“Tailgate Village”: New tailgating policy at New Era for bus/limo lot

32 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Cool, spoken like a true moron with an axe to grind.  If you were a moron in the bus lot then yes I guess I meant you.  if you were just a person riding a bus, well then I guess I wasn't referring to you was I though with your response I somewhat doubt it.

When people REPEATEDLY act they way they have acted for a period of years this is the inevitable outcome.  I'm an out of towner too.  I pay plenty extra to attend a game and it's a heluva lot more than the shared cost of a bus ride.  I was a season ticket holder up until 1994 and the attitude towards extreme drunkenness was lax even then.  I brought some friends to a pre-season game as a 17 year old kid and one of my buddies got could not stand up drunk at a tailgate party.  He was 17 years old and obviously 17 years old.  We got into the stadium with him, walked past a phalanx of cops and stadium personnel and nobody did squat.  The guys sitting around me in the stadium were ALL season ticket holders and they would each sneak about a 12 pack of beer into the stadium inside their coats every single game. Sneak is a strong term because nobody cared.  My father tells stories of when the stadium opened people buying a seat for the keg and carrying it in.

Speaking of no perspective.  Go to a game somewhere else and see how tailgating is treated there.  Buffalo is essentially the Wild West in the parking lots.  Now the bus folks have to bring their own food and bev to a special area.  Well guess what, that pretty much eliminates putting some kegs and a full bar on the bus doesn't it.  Be prepared to show some ID for that beer you're carrying in as well.

In my original post I stated I go to other stadiums and it’s seems the same to me. 

The only stadium/arenas I ever had a problem in was at Baltimore Ravens and Washington Caps games. 

Ravens have a city stadium, so you can only tailgate like we do in a limited space. Most people have to go to bars in the city (which most think is ideal) funny thing is that’s the only stadium I ever had someone full on try to fight me. He was like 50 and in the end the Ravens fans around me ended it quickly but funny enough all those years in Buffalo, nothing. One game in Baltimore... 

Now what other stadium experiences do you have to share? Please regale us with stories of perfectly civil fan experiences! 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

Was extreme behavior any better last year?  It seemed there wasn’t as many YouTube videos circulating of crazy behavior.  You couldn’t avoid them in prior years if you tried 

I never see crazy stuff in the lots..but i park at either Hammers or ECC( been at least 5 years since parked there)...but just dont see it. What has declined significantly is arrests and evictions from the stadium...and that has seen a dramatic decrease once they made the booze easier to get..counterintuitive yes, but the numbers support it

1 hour ago, Rockpile233 said:

I’d be interested to see what is included with that fee. I’m sure it’s a bad deal.

Think you will be able to bring your own stuff, this way the lot will not look like trash dump and it will be a bit easier to see if someone is overserved

55 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

I waited a long time to get to this thread on page 2. This is exactly it. The people I see acting terribly and giving the tailgate experience a bad public view are all pretty young and not of the "winning" generation between 1988-2000. It's solely an event to get blasted and who gives a crap about the actual game. 

***Please note: I've met PLENTY of great, younger fans, at Hammer's Lot and elsewhere around the stadium in the past five years and of course there's always a few duds that ruin things for the rest of us. @LeviF91 you fit into the good group along with all of @plenzmd1 's myriad kids, adopted strangers, and vagabonds. @mead107 definitely needs to clean up his act, however.........?.***

Hmmmm. We should start a "Royal Rumble" thread about the 30 filthiest brawlers on TBD and who would win in the end........

So, what is my generation who went losing forever...brief period of winning...now losing again!!! LOL..and it is true i end up with a strange collection of people at most tailgates!!!

I am with all who just do not understand the issue with table slamming...now drinking funnels to falling over etc, but shots in public..i get those not a good reflection on the Bills and the community. But busting through a plastic table??? What's the issue?

2 hours ago, scribo said:

Generally speaking, the worst of the worst seems to be those who come to games on buses. My seats in the stadium are up near the top, where many of the groups are able to buy blocks of tickets. They're the drunken idiots who clearly are not there to see the game. I fully understand that's what comes with the least expensive seats, and there are many great fans who come in on the buses. But I am OK with this move.

This.

No offense to our hoser cousins in the North, but the WORST of the WORST seem to be the Canadians who bus it down. They spend the entire ride pounding beers and are fall-down drunk by the time they get to the lot at 10am. They feel since they are out of their hometown and home country they have a pass to act like complete jackasses and smash and break *****. And then they know they are going to have a designated driver and a 2 hour ride home to sleep it off so they can keep drinking past blackout levels.

