Cody Ford - Some Observations From the Orange Bowl.....

If someone told me a couple of weeks ago we were getting Oliver and Ford without giving up a player and/or something in 2020, I would not have believed it.

Very happy with round 1 and 2.  We did get lucky.   Our draft could have looked way different. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

When we drafted Cody Ford I was elated. This team needed more blocking despite the UFA signings. Being a skeptic, I still had some fears because of the possible "Mike Williams Syndrome." I was afraid that he might be a big monster in a defensively weak conference. So, I watched my recording of the Orange Bowl (Oklahoma vs, Alabama) and focused on Ford for the entire game.

Let me tell you, those fears have been extinguished.

Ford played primarily against Anfernee Jennings, a pass rushing "tweener."  If he stays healthy he will be a first round pick in  2020. He also lined up a lot against 6'7"/317 Raekwon Davis, another star player. Jennings did have 1 sack. Ford had him blocked and when Murray took off and ran, Jennings took him down from behind with 1 hand. This was NOT on Ford, who had Jennings under control for most of the game. Jennings also blocked a pass, but this will happen to Murray because of his height. Again, no big deal.

He went up against 2 subs, Labryan Ray and Johnny Dwight, both very good players. He completely neutralized Ray, and pancaked Dwight (listed at 301 pounds)!!!  He did give up a sack to Davis late in the game but he was doing a great job containing him on almost every play. Ford is a badass, who plays to the whistle.

Please keep in mind that Bama was up 28-7 at the half. They knew damn well that Murray was going to throw which gave them an obvious edge. They didn't blitz that often because of how well Murray runs but still, Ford not only held up, he was (imo) just short of dominant playing at a disadvantage (the score), and against great competition.

In summary, I am happier about this OL draft pick than I have been about any since they took Reuben Brown! This guy is as strong as an ox and fearless. He would have been totally worth a 1st round pick from what I saw. He is going to protect our QB and open holes for our RBs.  I'm loving it!!!!!

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the knocks against him at the combine was his rather unremarkable 19 bench press reps.  That doesn't suggest strong as an ox.  He's definitely big, maybe too big.  

He'll have to keep his weight in check at the next level.

I'm sure they will keep an eye on him in that regard.  

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The value in terms of premium positions in that early 2nd round was actually at corner where we have our guy. I liked Jaylon Ferguson a lot as a young pass rusher but I didn't like what was available at left tackle and you know my view on this receiver class. 

Yeah I would have taken Metcalf there or traded back and let one of the other ingenious organizations like the Bengals take the bait and trade up for a guard with RT flexibility.:flirt:

IMO Beane allowed the board to play him.

After Metcalf I am trading up to try to get Oliver or Sternberger.

As it turns out Sternberger was there so I would have wasted a 4th and or a 5th if I couldn't get Oliver but I would have gotten the TE I wanted there to help Allen.

I liked Singletary but he is a guy I can get in any draft.........in a good RB draft he easily slips to the 5th or 6th because of the measurable deficiencies.

Knox was the back end of the "TE with intriguing potential" class.   So like a Shawn Nelson part 2.

That's why I'm not fond of the "we had 10 guys in that tier and he was the last one so we traded up to get him" line of thought.   It just doesn't sit well with me.    How do you not have any different value between 10 different players?    I think that old-school line of thought will be something we laugh about 10 years from now the way we laugh at video of the old drafts where "Doctor Z" Paul Zimmerman was considered a draft expert.  "I don't see where the coaching is there in Miami to work with a Dan Marino":lol:   

I am certain that Beane probably had Ford in the top 15 players in the draft because they didn't weigh in positional value...........that's the Gettleman-fluence in him.:thumbsup:

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah I would have taken Metcalf there or traded back and let one of the other ingenious organizations like the Bengals take the bait and trade up for a guard with RT flexibility.:flirt:

As it turns out Sternberger was there so I would have wasted a 4th and or a 5th if I couldn't get Oliver but I would have gotten the TE I wanted there to help Allen.

I liked Singletary but he is a guy I can get in any draft.........in a good RB draft he easily slips to the 5th or 6th because of the measurable deficiencies.

