up and just ***** die already!!"

I am trying.

I say to my family all the time when I am in their way: "I will get out of your hair."

My wife replies back: "And... My hair thanks you!"

Just now, Gugny said:

Are former entertainers-turned-politicians eligible for this?

Yes. LoL...