This is beyond the table-jumping and other hijinx that go down in private lots. The bus people need policing.

• Like (+1) 1

You think Barstool did an entire feature on the Buffalo tailgating experience its because they thought they are so cool?

No, the Boston hack outlet did it to EMBARRASS this fan base.

Most are fine at the tailgates, but there are too many knuckleheads that are out of control, and can ruin it for more people then you think.

Have several beers over a few hours, feel a nice buzz, have great food, good laughs and get pumped for a football game? THAT is fun. Some of the other antics to me are childish, and in some cases, dangerous.

Those actions are leading to this. Take a bow.

@Like A Mofo

what is confusing about what i said? 

The Pre game tailgating has been a central point to Bills games for 40+ years

fathers have given their sons the love for the Bills and passed down generations of traditions tailgating 

And Ed Oliver specifically mentioned table smashing and Bills mafia as to why he is excited to play here... our fans are passionate 

it has nothing to do with boozing unless you make it that.. it has to do with PASSION for the Bills

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

About time, we used just go to the game, forget all the other tailgating.

Agreed 100%.

I started going to games with my dad in the early 80s. Most of my memories are from the glory years, 88-98. Through that time there was always some tailgating, but it was much smaller and only secondary to the games. ALL of my memories are from amazing things that happened on the field and during the games. We didnt even start tailgating ourselves until about 2001.

It was a rapid change around 2000-2002, especially after the Rob Johnson debacle. And over the years, with the Bills being unable to pull themselves from the hole of mediocrity, it has shifted to the games being secondary to the tailgates. That is why you get thousands of college kids, and adults who think they are college kids, acting like theyre having their "first beer" on Sundays.

If the Bills could manage to field a competitive, winning team, the games could go back to being about football with true football fans attending, instead of a frat party that gets interrupted by a crappy game.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

In my original post I stated I go to other stadiums and it’s seems the same to me. 

The only stadium/arenas I ever had a problem in was at Baltimore Ravens and Washington Caps games. 

Ravens have a city stadium, so you can only tailgate like we do in a limited space. Most people have to go to bars in the city (which most think is ideal) funny thing is that’s the only stadium I ever had someone full on try to fight me. He was like 50 and in the end the Ravens fans around me ended it quickly but funny enough all those years in Buffalo, nothing. One game in Baltimore... 

Now what other stadium experiences do you have to share? Please regale us with stories of perfectly civil fan experiences! 

Let's see....

Pittsburgh for football, baseball, and hockey (Three Riversx2, PNC, and the Igloo)

Philadelphia for football, baseball and hockey (The Vetx2, The Linc, Citizens Bank, The Spectrum and Wells Fargo Ctr)

Penn State football and hockey

Toronto baseball

Detroit baseball

Los Angeles baseball

Anaheim baseball

Atlanta baseball, football, basketball (Fulton Cty Stadium, GA dome, Omni)

GA Tech football and basketball

Georgia Football

Washington baseball

Phoenix basketball

San Francisco baseball (Candlestick and AT&T)

Baltimore baseball

Tampa hockey

Is that a long enough list?  Never saw stuff that I've seen at Bills games. Never.  Have there been drunken a-holes.  Yup.  Have there been some fights?  Yup.  Nothing approaching the frequency and intensity of stuff I've seen both inside and outside New Era Field.  Maybe that's because I've been there the most of any of those other places and I happened to catch them all on a good day but for all the crap Philly takes I've seen way worse behavior in Buffalo and I've been to a bunch of Philly events over the years.

• Like (+1) 1

At a Phillies game, I saw an old man get shoved into a toilet by 3 20'-somethings for wearing a Dodgers jacket

They also have a fetish with serving Nitrous balloons at all Philly events

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Agreed 100%.

I started going to games with my dad in the early 80s. Most of my memories are from the glory years, 88-98. Through that time there was always some tailgating, but it was much smaller and only secondary to the games. ALL of my memories are from amazing things that happened on the field and during the games. We didnt even start tailgating ourselves until about 2001.

It was a rapid change around 2000-2002, especially after the Rob Johnson debacle. And over the years, with the Bills being unable to pull themselves from the hole of mediocrity, it has shifted to the games being secondary to the tailgates. That is why you get thousands of college kids, and adults who think they are college kids, acting like theyre having their "first beer" on Sundays.

If the Bills could manage to field a competitive, winning team, the games could go back to being about football with true football fans attending, instead of a frat party that gets interrupted by a crappy game.

