SI.com: Why Antonio Brown's Trade to the Bills Fell Through

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the way Brown looks at it if he is going to a team that is ready to compete he's take less money (none of them seem interested at this stage) he doesn't have to get top dollar. If he is going to a team rebuilding or about to rebuild (the Bills, Titans, Redskins and Raiders all fit into that category and you can make an argument that the Bills are furthest along) then he wants to be paid like the best receiver in the NFL. I don't think it is that unreasonable and from his perspective there is no urgency at this stage. The Steelers want a resolution so that they can put the whole charade to bed but any "deadline" is artificial. 

The Bills were clearly not willing to do what they did for Shady and put themselves on the hook for more money down the road and so talks broke down. 

I am not going to hate on Brown for his take on it this is a big decision about where he plays out his last years in the league. But equally I think the Bills set themselves sensible negotiating parameters. The frustrating thing is it leaking. If this had happened silently it is the kind of deal that often gets resurrected the closer the draft gets. The way it went down though I think that is a remote possibility happen now.  

What?  Mr. Big Chest doesn't feel that way..."Brown said that he’s really only interested in playing for guaranteed money.

“If your squad out there wanna win, and your squad want a hungry wide receiver who’s the best in the whole world, someone hit my phone up,” Brown said. “Tell ’em I ain’t doing no un-guarantees.

7 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Yeah like Gilmore, Darby, Jordan Matthews, Woods, Watkins, Hogan, Mario, Dareus, Byrd, Levitre, Maclin, Kiko, Goodwin etc etc etc.

League is just FILLED with dudes who love Buffalo.  Filled with them.

This doesn't even pass the basic sniff test of logic. Gilmore, and I guess Dareus to a degree (his comments felt a bit man-scorned), have popped off post being here, but most of these guys were traded and let go (and, for crying out loud, Maclin didn't even play here so he fits the original premise anyway).

Your better argument might have been Whitner and a couple others who have been vocal on Twitter, but mostly they were whipping boys and part of me does not blame them.

But let's just say that ALL the players you mentioned left Buffalo in a huff and have been bad mouthing their time here, the fact that some people did not like it here does not mean that many others do. 

But, by all means, self-loathe about the city. I have mixed feelings. I live in NYC. I've thought about coming back to WNY b/c of CoL and sense of community, but ultimately while I'm a Bills fan and lived in Buffalo for many years, NYC is still the home I chose. There are reasons players might not want to come to Buffalo, but you have to admit it's quite the football community, and to suggest that it's crazy to suggest that a lot of players come here and like it seems to be ignoring the evidence. It makes sense, come to Buffalo and do well and you're a God, everyone knows your name. Buffalo has a fanbase that has stuck by their team through 17 years of no playoffs and went crazy when they broke that streak. To players like Eric Wood, Kyle Williams, Jordan Phillips, that atmosphere can clearly be exhilarating.

28 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Actually no.  You could easily time AB's contract to be up by the time Allen is up for a big money extension.   And you want Allen to earn that extension by giving him something other than CFL rejects and #5 WR's to throw to.

You can upgrade WR still. What was your plan before the out of nowhere AB news hit? Do that. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts

1 minute ago, thurst44 said:

This doesn't even pass the basic sniff test of logic. Gilmore, and I guess Dareus to a degree (his comments felt a bit man-scorned), have popped off post being here, but most of these guys were traded and let go (and, for crying out loud, Maclin didn't even play here so he fits the original premise anyway).

Your better argument might have been Whitner and a couple others who have been vocal on Twitter, but mostly they were whipping boys and part of me does not blame them.

But let's just say that ALL the players you mentioned left Buffalo in a huff and have been bad mouthing their time here, the fact that some people did not like it here does not mean that many others do. 

But, by all means, self-loathe about the city. I have mixed feelings. I live in NYC. I've thought about coming back to WNY b/c of CoL and sense of community, but ultimately while I'm a Bills fan and lived in Buffalo for many years, NYC is still the home I chose. There are reasons players might not want to come to Buffalo, but you have to admit it's quite the football community, and to suggest that it's crazy to suggest that a lot of players come here and like it seems to be ignoring the evidence. It makes sense, come to Buffalo and do well and you're a God, everyone knows your name. Buffalo has a fanbase that has stuck by their team through 17 years of no playoffs and went crazy when they broke that streak. To players like Eric Wood, Kyle Williams, Jordan Phillips, that atmosphere can clearly be exhilarating.

It doesn't matter how they left, what matters is they left for greener pastures and they don't have nice things to say.  You know that players communicate OFF Twitter, right?

