Hockenson at #9 Change My Mind

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I like Croom but I don’t like either of the 2 guys we have enough to not want a #1 TE. I think we have a 2 and a 3 right now.

We also brought in Kroft.....I dont think the bills plan on him riding the bench and he fits that big soft hands target over the middle guy

And he blocks

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I like Croom but I don’t like either of the 2 guys we have enough to not want a #1 TE. I think we have a 2 and a 3 right now.

I hear ya, we definitely arent set at the position. But we're better than I keep remembering.

Personally, I dont think we should reach for a TE at #9, but I'm all for acquiring one within the first 3 rounds.

19 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

The thing is its not even middling talent.....this D is pretty much set and we would have 9 more picks.....

We really set this D up last year getting Edmunds, Taron Johnson, finding Wallace, etc.

If you think our D is set with what we have at d-line then I can’t agree. Hughes is literally our only player that can get to the QB.

Just now, blacklabel said:

There will be more highly valued players on the board at 9. Hockenson seems like he's going to be a good one but he won't be BPA if the Bills stay at 9.

He should have a similar grade as some of the top Dline. A good TE would have more value than a DT imo. Our success is all about developing Allen. There will be some really good DTs like Tillery available in round 2. I don’t think there will be a huge drop off in the DT talent from pick 9 to our second round pick. Good chance all three of the top TEs are gone though. 

Just now, Bangarang said:

If you think our D is set with what we have at d-line then I can’t agree. Hughes is literally our only player that can get to the QB.

Bang very few teams have pro bowler's at every position.

I think you could move Lorax down onto the line and get very good pass rush from that side.......Shaq took a jump last year and is a good edge player

And they did bring Ziggie in for a visit....they are obviously not done looking there......you can bet one of those 10 picks is gonna go on a edge rusher

The question is if these guys go before we pk who would u rather have. 

#1 Cards Murray

#2 49ers Bosa 

#3 Jets Allen

#4 Raiders Quinnen 

#5 Bucs Sweat

#6 Giants Oliver

#7 Jags DK

#8 Lions Taylor

Now we got Gary, Wilkins or Hock on the board. I got Hock as the best player available.  He's the more sure thing to me out of these 3 players to be a bona-fide game changer at his position.  Let's not forget we are modeling our offense after the Pat's and we are missing that elite TE.

36 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I want the best TE in the draft. I’m all in for it at 9 or any pick that requires what I just said. Im tired of these lower mid tier TEs. In Bills history, we have never had a truly elite TE. I’m talking Kelce, Ertz, Kittle level. Not A guy like Pete Metzalars that was a great BILLS tight end...I want a guy that is great in relation to the rest of the NFL. Not just the C list guys in Bills history. Go out and get the top TE. I don’t mind it at 9.

I will say that if you can hit on a elite TE that it is a huge mismatch nightmare for the other team. Hock looks like he checks all the boxes for being a Elite TE in the NFL. He reminds me of Kelce a lot. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, billspro said:

He should have a similar grade as some of the top Dline. A good TE would have more value than a DT imo. Our success is all about developing Allen. There will be some really good DTs like Tillery available in round 2. I don’t think there will be a huge drop off in the DT talent from pick 9 to our second round pick. Good chance all three of the top TEs are gone though. 

I hear what you're saying but DT is a major part of McDermott's defense. They struggled against the run and struggled to generate pressure up the middle last year and that was with Kyle still playing. We know Lotulelei is there to free up the LBs, Jordan Phillips made a couple of nice plays last year and hopefully he'll keep that up. Harrison Phillips seems like he's still acclimating to the game. Beyond those three there's Kyle Peko and Robert Thomas, practice squad/depth guys. I understand only Croom and Kroft are the only TEs but you can find a decent TE in a later round. There are some great DL prospects at the top of this draft and I just can't see them passing on one of those guys in favor of a TE.

• Thank you (+1) 1

At this point I have no idea who I want. 

Maybe one of the top guys drops to us like:

Quentin Williams

josh Allen

Rashan Gary

Nick Bosa

whos knows. Or we go:

Hockenson

Metcalf 

Ed Oliver

Jawaan Taylor 

Jonah Williams

Montez Sweat

either way we are getting a stud player!!!!! Let’s hope there is a big run on QBs and CBs in the top 10  ? 

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Bang very few teams have pro bowler's at every position.

Who is saying you need a PB at every position?

I think you could move Lorax down onto the line and get very good pass rush from that side.......Shaq took a jump last year and is a good edge player

Shaq is not a pass rusher. He is capable of getting a sack here or there but you’re in trouble if you’re relying on him to get to the QB with any kind of consistency.

And they did bring Ziggie in for a visit....they are obviously not done looking there......you can bet one of those 10 picks is gonna go on a edge rusher

Our interior leaves a lot to be desired. If I were making the decisions I would take Oliver at 9 if he was available.

Edited by Bangarang

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Ed Oliver and it ain't close.

Odds are decent that I can get Risner right where I am in round 2.

This.

IMO #9 is a 5 player spot for us:  Bosa / Quinnen Williams / Allen / Oliver / White. 

I could be talked into Sweat but he feels a little "Vernon Gholston-y" to me.  If one of those 5 are on the board, take them.  If all 5 are gone by 9 I can entertain Hock, one of the OTs or a trade down.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

Kahale Waring in the 3rd or 4th is better value.  Great blocker and good upside in the passing game, with tremendous athleticism.

I like Hock a lot, but think there are options out there. Probably not as NFL ready as I think Hockenson will be (they do a good job coaching that position at Iowa), but there is talent in this draft.

What I don't get are the folks still putting Irv Smith in this discussion. 6' 2" and meh combine numbers. Would not be the guy I would slot as my TE.

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

Who is saying you need a PB at every position?

Shaq is not a pass rusher. He is capable

of getting a sack here or there but you’re in trouble if you’re relying on him to get to the QB with any kind of consistency.

Our interior leaves a lot to be desired. If I were making the decisions I would take Oliver at 9 if he was available.

The prob of Oliver at 9 if he is there is high....anyone who hates that I dont know what they are thinking.

I think that our DT situation is in better situation then most think.........I liked the selection of Horrible Harry last year.

If you like what George Kittle can do, that's why you're likely ok with picking Hockenson at #9.  In order to develop Josh Allen's game, you need to provide him a variety of pass catchers on every pass down.  

IMO, what sets him apart, like many TEs from Iowa, is he a football player first, athlete second.  I think that's important when you get to the NFL as everyone is an amazing athlete, the plays are more complicated, the game is faster, etc.  

Guys like Nkoju and Ebron are superior athletes who had to learn how to play football to produce in the NFL.  I don't know what happened with Ebron in Indy, but it's like there was a legitimate football epiphany there because he went from catching absolutely nothing to catching everything.   

8 TEs went before Kittle.

Eifert went before Ertz.

4 TEs picked before Kelce. 

In 2012, Colby Fleener was picked at #34 while Dwayne Allen was picked at #64 BY THE SAME TEAM...and neither one ended up being spectacular. Allen is still playing and Fleener is out of football. 

It's a total crapshoot drafting TEs imo. Terrible value in the first round, let alone top 10. Hard pass.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, John from Riverside said:

The prob of Oliver at 9 if he is there is high....anyone who hates that I dont know what they are thinking.

I think the chances he is there is better than you think apparently. If he is it’s a very easy decision for me.

Just now, John from Riverside said:

I think that our DT situation is in better situation then most think.........I liked the selection of Horrible Harry last year.

There’s nothing special or impressive about our DT situation right now. 

• Like (+1) 1