Who to draft on Day 2

I would be so happy with Irv Smith Jr in round 2 at 40. Otherwise Cody Ford or Zach Allen. 

Should Jachai Polite be available in round 3 at 74 I'd risk that pick on him, bad combine but a very good past season, a fumble causing defensive end.

If there is any trading activity, I like Amani Hooker, safety from Iowa at the end of round 3.

I'm not sure I get the Irv Smith love. That would definitely be a disappointing pick from my perspective. He's 6'2 242 with short arms and a 4.6 40 time. He strikes me as a poor man's Jared Cook. Age was not Cook's only issue in free agency. The advantage with the top TE's is that they're multi-dimensional. You don't get that kind of edge with an Irv Smith.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Because he sucks! Don’t recall ever being so justified in my belief than to see every team pass him by. Some with multiple picks! 

Oh! Wait a minute.. DK.

Because he sucks! Don’t recall ever being so justified in my belief than to see every team pass him by. Some with 3 Frekin Picks!

...Pauline said injury questions as well as weight control issues in college....we can do better......you do not drop like this if those are rumors IMO.........

My Day 2 picks

I think Metcalf gets taken before the Bills pick...(can’t see Cards, 49ers and Raiders all passing..)

I think Risner should still be there at 40 and he ticks all the “process” boxes.. so leaning that way at the moment..

I think the third pick might be Sternberger... He may require a move up into the 60’s though..

31 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'm not sure I get the Irv Smith love. That would definitely be a disappointing pick from my perspective. He's 6'2 242 with short arms and a 4.6 40 time. He strikes me as a poor man's Jared Cook. Age was not Cook's only issue in free agency. The advantage with the top TE's is that they're multi-dimensional. You don't get that kind of edge with an Irv Smith.

A 4.6 40 is very good to outstanding for a TE.

Whoever they like best (and of course who is left) among Jawaan Taylor, Cody Ford and Dalton Risner.

I could see possibly taking Irv Smith Jr, but I think I would prefer one of the OTs.

In round 3, I would consider Andy Isabella to try to be our new Don Beebe.  

I would not want to part with their 3rd round pick, but if they wanted to try to move up a bit from 40 for someone that they REALLY like, I could be persuaded to part with their 4ths.

Edited by OldTimer1960

4 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

A 4.6 40 is very good to outstanding for a TE.

I would say good to outstanding for a traditional TE. At 6'2 240, he's anything but a conventional tight end. I have read reports that his blocking is decent, but this is not a guy I want to see the Bills use a 2nd round pick on. JMO.

16 hours ago, Buffalo86 said:

Projected 2nd round (or better) picks with whom the Bills have had visits:

• Jace Sternberger, TE, Texas A&M
  • Amani Oruwariye, CB, Penn State
  • Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida 
  • D.K. Metcalf, WR, Ole Miss
  • A.J. Brown, WR, Ole Miss
  • Juan Thornhill, S, Virginia
  • Jaylon Ferguson, DE, Louisiana Tech
  • Greg Little, OT, Ole Miss 
  • Sean Bunting, CB, Central Michigan

Metcalf may be taken by Arizona or SF but AJ Brown could be available and I like him better, even though he may not have great speed. Availability, dependability and productivity.

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

I would say good to outstanding for a traditional TE. At 6'2 240, he's anything but a conventional tight end. I have read reports that his blocking is decent, but this is not a guy I want to see the Bills use a 2nd round pick on. JMO.

Agreed that he isn’t going to be an in-line blocking TE, but from what I’ve read and watched in some of his games he will stick his nose in there and make some good blocks.  

I still argue that 4.6 is quite good for any type of TE.  Antonio Gates ran 4.6, Tony Gonzalez was 4.8 and Travis Kelce ran 4.63.

FWIW, I would prefer a well rounded TE that is a good blocker and receiver, so I’m not saying that they HAVE to take Smith, but I do like him as much as the WRs in this round.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I guess all depends whether Daboll wants to vouch for Smith Jr, he is young and from a big school.

There are no Jimmy Graham''s/Gronkowski's in this draft in terms of height/weight (6 foot 7, 265lbs) - only day 3 guys like Trevon Wesco and Zach Gentry.

Staying at 40, there will be player who unexpectedly slipped out of round 1 available to us. There are 5 to 8 players who I thought were round 1 locks e.g. Ford, DK etc.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, OldTimer1960 said:

Agreed that he isn’t going to be an in-line blocking TE, but from what I’ve read and watched in some of his games he will stick his nose in there and make some good blocks.  

I still argue that 4.6 is quite good for any type of TE.  Antonio Gates ran 4.6, Tony Gonzalez was 4.8 and Travis Kelce ran 4.63.

FWIW, I would prefer a well rounded TE that is a good blocker and receiver, so I’m not saying that they HAVE to take Smith, but I do like him as much as the WRs in this round.

Yeah. We'll have to agree to disagree. The 4.6 40 isn't really my issue. The greatest WR of all time ran a 4.6. It's also not an indication that he has no chance of being successful. I guess I'd prefer to see a better time for this type of player. I'd be much more comfortable with Smith in the 3rd.

My HUNCH is that they'll go in a different direction and end up taking Nauta in the 4th or 5th round. Should be a fun night.

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am watching this piece on Dalton Risner on NFLN. 

Gimme that guy. 

As I watched it, I said the same thing.  What a great young man and a good football player to boot.  It would be fantastic to have him on the Bills.  ?

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Greedy Williams LSU

Related image

I might wager on this being true and i do not gamble>

do not be pissed we to secondary.  this might be a great pick for Buffalo

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am watching this piece on Dalton Risner on NFLN. 

Gimme that guy. 

He fits Buffalo perfectly it seems : )

2 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

I want DK but there is always a surprise pick

river boat gambler aren't you : )

• Like (+1) 1

Risner is tough as nails. He could be moved to guard as well. He and Ford would probably be the targets because we know how we like to target guys who can play multiple OL positions. Ford won't be around at 40, but Risner might be. I am just afraid the the seemingly bad news on Jawaan may be bad enough that people skip him in round 2 as well and we lose a shot at Risner also because of it.

• Thank you (+1) 1