Who to draft on Day 2

20 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

If I had my way, we'd wait on TE and OT...

Take your alpha WR at 2 (DK, Butler, AJB in that order), get a TE at 3 (Sternberger, Oliver, Knox, Walling) and then you can take a developmental T (Edwards) and DE in the 4th. 

Or for that matter, trade one of the 4s and maybe a 2020 3 or 4 for Solomon Thomas -- I like that solution even better.

I'm waiting to use a lot draft capital on WR until next year.  This year is serviceable and will be dependent on Josh Allen (same thoughts for RB).  We could still use a late pick on a flyer, but next year is deep at the skill positions so thats when I would spend my draft capital.

1 minute ago, YattaOkasan said:

I'm waiting to use a lot draft capital on WR until next year.  This year is serviceable and will be dependent on Josh Allen (same thoughts for RB).  We could still use a late pick on a flyer, but next year is deep at the skill positions so thats when I would spend my draft capital.

I don't think we can afford to wait and give our franchise QB "serviceable"... The talent is there now, the risk has been removed, and we don't have any completely glaring holes elsewhere (aside from TE), but I addressed that too...

2 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

I don't think we can afford to wait and give our franchise QB "serviceable"... The talent is there now, the risk has been removed, and we don't have any completely glaring holes elsewhere (aside from TE), but I addressed that too...

I just don't see the talent now is all.  I could live with it if they decide, but I dont trust anyone on the board really.  With the tackle position I see lots of good. 

I'm not sure what you mean by the risk (its a lower draft choice?, its still a 2nd rounder!). 

I'm cool with your TE plan.  I agree with no glaring holes, but I would use that to pick from what the draft is good at for the future.  Feels as if you want to try to land a superstar skill position player.  I think the most probable outcome in that scenario is our pick at the skill position isnt that good and we are in need of OL next year when the talent isnt there in the draft (cause we have so many short contracts to serviceable OL). 

I'm ok with different approaches, but let me know if youre thinking something different.

14 hours ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

A couple options I like are still there...

DK Metcalf, didn’t like him at 9, but we’re right around his value area now.

AJ Brown, my top receiver in the draft

Deebo Samuel

Dalton Risner

Jawaan Taylor, why is he still there?

Because he sucks! Don’t recall ever being so justified in my belief than to see every team pass him by. Some with multiple picks! 

Oh! Wait a minute.. DK.

Because he sucks! Don’t recall ever being so justified in my belief than to see every team pass him by. Some with 3 Frekin Picks!

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

Because he sucks! Don’t recall ever being so justified in my belief than to see every team pass him by. Some with multiple picks! 

Oh! Wait a minute.. DK.

Because he sucks! Don’t recall ever being so justified in my belief than to see every team pass him by. Some with 3 Frekin Picks!

I liked his tape against Josh Allen.  I thought he could be plug and play RT.  remind me what your thoughts on him were.  Agreed on DK.

Anyhoo, How do you build a team?

THROUGH THE MIDDLE!

McBeane has brought us Poyer & Hyde, Edmunds & Milano, Oliver & Harry, Morse & Spain, Shady and ..um.. whatsizname.

3 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

I liked his tape against Josh Allen.  I thought he could be plug and play RT.  remind me what your thoughts on him were.  Agreed on DK.

I watch every Gator game -it’s what we do here. Never stood out, never talked up by the team nor reporters. Never anything other than he started for a couple seasons. All of  a sudden he’s the next Will Wolford? Zero evidence.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

I just don't see the talent now is all.  I could live with it if they decide, but I dont trust anyone on the board really.  With the tackle position I see lots of good. 

I'm not sure what you mean by the risk (its a lower draft choice?, its still a 2nd rounder!). 

I'm cool with your TE plan.  I agree with no glaring holes, but I would use that to pick from what the draft is good at for the future.  Feels as if you want to try to land a superstar skill position player.  I think the most probable outcome in that scenario is our pick at the skill position isnt that good and we are in need of OL next year when the talent isnt there in the draft (cause we have so many short contracts to serviceable OL). 

I'm ok with different approaches, but let me know if youre thinking something different.

DK, Butler and AJ Brown are all very talented WRs, regardless of class who would add to the talent in our locker room. 

I've said this before but I'll repeat it, our WR corps consists of: 

• Smokey Brown, who has bounced around and never really *made it* anywhere -- that's not all bad luck.
  • Zay Jones, who's had half of a solid season and literally almost killed himself prior to that. Hopefully he turned the corner, but not a guy I'm counting as a rock solid producer for the next decade.
  • Robert Foster, who went undrafted and had half a season of success (after getting cut by us -- one of the worst teams in the league last year, after seeing what he could do for 4 months...) Like Zay, hopefully something clicked and he's turned a corner, but it's just as likely that teams were disrespecting him/Allen and forcing them to beat them with the long ball.
  • Cole Beasley -- good slot guy but he doesn't offer a ton in the way of dynamism or mismatches. 
  • Duke Williams -- the CFL is not the NFL and he's already flamed out once...