I'm sure Landon Collins is sitting at home right now saying "aw shucks, just because everyone I know says Buffalo sucks, I should still give it a shot! I mean, sure the guy who has nuked his own trade value just publicly embarrassed the city and organization, but whatever. Maybe I'll like it! I know a couple mediocre nobodies like the corpse of Shawn Merriman and Eric Wood who said it wasn't so bad."  LOL.

Just now, TheTruthHurts said:

You can upgrade WR still. What was your plan before the out of nowhere AB news hit? Do that. 

Who is as good as AB that you wanna get?

44 minutes ago, mannc said:

Yolo, no offense, but I'm calling BS on this story.  The Bills had to have had a very good idea how much Brown would be asking for before they opened up serious discussions with Pittsburgh

I don't think they could negotiate with his agent until Pittsburgh okayed it. So they had to agree to a trade in principle first. 

2 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

If we got AB for a 2nd and a 4th rd pick I could see the Steelers being happy with that. 

I wouldn’t rate any WR from this draft as a 1st rd pick so I can understand why Beanie would rather trade for a proven WR. AB on the other hand is a nut case and we already have one of those at the WR position in Zay Jones. I think we dodged a bullet here because I think AB would’ve destroyed team chemistry and I think we would’ve signed him to a large contract and only got 

minimum effort.

One thing about AB since watching him from the beginning, the guy is a gamer, when playing he doesn't know what minimum effort is, when he is on that field he wants everyone to know he's the best player out there. He would have elevated Josh Allens play for sure but the drama could have gotten ugly if he wasn't getting the ball enough which I'm sure that's what you meant. It's a bummer I would have loved to see Brown finish his career here but oh well it's good to see Buffalo has standards that they're going to stick by also.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

How did you feel when Whaley did that to Shady?

I didnt like it...I was happy to get Shady but I didnt like that we had to juice up the pie in order to get him here.

It worked out in the end......I honestly dont think Shady has been the drama queen that this guy has been....that is just my opinion.

Just now, John from Riverside said:

I didnt like it...I was happy to get Shady but I didnt like that we had to juice up the pie in order to get him here.

It worked out in the end......I honestly dont think Shady has been the drama queen that this guy has been....that is just my opinion.

I mean, it might have worked out "in the end" with AB, so what does that mean, really?

The Bills don't need a problem child.  When TO was here, he was a pro....earllier years maybe not so much though.  (TO only here one year)  AB could have turned on Josh Allen in a heartbeat....and the Bills don't need that kind of situation with their new developing QB.  Let the Steelers and Raiders figure it out....the traditional home for bad boys,.

1 minute ago, BringBackOrton said:

I mean, it might have worked out "in the end" with AB, so what does that mean, really?

Brown just has a different feel to him then Shady does.......I thought once he got to our team he was a true professional when it came to football.....Brown is leaving a GOOD OFFENSE with a winning culture and a Frachise QB....and is still complaining.

I totally would have accepted him here if he became a bill because.....well that is what I do :)

50 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

IMO all it takes is one AB to destroy it all.. The locker room could do nothing to stop AB from being a douche to team via the media., See Pittsburgh

I'm not saying it couldn't happen. On the other hand McD runs a tight ship IMO. 

Myself personally, some coaches can handle high maintenance players (emotionally) like AB and some can't.  McD's one of the ones that can IMO.

Both Bell and Brown, two of the best players at their position in the NFL. Both doing everything they can to never play for the steelers again. Ever think the problem might be somewhere else within the organization? Like HC Tomlin for instance?

Edited by Figster

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Brown just has a different feel to him then Shady does.......I thought once he got to our team he was a true professional when it came to football.....Brown is leaving a GOOD OFFENSE with a winning culture and a Frachise QB....and is still complaining.

I totally would have accepted him here if he became a bill because.....well that is what I do :)

LOL that's why you're one in a million.

I for one surely hope that a deal for Brown is dead, dead to the core. I think he's a world class talent but age is not on his side and he just seems like a totally immature spoiled brat. Walk, no .. run away from him as fast as possible. Pure poison. 

Chris Landry a long time NFL scout has a weekly spot here in Atlanta on a radio station. Landry basically said exactly what is happening a few weeks back. Teams just don’t want to give up picks and then have to work out a new deal like Brown is a FA. Brown’s age and personality also get factored in for sure. Kudos to Beane for taking a swing at it. Beane knows about Brown much more than I do. I am sure before Beane engaged in talks he had done some background on what Brown is really like. 

Brown is a tremendous talent no question about it. I had very mixed emotions when I first heard the news Brown could be coming to the Bills. I am going to put this scenario  in the category of things happening(or not happening) for a reason.