Steak, booze and a sense of dull dread: Here's what really happens at the NFL combine

I suppose every GM and scout looks at the combine a little differently.

But I heard one (can't remember which) say that the interviews were the only thing that mattered to him. 

Tape already told him how the guy played.  But the interview gave him insight into how the guy thought - which is something he didn't necessarily know before the combine.  

3 hours ago, MJS said:

Over dramatized fluff piece. Everyone knows that the reason they go is to interview these guys and get together with other GM's. It's clearly valuable.

I feel like its kinda like when you have to go to your National Sales Meeting. Sweet, I get to spend 3 days boozing on the company dime. Yes you do some networking as well. But overall, the 3 day bender and watching 50 year old guys leave their wedding rings in their hotels so they can go home with some 50 year old lady who is doing the same thing, is pretty gross and gets old very quickly. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

I suppose every GM and scout looks at the combine a little differently.

But I heard one (can't remember which) say that the interviews were the only thing that mattered to him. 

Tape already told him how the guy played.  But the interview gave him insight into how the guy thought - which is something he didn't necessarily know before the combine.  

I do think all the information that comes from the combine matter.  The interviews being the obvious one to require a physical presence.  I do think that the majority of how a GM receives information and decides on it, comes from film.  

Let's just take N'Keal Harry for example.  Everywhere, including the schools website has him listed as 6'4".  He measured in just over 6'2.  Metcalf, who's being described as a physical freak benched pressed 225 - 27 times.  So did Harry.  

This is information that while may not override film - is still important to any GM. 

I thought that was a terrific read, and well worth the time. Thanks for posting it.

There's a lot of intriguing stuff about the interview process as well.

While it seems some teams employ professional character evaluators, many (possibly the large majority), don't and are reliant on the GMs and HCs ability to be able to see the wood from the trees, and it appears that many aren't well prepared to actually do that, yet still persist in thinking that they can.

Ultimately, it looks like that a kids success at the combine interviews, is mostly going to be due to how well he can convince teams, that his sole focus in life, is to be a good football player.

The steak and booze I get. (They’re awesome!) I wonder if the dull dread is knowing you have to go back home to NJ to run the Jets and personally pay for the good stuff without an expense account??? Just a guess.......

Edited by Augie

3 hours ago, Turk71 said:

My question is why is it always in Indy? 

On that same track, why do the Lions and Cowboys always play on Thnksgvng? WTF???

Indy? No idea. Is it open to anyone besides teams and media? Not like the draft which is a public event and deserves to be moved around. (As far as I know.) 

Thanksgiving? I don’t know who thinks the Cowboys are really America’s team, but I think the Lions get the game because even Bills fans can feel sorry for them? I think even Browns fans feel the same way! It doesn’t make a great game to watch, but it’s their little Thanksgiving treat - and we get to eat whenever we want, so maybe it’s like putting all of Detroit at the kids table. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Mango said:

I feel like its kinda like when you have to go to your National Sales Meeting. Sweet, I get to spend 3 days boozing on the company dime. Yes you do some networking as well. But overall, the 3 day bender and watching 50 year old guys leave their wedding rings in their hotels so they can go home with some 50 year old lady who is doing the same thing, is pretty gross and gets old very quickly. 

I'm sure Beane and McDermott are all in and focused. I'm sure plenty of other coaches and GM's are as well.

I habe been to Indy twice, both for Bills games and it is an awesome time. St. Elmos is an amazing place and the shrimp with the super spicy cocktail sauce is an adventure you can’t miss! Also I don’t know what it is about that Howl at the Moon but it is a really good time with a ton of single woman!

On 3/7/2019 at 3:43 PM, Turk71 said:

My question is why is it always in Indy? 

On that same track, why do the Lions and Cowboys always play on Thnksgvng? WTF???

Familiarity. Same hospitals for medical evaluations. Personnel staff had made connections locally.

The only reason they would move it if the NFL could make more money off it somewhere else. However, I am sure majority of teams prefer things as they are.

Edited by billieve420

Thing that stuck out for me was this.

"The teams correctly assume that the answers they seek lie hidden inside the players, and yet the combine gives them all just 15-minute interviews amid the circus of other activity. Some teams would rather the entire week be devoted to interviews, along with the invaluable medicals exams. Franchises are forever fumbling in the dark for clues. They all try a forever-changing system of interrogations, mock-therapy sessions and psych evals. A few, like the Colts and the Patriots, have utilized non-football leadership and character experts who are fully integrated into their facility and staff. Most, however, have not.

"When I asked around in Indy, I was told the reason is shockingly simple: many coaches believe their own myth about being leaders of men and experts in the realms of character and motivation. They cannot admit in public that they really don't know much about any of those things. Maybe in every NFL facility there is a person or a group of people who could win games, maybe even The Game, if the people above them could stop preening long enough to listen.

"Since the interviews are where a team stands to gain the most insight, I wondered what it is possible to learn in 15 minutes -- or at least what would be possible if you got a trained professional and didn't leave this up to coaches and general managers. I decided to get a psychological evaluation. A few calls later, I was hooked up with Dana Sinclair, who has done the tests for the Lions, Seahawks and, for years, the Colts. She worked for Dungy and Jim Caldwell, and then she left, and now the team has hired a Green Beret, still looking for different ways to answer the same question."

Yet another way the Pats find to get a small advantage. This isn't Belichick, you can bet, it's their whole brain trust working together and well, and you can bet that Belichick heard it and immediately agreed. There's more in the story about his own evaluation as conducted by a (non-NFL) pro and how very accurate it was.

Damn it.

Why aren't we doing this, next year, if not this year.

Edited by Thurman#1