I'm not sure where you were in the glory years but i was there and saw just as many smashed drunk people as i see now. The difference is now its all over social media and such. If you don't want to tailgate and just go to the game that's fine but I'm not buying the whole its so much worse now argument. People are gonna be stupid, and that's fine, I'm sure i was once too. Maybe as we get older we don't have the patience for it now.

The "Tailgate Village" is the beginning of the end of the Buffalo Bills as we know it. The hardcore tailgating was part of our identity; now everyone will now be contained in some lame beer garden. I'm proud of the guys that set things on fire and bodyslam each other; it's part of being a Bills fan. Who hasn't jumped off a tailgate of a truck and smashing a table? Our team has been an absolute joke over the last 20 years, and our fans are the only thing worth talking about most years.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Sad 1

Just a cash grab that will provide data for making a long term decision about the future stadium.

It will be interesting to see how this affects attendance. I’ve been to other NFL tailgates and to Ann Arbour for a few, nothing compares to Buffalo. I think a lot of bus trips will be canceled due to this policy shift.

9 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Let's see....

Pittsburgh for football, baseball, and hockey (Three Riversx2, PNC, and the Igloo)

Philadelphia for football, baseball and hockey (The Vetx2, The Linc, Citizens Bank, The Spectrum and Wells Fargo Ctr)

Penn State football and hockey

Toronto baseball

Detroit baseball

Los Angeles baseball

Anaheim baseball

Atlanta baseball, football, basketball (Fulton Cty Stadium, GA dome, Omni)

GA Tech football and basketball

Georgia Football

Washington baseball

Phoenix basketball

San Francisco baseball (Candlestick and AT&T)

Baltimore baseball

Tampa hockey

Is that a long enough list?  Never saw stuff that I've seen at Bills games. Never.  Have there been drunken a-holes.  Yup.  Have there been some fights?  Yup.  Nothing approaching the frequency and intensity of stuff I've seen both inside and outside New Era Field.  Maybe that's because I've been there the most of any of those other places and I happened to catch them all on a good day but for all the crap Philly takes I've seen way worse behavior in Buffalo and I've been to a bunch of Philly events over the years.

Then you must be going to games on full moons, my experiences have never been anything other than standard stadium fare. 

Ill accept hockey stadiums, baseball doesn’t count. It’s just not the same crowd.  

You ever hear the old adage, you go lookin’ for trouble you might just find it? I feel like that’s what I’m dealing with here. That and a little bit of Buffalo self loathing sprinkled in.

Edited by Bobby Hooks

7 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

The "Tailgate Village" is the beginning of the end of the Buffalo Bills as we know it. The hardcore tailgating was part of our identity; now everyone will now be contained in some lame beer garden. I'm proud of the guys that set things on fire and bodyslam each other; it's part of being a Bills fan. Who hasn't jumped off a tailgate of a truck and smashing a table? Our team has been an absolute joke over the last 20 years, and our fans are the only thing worth talking about most years.  

Agreed!

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Other than the part about the team not being good over the last 20 years, everything else about this is wrong.  I'm hoping it's sarcasm.

• Thank you (+1) 2

I just looked it up on Lame Tailgate Guys website

The $300 or $600 doesnt even get you food or drink.  You can add-on packages later

It does get you some pop-up tents, 10 tailgate chairs, 2 tables with linens, and a sign.

Not a cash grab at all.  

15 minutes ago, Wsam4031 said:

I'm not sure where you were in the glory years but i was there and saw just as many smashed drunk people as i see now. The difference is now its all over social media and such. If you don't want to tailgate and just go to the game that's fine but I'm not buying the whole its so much worse now argument. People are gonna be stupid, and that's fine, I'm sure i was once too. Maybe as we get older we don't have the patience for it now.

Nah, there were plenty of drunks, but it was not nearly as much as it is now.

Back then, there were more people there for the game than to party. Now, more people are there to party than closely follow the game.

There were/are both types during both eras, but the majorities have changed.

15 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Our team has been an absolute joke over the last 20 years, and our fans are the only thing worth talking about most years.  

And this is why I've been saying "If the Bills organization wants to curb the craziness at tailgates, they simply need to field a winning team".

Edited by DrDawkinstein

21 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

LOL   

You can have fun and not be ab A hole you know   

Hard Core fans can enjoy like (maybe sneak in a doobie or two)  

9 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I just looked it up on Lame Tailgate Guys website

The $300 or $600 doesnt even get you food or drink.  You can add-on packages later

It does get you some pop-up tents, 10 tailgate chairs, 2 tables with linens, and a sign.

Not a cash grab at all.  

Thats cool so all you need to bring is food if you want ...   if you have a small cooking surface  I assume small Gas stoves would be OK.  Or buy from a concession 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan