Can teams void a trade if a player refuses to report?

This whole AB situation got me thinking.   What happens if the Bills pulled the trigger on Brown and traded for him, despite the fact that he said he wouldn’t report.

Once the trade is consummated, if a player refuses to report to the team that traded for him and sits out an entire season (a la Bell) can the team void the trade?  

If they can’t void the trade then it shows how players ultimately hold the power....not the GM or team.  

This would be tough because if brown sat out the year, what would happen to the pick the Steelers made with the traded asset?  I guess technically the trade could maybe have language that says something about buffalo getting Pitts 1st in 2020 if Brown doesn’t report, and Pitt gets his contract back and rights back?  

38 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

Every trade has language about passing a physical

If the player never shows up, he doesn't pass, and the trade is voided.

I believe this is correct-I know it has happened before but I am not certain it is in every contract.

44 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I dont know, what happened when Darwin Walker did it to us? I feel like we still lost our picks, but got some back when we traded him to a team he wanted to play for, think it was the Bears?

Amazing that the guy didn't show up - we dumped him for a 5th that we used to package to get stroud.  

But the original trade was walker + 7th for takeo spikes and holcomb.  And somehow that 7th was Stevie Johnson.  So I think we won a trade, where the guy we traded for didn't even show up.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

This whole AB situation got me thinking.   What happens if the Bills pulled the trigger on Brown and traded for him, despite the fact that he said he wouldn’t report.

Once the trade is consummated, if a player refuses to report to the team that traded for him and sits out an entire season (a la Bell) can the team void the trade?  

If they can’t void the trade then it shows how players ultimately hold the power....not the GM or team.  

Great question.. I would GUESS every team has one of their attorneys review every contract..at least I would hope they would.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

If he were to report for a physical and pass he could still refuse to play.  In that scenario, the team a player is traded to has to deal with that issue.  

That's why it makes sense that the Bills said no to the deal because they didn't talk to Brown's camp. 

Man.. sometimes being a genius and knowing how to use google/wikipedia is a curse....

On March 3, 2007, Plummer was traded to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for a 2008 conditional draft pick. However, rumors began to surface that Plummer was going to choose retirement over competition with the Buccaneers' four other quarterbacks on the roster (Bruce Gradkowski, Tim Rattay, Jeff Garcia, and Luke McCown).[14] On March 9, Plummer ended the speculation by announcing his decision to retire.[2]Plummer also confirmed his retirement through the Jake Plummer Foundation's website.[15] Since he was still under contract to the Buccaneers and had already been given his contract signing bonus, Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden met with Plummer in July to try to convince him to reconsider and report for training camp.[2][16] However, the attempt was unsuccessful and the team sued for recovery of the bonus. A settlement was finally reached on June 10, 2008 in which Plummer was required to pay back $3.5 million to the Buccaneers.[17]

1 hour ago, gobills1212 said:

Man.. sometimes being a genius and knowing how to use google/wikipedia is a curse....

On March 3, 2007, Plummer was traded to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for a 2008 conditional draft pick. However, rumors began to surface that Plummer was going to choose retirement over competition with the Buccaneers' four other quarterbacks on the roster (Bruce Gradkowski, Tim Rattay, Jeff Garcia, and Luke McCown).[14] On March 9, Plummer ended the speculation by announcing his decision to retire.[2]Plummer also confirmed his retirement through the Jake Plummer Foundation's website.[15] Since he was still under contract to the Buccaneers and had already been given his contract signing bonus, Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden met with Plummer in July to try to convince him to reconsider and report for training camp.[2][16] However, the attempt was unsuccessful and the team sued for recovery of the bonus. A settlement was finally reached on June 10, 2008 in which Plummer was required to pay back $3.5 million to the Buccaneers.[17]

That’s real nice but the article says nothing about compensation getting returned

If you were a genius, you would have understood that the original question was regarding the compensation the other team received for him in the trade, not salary or bonus money paid.

And unless specifically specified in the deal (which no ones going to agree to), once the trade is official, it's a done deal, unless it can be found that the other team committed some kind of fraud or they agree to alter the terms of the deal. Most players will at least report because they don't want to lose money or be seen as being an issue and try to work out a deal with the new team to get flipped, or a better deal to make them happy. If AB didn't say last night he would refuse to play in Buffalo, there's a chance the Bills could have lost a pick and draft position just to hold ABs rights.....

• Like (+1) 1

Man... now i gotta post the rest of it too?!? ;)

On March, 2, 2007, Plummer faxed a letter to the NFL office stating his intention to retire. The next day, the Broncos traded his contractual rights to the Bucs in exchange for a fourth-round selection in the 2008 draft if he played, or a seventh-rounder if he didn’t. Plummer indeed retired, and the Broncos used the seventh-round draft choice they acquired from Tampa Bay to select fullback Peyton Hillis. The Bucs, in return, are expected to get $3.5 million of Plummer’s signing bonus for a seventh-round pick

Conditions conditions conditions... i guess i just kinda thought it was assumed as it was mentioned and the money stuff w the bonuses is the interesting part.

Edited by gobills1212

Man... now i gotta post the rest of it too?!? ;)

On March, 2, 2007, Plummer faxed a letter to the NFL office stating his intention to retire. The next day, the Broncos traded his contractual rights to the Bucs in exchange for a fourth-round selection in the 2008 draft if he played, or a seventh-rounder if he didn’t. Plummer indeed retired, and the Broncos used the seventh-round draft choice they acquired from Tampa Bay to select fullback Peyton Hillis. The Bucs, in return, are expected to get $3.5 million of Plummer’s signing bonus for a seventh-round pick

Conditions conditions conditions... i guess i just kinda thought it was assumed as it was mentioned and the money stuff w the bonuses is the interesting part.

And that's how Peyton Hillis, one of the best one hit wonders, got into the NFL... I love the circles of the NFL.