Knox was the back end of the "TE with intriguing potential" class.   So like a Shawn Nelson part 2.

That's why I'm not fond of the "we had 10 guys in that tier and he was the last one so we traded up to get him" line of thought.   It just doesn't sit well with me.    How do you not have any different value between 10 different players?    I think that old-school line of thought will be something we laugh about 10 years from now the way we laugh at video of the old drafts where "Doctor Z" Paul Zimmerman was considered a draft expert.  "I don't see where the coaching is there in Miami to work with a Dan Marino":lol:   

I am certain that Beane probably had Ford in the top 15 players in the draft because they didn't weigh in positional value...........that's the Gettleman-fluence in him.:thumbsup:

Although to Beane’s credit - and noticeably unlike Gettleman - Beane actually seems to look ahead to the next year’s class when planning for the draft, or at least he claims to...

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Although to Beane’s credit - and noticeably unlike Gettleman - Beane actually seems to look ahead to the next year’s class when planning for the draft, or at least he claims to...

Yeah Beane is different in the respect that he isn't a career road scout, he's a first time GM with no success yet and probably more likely to listen to those around him.

But there are definite trends in their personnel philosophy.

Gettleman learned the scouting game here in Buffalo under Polian during the SB era with a group of old school road scouts and he bears a lot in common with Polian and our other Polian/Butler scouts that ascended to bigger jobs like Buddy Nix and AJ Smith.

He's similarly unapologetic and "old school" like those guys and he has his Giants pro personnel years and Cam Newton success in Carolina to back him up.

Of course the Bills don't play in the 2015-2016 AFC South.    The Patriots stand in the way here.   The margin for error is not the same.   

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Hopefully they make it an open competition and don't weigh Nsekhe being in his year 34 season against him.    If Dawkins continues on at LT in 2019 and doesn't improve much there will be no moving him in 2020 going into a contract year and IMO a divorce will be imminent.

Other than Nsekhe there is nothing on deck at LT and Dawkins could be an awesome guard.  Clearly more athletic than Ford and similar power.  

DD next to Ford is a potentially high quality run blocking duo.     Dawkins-Morse-Spain could be a top of league level pass blocking group as well.

Need Nsekhe to turn into a modern day Ray Brown and start at tackle into his 40's. :thumbsup:

Hopefully he can...plus, DD is on record saying he’s fine playing Tackle, Guard, whatever they want him to. I agree that DD at RG between Morse and Ford could be pretty potent, at least with regard to running the ball...on the other hand, a line of DD-Spain-Morse-Ford-Nsekhe could pretty great all across...

1 minute ago, Rubes said:

Hopefully he can...plus, DD is on record saying he’s fine playing Tackle, Guard, whatever they want him to. I agree that DD at RG between Morse and Ford could be pretty potent, at least with regard to running the ball...on the other hand, a line of DD-Spain-Morse-Ford-Nsekhe could pretty great all across...

I would hope Nsekhe could be a much better pass blocker than Dawkins.........who is not good for a LT.

On the right side at 6'8" I'd be concerned with leverage in the run game.

It's all projection though..........he hasn't started many games.

Oliver and Ford are two great picks... I’ve got a feeling that these two are going to be contributors for years to come..

Now I have had a day or two to digest the rest of the draft, I am considering the the rest as gravy.. not totally sold on picks 3 and 4...and has been mentioned they seem the kinds of prospects that you can find in any year in Round 4 or later..

I like Joseph as a prospect and wouldn’t be surprised if he turns into the third best player of the 2019 draft..

4 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

He looked so good against the Tide that I almost don't care if they put him at guard. If that is where he will be at his best I'm all for it. This kid really seems like a very tough guy and he didn't seem to get tired. He even pulled on a couple of plays.

Yeah i saw a handful of his pulls.   Seems very quick and picked the right target.   He'll be a solid addition for sure.

