Cody Ford - Some Observations From the Orange Bowl.....

39 minutes ago, TOboy said:

I really like the pick and how they’ve gone about completely revamping the line this offseason.

The one thing I wonder about is his strength. He seems like a bull on the field, but put up a less than inspiring 19 reps at the combine. Probably nothing to worry about, because he really does seem able to move people in the run game (and he’s huge). Just surprised by his uninspiring performance on the bench.

Long arms equals fewer bench reps. Physics. I know from personal experience. Short guys I know can bench more and do many more pushups than me, but they are not necessarily stronger. I am literally pushing weight much further (more work by definition).

Edited by BUFFALOKIE
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Obviously my board isnt the Bills board but most of their picks were near the top of my BPA list when they picked them.

Oliver was my #1 BPA

Ford was my #4 BPA

Knox was my #11 BPA

Joseph was my #4 BPA

J. Johnson was my #6 BPA

The two 7th rounders were not on my board and I had Singletary a bit lower down but otherwise they were pretty close on where I had guys and where they took them.

Thats impressive, you have been doing good evals on here for a while.

Getting a DT at 9 and good OT in the second round was the best case scenario. Hopefully we get to watch Allen play QB without running for his life every play this year. 

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

So the reason I had him as a 1st/2nd borderline rather than a pure 1st round grade was precisely that Badol - and Beane himself referred to it today - can he hold up against the best pure speed rushers? His feet are a little slow and because he isn't the longest at 6ft3 if they get the corner on him he might struggle to recover. I had him as my top interior offensive lineman but with tackle flex. I think they are doing the right thing starting him off at tackle and I am 60/40 on the chance of him succeeding there but if he doesn't I am convinced he will have a long NFL career as a guard. 

I think he is going to succeed at RT.....but we will (like Dawkins) here every year about what a great OG he would make......

26 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

How good do you think Ford will be at RT?

I'm envisioning the duo of he and Dawkins tryna pass block the oppositions best rushers on the road on 3rd downs.     Could have the best sextet of guards in the league though!    Just gotta' stay on schedule with those downs and distances Dabol.

He looked so good against the Tide that I almost don't care if they put him at guard. If that is where he will be at his best I'm all for it. This kid really seems like a very tough guy and he didn't seem to get tired. He even pulled on a couple of plays.

14 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I think he is going to succeed at RT.....but we will (like Dawkins) here every year about what a great OG he would make......

If I had to guess I'd say he will too but I do see where the concern as a tackle stems from. But I have zero doubt his floor is long term starting guard. 

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I love the fact that he felt a connection with our OL coach. A lot of us were skeptical of the hire, but after seeing the adds in free agency and Ford's comments, it is clear that Bobby Johnson is well respected around the league. I'm excited. 

And make sure you change it to Cody before everyone kills you on here. ?

Thats for sure. accuracy police is second to none on here.. 

14 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

He looked so good against the Tide that I almost don't care if they put him at guard. If that is where he will be at his best I'm all for it. This kid really seems like a very tough guy and he didn't seem to get tired. He even pulled on a couple of plays.

It seemed very likely even before the draft that G and tackles that aren't left side adaptable would look attractive early in round 2...........they would be bypassed because the positions aren't as valued..........there was discussion about it then........and as I said then guards and RT's aren't really good fits for this team early in round 2.

That early you better have your future QB/pass rusher/LT/CB1/WR1 positions on lock if you are going that route.

IMO they don't have their young edge rusher, LT or WR1.........and those are guys you can't get in free agency.  

What they now have are 7 guys best suited to guard........and a center who is a pretty good guard.........in their top 9 OL.:lol:

I hope I am wrong and Ford transcends the one-contract-and-done nature of road graders............but even so, when contract push comes to shove they will probably want to save that money on one of the island positions.   I personally would have liked to see Spain and Dawkins at the guards.   Could still happen but I'm guessing Nsekhe is the odd man out and the Bills OT's will both be stud guard prospects with pass blocking issues.

I am guessing Dion Dawkins celebrated the Bills not drafting a LT prospect by consuming a few hundred twinkies and a 48 hour Fortnite marathon. 

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I am guessing Dion Dawkins celebrated the Bills not drafting a LT prospect by consuming a few hundred twinkies and a 48 hour Fortnite marathon. 

I'm not so sure...if Ford is really slated at RT and holds his own, then Dawkins may be looking at a battle with Nsekhe for the LT position.

I watched that game and was amazed. I had to re-watch. The kid is an absolute beast. I think there was only one time he got beat with an inside speed move, on the play they ruled a sack, but Murray wasn't down. He held up quite strong against stout competition. 

16 minutes ago, R Y G A R said:

I watched that game and was amazed. I had to re-watch. The kid is an absolute beast. I think there was only one time he got beat with an inside speed move, on the play they ruled a sack, but Murray wasn't down. He held up quite strong against stout competition. 

Yeah, that was Raekwon Davis and it was late in the game. It was debatable whether or not Murray's knee hit but Ford did get fooled and beat on the play. On the sack by Jennings he didn't get beat, He broke away from the blocked and took down Murray with one hand. It wasn't Ford's fault.

9 minutes ago, Rubes said:

I'm not so sure...if Ford is really slated at RT and holds his own, then Dawkins may be looking at a battle with Nsekhe for the LT position.

Hopefully they make it an open competition and don't weigh Nsekhe being in his year 34 season against him.    If Dawkins continues on at LT in 2019 and doesn't improve much there will be no moving him in 2020 going into a contract year and IMO a divorce will be imminent.

Other than Nsekhe there is nothing on deck at LT and Dawkins could be an awesome guard.  Clearly more athletic than Ford and similar power.  

DD next to Ford is a potentially high quality run blocking duo.     Dawkins-Morse-Spain could be a top of league level pass blocking group as well.

Need Nsekhe to turn into a modern day Ray Brown and start at tackle into his 40's. :thumbsup:

31 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It seemed very likely even before the draft that G and tackles that aren't left side adaptable would look attractive early in round 2...........they would be bypassed because the positions aren't as valued..........there was discussion about it then........and as I said then guards and RT's aren't really good fits for this team early in round 2.

That early you better have your future QB/pass rusher/LT/CB1/WR1 positions on lock if you are going that route.

IMO they don't have their young edge rusher, LT or WR1.........and those are guys you can't get in free agency.  

What they now have are 7 guys best suited to guard........and a center who is a pretty good guard.........in their top 9 OL.:lol:

I hope I am wrong and Ford transcends the one-contract-and-done nature of road graders............but even so, when contract push comes to shove they will probably want to save that money on one of the island positions.   I personally would have liked to see Spain and Dawkins at the guards.   Could still happen but I'm guessing Nsekhe is the odd man out and the Bills OT's will both be stud guard prospects with pass blocking issues.

Do you think it is possible that guards will become more important as more pass rush comes from DTs up the middle?

36 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The value in terms of premium positions in that early 2nd round was actually at corner where we have our guy. I liked Jaylon Ferguson a lot as a young pass rusher but I didn't like what was available at left tackle and you know my view on this receiver class. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Bill from NYC said:

Do you think it is possible that guards will become more important as more pass rush comes from DTs up the middle?

Could be I guess..........but there was an unprecedented influx of 3 down stud DT's around the time that Dareus entered the league and ultimately it didn't change things that much because you can help guards.   RT's you can keep a TE or a back in.    LT really is the island position on the OL where you need an early round athlete.    

I thought the Bills did a really good job taking advantage of the market inefficiency on interior OL and RB in UFA...................then they used their 2nd and 3rd round picks on those positions and negated some of that. ?