Not exactly a murderer's row... At this point everyone has their warts, but a good coach can find ways to win with the guys I mentioned above. 

1 minute ago, glazeduck said:

DK, Butler and AJ Brown are all very talented WRs, regardless of class who would add to the talent in our locker room. 

I've said this before but I'll repeat it, our WR corps consists of: 

• Smokey Brown, who has bounced around and never really *made it* anywhere -- that's not all bad luck.
  • Zay Jones, who's had half of a solid season and literally almost killed himself prior to that. Hopefully he turned the corner, but not a guy I'm counting as a rock solid producer for the next decade.
  • Robert Foster, who went undrafted and had half a season of success (after getting cut by us -- one of the worst teams in the league last year, after seeing what he could do for 4 months...) Like Zay, hopefully something clicked and he's turned a corner, but it's just as likely that teams were disrespecting him/Allen and forcing them to beat them with the long ball.
  • Cole Beasley -- good slot guy but he doesn't offer a ton in the way of dynamism or mismatches. 
  • Duke Williams -- the CFL is not the NFL and he's already flamed out once...

Not exactly a murderer's row... At this point everyone has their warts, but a good coach can find ways to win with the guys I mentioned above. 

Yeah I think our assessment of the WR room is the same (not looking long term with any one but Cole really), but DK can't change directions/Butler has the drops/I didnt watch tape of AJ.  Like I said I'm not sold on any of them.  I think our OL room is only slightly better than our WR room so thats where my focus is with pick 2.  Good discussion thanks!

1 minute ago, YattaOkasan said:

Yeah I think our assessment of the WR room is the same (not looking long term with any one but Cole really), but DK can't change directions/Butler has the drops/I didnt watch tape of AJ.  Like I said I'm not sold on any of them.  I think our OL room is only slightly better than our WR room so thats where my focus is with pick 2.  Good discussion thanks!

That's fine, it doesn't seem like you've done a whole lot of research, I happen to think your opinions on the first two are incredibly incomplete and am not sure how you can be unsold on someone you know absolutely nothing about, but so as long as you're not Brandon Beane, you're certainly entitled to having less than a completely researched opinion. 

1 hour ago, glazeduck said:

That's fine, it doesn't seem like you've done a whole lot of research, I happen to think your opinions on the first two are incredibly incomplete and am not sure how you can be unsold on someone you know absolutely nothing about, but so as long as you're not Brandon Beane, you're certainly entitled to having less than a completely researched opinion. 

I think I've done adequate research between tape and reading others analysis.  I watched the Butler tape.  Was not impressed (too many drops).  I was high on Harry based on his tape. I saw bits of AJ from the DK tape.  I'll look at a game now, but I don't think his game is there.  I DID see Taylor man handle Josh Allen and really everyone against him.  We can disagree about if the tackle talent is better than the WR talent in this draft.

Finished the Auburn game for AJ brown.  I don't see the upside relative to anyone we have currently.  He had 2 big gainers and a TD.  Also 3 balls that hit him in the hands (2 were difficult catches the other he got hit hard on).  Caught him loafing on several plays.  I dont see it (I was more biased in this game than all my other evaluations probably).  His stats were super interesting when considered with the film I've seen (one game and pieces from the DK review) he appears to be a boom or bust guy (not much on a bubble or chunks of yards cause he got into open space).  He honestly reminds of a poor man's Sammy.  Lastly, it seems AJ kills it during garbage time and against over matched opponents.  I contrast this with Harry who was often making game breaking plays in the 4th quarter.  What are you thinking AJ brings that we don't have in the WR room?

I can tell you Taylor is a beast on the tape.  Finally 4 OTs off the board in round 1 and only 2 WR.  This draft is good at OT.  We should get one so we don't need one in a down year next year.

Edited by YattaOkasan

25 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

I watched the Butler tape.  Was not impressed.  I was on Harry.  Bellichek who hasn't been great at WR agrees though.  I saw bits of AJ from the DK tape.  I'll look at a game now, but I don't think his game is there.  I DID see Taylor man handle Josh Allen and really everyone against him.  We can disagree about if the tackle talent is better than the WR talent in this draft.

You and I aren't arguing about Taylor, that's somebody else...

Harry played well against a really bad Pac 12. Brown and DK played as well or better in a stellar SEC. I think that's the difference to me. My only issue is that you can't evaluate a guy in one or two words. I'm extremely confident that both Butler and DK will be good-great WRs in this league...

Just now, glazeduck said:

You and I aren't arguing about Taylor, that's somebody else...

Harry played well against a really bad Pac 12. Brown and DK played as well or better in a stellar SEC. I think that's the difference to me. My only issue is that you can't evaluate a guy in one or two words. I'm extremely confident that both Butler and DK will be good-great WRs in this league...

I threw Taylor in as an example of good OT still on the board.

Harry did play against a down Pac 12 but he was changing the outcome of games.  I didnt see that with any of the guys you listed (now with tape on all).  I am not confident Butler will hold on to the ball enough and DK is too one dimensional.  I am also leveraging the analysis of the other draft scouts (too much tape for any one person).