• Like (+1) 1

Interestingly, Ford didn't put up a great number in the bench press at the combine.  I'm glad he played strong on the field.  I imagine the strength and conditioning coaches will work to get him even stronger.  I think his greatest strength is probably that he's been well coached and is technically proficient.  It's interesting that some observers have called him a mauler in run blocking, and others has specifically pointed out that he's not.  It appears he doesn't have a real weakness though, as he's effective both in pass and run blocking.

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Agree on Oliver and Sternberger vs Singletary. I just disagree on Metcalf. He isn't that good. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Other than Nsekhe there is nothing on deck at LT and Dawkins could be an awesome guard.  Clearly more athletic than Ford and similar power.  

Based only on this 1 game, Ford appeared to be more powerful than Dawkins, and less agile.

I didn't understand the bench numbers at the combine. Mike Williams more than doubled his reps as I recall but this kid looked unusually strong on the field.

16 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Based only on this 1 game, Ford appeared to be more powerful than Dawkins, and less agile.

I didn't understand the bench numbers at the combine. Mike Williams more than doubled his reps as I recall but this kid looked unusually strong on the field.

I agree he looks strong on the field.

• Like (+1) 1

i'm sure (and glad) that he'll be a very good rt for years to come. i do wonder how the starting 5 will shakeout though. i can't see how they pay nsecke that kind of money and not play him.  i not against moving dawkins inside, just wonder if he'd be willing. however things look great compared to last year.

nsecke / dawkins/ morse/ long / ford?

Edited by billsredneck1

15 hours ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

Long arms equals fewer bench reps. Physics. I know from personal experience. Short guys I know can bench more and do many more pushups than me, but they are not necessarily stronger. I am literally pushing weight much further (more work by definition).

I'll second this though I'm sure others will still comment on the 19 reps without reading these first.  I'm 6 ft tall but my legs are very long and my center of gravity is a few inches or more higher than most guys.  I seem much stronger on upper-body stuff like benching and back work but squats for me are very difficult.  The higher center of gravity throws off the normal motion of the squat and I can barely get to parallel or deeper. 

But then my upper body and arms are a tad shorter (though not noticeable until you look closely).  I've always had a strong bench because, exactly as BUFFALOKIE said, physics.  The weight doesn't have to travel as far so the work being required is lower.  The shorter muscle lengths add to that I'm sure.  Doesn't mean I'm much stronger than someone else per say.  Likewise, shorter guys or even my height with shorter legs can push a lot more than me squatting and leg pressing.  Then we switch to back work and I wear them out. 

I think that's probably the case with Ford. And anyway, 19 reps isn't that bad really.  Not the best but certainly not the worst.  And I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of his punches and blocks.  He clearly has good power in that 340 pound frame.  It's only going to get better with NFL training and an NFL paycheck to pay for his grocery bill as he continues to grow.  Really great pick!  What a good guy too.  Totally not an asshat regardless of all the hype around him during the draft.  That's a Buffalo kind of guy.

16 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

I'm happy with the pick over a skill player as I wasn't quite certain they had enough talent on that line for this season. Now it looks like that entire line is revamped save LT which wasn't so bad with a decent player at LG. Dawkins, Spain, Morse, Long, Ford should be the starting five and a huge improvement over last years starters.

The run blocking should be fun to watch this season and now Allen should have more time to complete those deep passes he loves to throw. Should be a very much improved offense. 

Imagine if someone had predicted this with our O-Line before free agency. Total overhall of last years shitt-y unit. I mean seriously, Kudos to Beane, he went out and got it done. Time will tell if it all gels, but damn if we don't have something to look forward to!

4 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Yeah the athleticism is the concern at RT.    I am dubbing him Holdy Ford because I think they will put him at RT right away and there will be a whole lotta' grabbin' for dear life.......he had a scouting rep in college for being grabby.......but hopefully I am wrong.

I didn't think Dawkins would be a functional LT when drafted........didn't even consider the possibility.....and he was adequate as a rookie.   Despite slacking off last year  I think he can be a middle of league quality LT.    The problem there is that they might not like his open market price tag when that time comes.    Maybe I am just shell shocked from decades of this team not being able to retain their early draft picks.......even ones who earned it with excellent play.......due often to cost/value equations like the one I can see coming with Dawkins.   

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1