Cody Ford - Some Observations From the Orange Bowl.....

When we drafted Cody Ford I was elated. This team needed more blocking despite the UFA signings. Being a skeptic, I still had some fears because of the possible "Mike Williams Syndrome." I was afraid that he might be a big monster in a defensively weak conference. So, I watched my recording of the Orange Bowl (Oklahoma vs, Alabama) and focused on Ford for the entire game.

Let me tell you, those fears have been extinguished.

Ford played primarily against Anfernee Jennings, a pass rushing "tweener."  If he stays healthy he will be a first round pick in  2020. He also lined up a lot against 6'7"/317 Raekwon Davis, another star player. Jennings did have 1 sack. Ford had him blocked and when Murray took off and ran, Jennings took him down from behind with 1 hand. This was NOT on Ford, who had Jennings under control for most of the game. Jennings also blocked a pass, but this will happen to Murray because of his height. Again, no big deal.

He went up against 2 subs, Labryan Ray and Johnny Dwight, both very good players. He completely neutralized Ray, and pancaked Dwight (listed at 301 pounds)!!!  He did give up a sack to Davis late in the game but he was doing a great job containing him on almost every play. Ford is a badass, who plays to the whistle.

Please keep in mind that Bama was up 28-7 at the half. They knew damn well that Murray was going to throw which gave them an obvious edge. They didn't blitz that often because of how well Murray runs but still, Ford not only held up, he was (imo) just short of dominant playing at a disadvantage (the score), and against great competition.

In summary, I am happier about this OL draft pick than I have been about any since they took Reuben Brown! This guy is as strong as an ox and fearless. He would have been totally worth a 1st round pick from what I saw. He is going to protect our QB and open holes for our RBs.  I'm loving it!!!!!

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 31
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 11

I love the fact that he felt a connection with our OL coach. A lot of us were skeptical of the hire, but after seeing the adds in free agency and Ford's comments, it is clear that Bobby Johnson is well respected around the league. I'm excited. 

And make sure you change it to Cody before everyone kills you on here. ?

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

Cody Ford was the guy I really wanted in this draft if we drafted down into the mid first round.......

Loved this draft.....we got two IMMEDIATE starters on a much improved team talent wise....I need to do more film on the other guys but this is what happens....when your team is ready to compete before the draft you start having (in your mind) less starting spots to slot players into immediately.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, John from Riverside said:

Cody Ford was the guy I really wanted in this draft if we drafted down into the mid first round.......

Loved this draft.....we got two IMMEDIATE starters on a much improved team talent wise....I need to do more film on the other guys but this is what happens....when your team is ready to compete before the draft you start having (in your mind) less starting spots to slot players into immediately.

We were able to stick to BPA which was nice for a change.

34 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

When we drafted Cody Ford I was elated. This team needed more blocking despite the UFA signings. Being a skeptic, I still had some fears because of the possible "Mike Williams Syndrome." I was afraid that he might be a big monster in a defensively weak conference. So, I watched my recording of the Orange Bowl (Oklahoma vs, Alabama) and focused on Ford for the entire game.

Let me tell you, those fears have been extinguished.

Ford played primarily against Anfernee Jennings, a pass rushing "tweener."  If he stays healthy he will be a first round pick in  2020. He also lined up a lot against 6'7"/317 Raekwon Davis, another star player. Jennings did have 1 sack. Ford had him blocked and when Murray took off and ran, Jennings took him down from behind with 1 hand. This was NOT on Ford, who had Jennings under control for most of the game. Jennings also blocked a pass, but this will happen to Murray because of his height. Again, no big deal.

He went up against 2 subs, Labryan Ray and Johnny Dwight, both very good players. He completely neutralized Ray, and pancaked Dwight (listed at 301 pounds)!!!  He did give up a sack to Davis late in the game but he was doing a great job containing him on almost every play. Ford is a badass, who plays to the whistle.

Please keep in mind that Bama was up 28-7 at the half. They knew damn well that Murray was going to throw which gave them an obvious edge. They didn't blitz that often because of how well Murray runs but still, Ford not only held up, he was (imo) just short of dominant playing at a disadvantage (the score), and against great competition.

In summary, I am happier about this OL draft pick than I have been about any since they took Reuben Brown! This guy is as strong as an ox and fearless. He would have been totally worth a 1st round pick from what I saw. He is going to protect our QB and open holes for our RBs.  I'm loving it!!!!!

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I knew you'd be pleased. Personally I am glad that the team spent their first two picks on the trenches. We lost too many games last year up front on both sides. Sorting that matters much more to me than offensive skill guys. The Bills got better up front. On both lines. That is a major win. 

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I really like the pick and how they’ve gone about completely revamping the line this offseason.

The one thing I wonder about is his strength. He seems like a bull on the field, but put up a less than inspiring 19 reps at the combine. Probably nothing to worry about, because he really does seem able to move people in the run game (and he’s huge). Just surprised by his uninspiring performance on the bench.

I'm happy with the pick over a skill player as I wasn't quite certain they had enough talent on that line for this season. Now it looks like that entire line is revamped save LT which wasn't so bad with a decent player at LG. Dawkins, Spain, Morse, Long, Ford should be the starting five and a huge improvement over last years starters.

The run blocking should be fun to watch this season and now Allen should have more time to complete those deep passes he loves to throw. Should be a very much improved offense. 

19 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

I thought Metcalf was BPA:)

Obviously my board isnt the Bills board but most of their picks were near the top of my BPA list when they picked them.

Oliver was my #1 BPA

Ford was my #4 BPA

Knox was my #11 BPA

Joseph was my #4 BPA

J. Johnson was my #6 BPA

The two 7th rounders were not on my board and I had Singletary a bit lower down but otherwise they were pretty close on where I had guys and where they took them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I knew you'd be pleased. Personally I am glad that the team spent their first two picks on the trenches. We lost too many games last year up front on both sides. Sorting that matters much more to me than offensive skill guys. The Bills got better up front. On both lines. That is a major win. 

How good do you think Ford will be at RT?

I'm envisioning the duo of he and Dawkins tryna pass block the oppositions best rushers on the road on 3rd downs.     Could have the best sextet of guards in the league though!    Just gotta' stay on schedule with those downs and distances Dabol.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

How good do you think Ford will be at RT?

I'm envisioning the duo of he and Dawkins tryna pass block the oppositions best rushers on the road on 3rd downs.     Could have the best sextet of guards in the league though!    Just gotta' stay on schedule with those downs and distances Dabol.

So the reason I had him as a 1st/2nd borderline rather than a pure 1st round grade was precisely that Badol - and Beane himself referred to it today - can he hold up against the best pure speed rushers? His feet are a little slow and because he isn't the longest at 6ft3 if they get the corner on him he might struggle to recover. I had him as my top interior offensive lineman but with tackle flex. I think they are doing the right thing starting him off at tackle and I am 60/40 on the chance of him succeeding there but if he doesn't I am convinced he will have a long NFL career as a guard. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2