The Jets Are Winning Free Agency, But Will It Even Matter in 2019?

12 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It does mean improvement if they are better than the guys previously occupying those spots. It is inarguable that Osemele, Mosley and Crowder do not upgrade their respective spots. I’m lower on Barr than some others but he has had succcess. 

Just my gut reaction, but how much have they spent, and how will they afford to fill the other 20+/- holes they have? I know they had a lot of space, but.... I ask that to make self feel better, because it does seem like they are bringing in a lot of talent, and they are one of the teams in on L. Bell??? I don’t want them getting Bell, and I hope that’s too rich for them after the $$$ $pent already. 

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It does mean improvement if they are better than the guys previously occupying those spots. It is inarguable that Osemele, Mosley and Crowder do not upgrade their respective spots. I’m lower on Barr than some others but he has had succcess. 

I suppose it could work out, but just seems like they don’t have a plan other than spending a lot of money.  It was the same thing trading up last year when they did.  They didn’t care which QB they got. They just needed to get one of the top 3 QB’s.  That’s a more dangerous game with free agency because you’re just attracting guys who are 100% coming there for the money and nothing else.  It’s the Redskins for the last 20 years and the Dolphins under Gase.  

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

How do you figure they don't have a plan? 

Spending available cap space on solid FAs= not having a plan?

They have almost the exact same needs as the Bills and by all accounts overpaid for 2 non-rush LB’s who they gave mega-deals to.  And they have been linked to almost every high profile Free Agent.    

• Like (+1) 2

I’m still not too worried, their offensive line is pathetic looking. They better get to signing some of those guys and I might worry. 

And per usual with ol Gregg he’s gonna blitz non stop, even when you adjust and beat it he’s still coming at ya lol. Just gotta figure out how to beat his blitz scheme for the week and you can drop 40 anytime. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, eball said:

Make a list for me of all of the teams who have spent wildly in free agency and gone on to sustained (or even immediate) success.

The Rams went from picking 1st (yes, it was a trade up) to the Super Bowl in 2 years after 2 incredibly flashy offseasons.

The Eagles were extremely aggressive in FA after getting Wentz and won the SB shortly thereafter.

Two recent examples have rendered the cautionary Eagles Vick "Dream Team" a thing of a different era.

20 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

The Rams went from picking 1st (yes, it was a trade up) to the Super Bowl in 2 years after 2 incredibly flashy offseasons.

The Eagles were extremely aggressive in FA after getting Wentz and won the SB shortly thereafter.

Two recent examples have rendered the cautionary Eagles Vick "Dream Team" a thing of a different era.

I don't know, I don't recall thinking either of those teams "spent wildly" but I may be wrong...as noted in another thread, only Denver's spending spree the year they brought in Peyton really comes to mind...

Edited by eball

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

Osemele was their best move so far.... everything else has been overspending for the sake of covering up bad drafting. 

True on covering up for draft mistakes, but the money doesn't play the game.  The players they signed are proven talent.  Doesn't mean their team will mesh, but it is very possible they take a big step forward.

46 minutes ago, eball said:

Make a list for me of all of the teams who have spent wildly in free agency and gone on to sustained (or even immediate) success.

This will be the Jets issue:

https://www.thephinsider.com/2018/12/31/18163202/interesting-burner-account-twitter-launches-grenades-at-adam-gase-fire-current-player-miami-dolphins

Also I hope Greggo blows up on him at some point

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

They have a good QB, so yes, Bills fans should be worried when a team like that loads up on bona fide talent. Gase, who I don’t like overall, calls good offensive games (unfortunately). Williams, who I despise, has had some occasional success over the years coaching good defenses. 

It would seem that way, but the more active you are in FA is not directly proportional to how many games you win the subsequent season. It all still has to come together, and I think there will be plenty of growing pains in that first season altogether. There also seems to be politics at play among the coaching staff.

Honestly, the Jets can sign all of these guys because they are absolutely deplorable at drafting. Just look back at their history and see how many first and second round guys are still on the team - since 2009, 4 of a total 18 first and second round picks are still on the team. Shiny FA signings are shiny, but they aren't sustainable in terms of building team success; you need a strong cohort and profile of talent through the draft to build anything remotely stable and affordable. It essentially looks like MacCagan is both feeling the hot seat and cashing in on Sammy's five-year rookie deal to get it done for the new regime; a lot of these massive contracts will be up by the time they need to extend Sammy. It also seems like this is the only year they're looking to fill FA holes and have cashed out on the next two years at least.

But the piece to the puzzle that would concern me is how well will they draft in the interim? Until they are able to build an development pipeline through the draft, I will not be afraid of the Jets becoming perennial contenders in the Division.

Edited by ctk232

14 minutes ago, purple haze said:

True on covering up for draft mistakes, but the money doesn't play the game.  The players they signed are proven talent.  Doesn't mean their team will mesh, but it is very possible they take a big step forward.

also very possible the linger in mediocrity and never pull it to together but have the cap hell to show for it

53 minutes ago, eball said:

Thank you. Lawd we go through this every year it's like watching goldfish.

The more active you are in FA is not directly proportional to number of W's - ever, at all. 

3 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Maccagan must be feeing the hot seat.  He’s gone all out in Doug Whaley-like desperation to sign big names in Free Agency to phat contracts including:

Anthony “The” Barr

CJ Mosely

Jamison Crowder

Josh Bellamy

The retaining of Robby Anderson and Big Quince Enunwa.

And they may not be done as rumors are flying they are interested in Matt Paradis and possibly L’evion Bell.

Its easy to say that so far the Jets have “won the offseason” like Rex Ryan would say.  

But will it matter?  It’s not hard to throw around guaranteed cash and sign players to big contracts.  We saw Buddy Nix and Whaley do this as Bills fans.  Loading a team doesn’t work unless they are properly utilized.  For that to happen you need good coaching in place, which comes down to Adam Gase and Greggggggg Williams.   Gase has been accused by Miami fans of squandering talent on several different rosters, and didn’t do very much to reclaim Ryan Tannehil.  

Do you worry about the Jets next season after these splashy FA moves?

Until they have to cut some players because they are in cap hell.

55 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I think they are making these moves a year too early.  They are further behind in the rebuild process than we are.  But I guess if you cant draft well then this is the route you have to go.

• Like (+1) 1