Bills re-sign Jordan Phillips

1 hour ago, poblano said:

Still lacking another edge rusher, Murphy and Lawson aren't.

Eh.  I'm fine with the guys we have up front.  Lawson looked good last year... maybe he gets better.

If we get another edge rusher, great.

But I don't think we're desperate.

I really do think they need to start working on a Hughes extension, 'cause that guy's still a beast.

• Like (+1) 2

"Buffalo is home".  So we've all been around long enough to know we do a great job as a fanbase of making players feel good.  I know we like to pump our chest about and we often forget this is what players often say when they sign, etc.  

I do find this particular player saying this as something different.  Yes, Buffalo is in fact a great place to play but a player signing a 1 year deal calling it home.  

I think players are onboard with what the Owners, FO and coaches are doing.  I think we're as healthy now as we've been since the super bowl teams began breaking up. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, White Linen said:

"Buffalo is home".  So we've all been around long enough to know we do a great job as a fanbase of making players feel good.  I know we like to pump our chest about and we often forget this is what players often say when they sign, etc.  

I do find this particular player saying this as something different.  Yes, Buffalo is in fact a great place to play but a player signing a 1 year deal calling it home.  

I think players are onboard with what the Owners, FO and coaches are doing.  I think we're as healthy now as we've been since the super bowl teams began breaking up. 

....or.....they put a little name plate on his favorite spot at the bar at Dave & Busters. 

1 hour ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Why the 1 year? Wouldn't you think they'd hope to look past one year? Are they unsure of his long term ability but want to see a full season/off-season?

Possibly they weren't offering the long term.cash he was looking for so opted to take the prove it deal?

Just curious how they didn't end up with more term on this deal.

Phillips could of only wanted a one year deal.. Happens all across the league.  

• Like (+1) 1

Happy it’s a one year deal. He is a decent rotation guy but not someone I’m eager to give a long term deal to just yet.

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Eh.  I'm fine with the guys we have up front.  Lawson looked good last year... maybe he gets better.

If we get another edge rusher, great.

But I don't think we're desperate.

I really do think they need to start working on a Hughes extension, 'cause that guy's still a beast.

I wouldn’t be fine with who we have up front. Hughes is literally the only guy we have that can create pressure consistently.

Lawson had his best season yet but he still offers little in terms of pass rush ability. Murphy is still a walking injury. We desperately need help on the d-line.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Happy it’s a one year deal. He is a decent rotation guy but not someone I’m eager to give a long term deal to just yet.

I wouldn’t be fine with who we have up front. Hughes is literally the only guy we have that can create pressure consistently.

Lawson had his best season yet but he still offers little in terms of pass ish ability. Murphy is still a walking injury. We desperately need help on the d-line.

Yep. Lorax is almost certain to decline, Murphy is always injured, Kyle is gone, and Lawson has never been much of a pass rusher. Hughes is the only guy I have much faith in to get to the QB and that's not nearly enough.

This is obviously a great signing as it's a one year deal and Phillips has shown he can play, but the Bills can't rest on their laurels at the most important defensive unit.

Edited by BillsSB2020

11 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Phillips could of only wanted a one year deal.. Happens all across the league.  

Yes it does but not generally when a player re-signs with the same team, no? Normally it's a prove-it type deal through free agency while switching teams or rebounding from an injury. 

7 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Yes it does but not generally when a player re-signs with the same team, no? Normally it's a prove-it type deal through free agency while switching teams or rebounding from an injury. 

I think the Phillips situation is kind of unique. He was pretty good for us, but I think he is still in a prove it type of situation. A 1 year deal gives him a chance to prove that his small sample was not a fluke and he likely knew he would not get a much better offer on the open market. I think the depth at defensive line in this year's draft is going to hurt defensive tackles on the free agent market. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

12 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

He came to the Bills late.. This one year deal is a prove it deal

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think the Phillips situation is kind of unique. He was pretty good for us, but I think he is still in a prove it type of situation. A 1 year deal lets gives him a chance to prove that his small sample was not a fluke and he likely knew he would not get a much better offer on the open market. I think the depth at defensive line in this year's draft is going to hurt defensive tackle on the free agent market. 

That's an interesting point.

I figured that the front office would offer themselves some protection against losing him the following year in the case that he does produce well. This deal is essentially a one-year rental. Maybe I'm biased because I think he has the potential to develop into a better than average DT...but they have the money to spend, so I was expecting an incentive based contract with possibly 2-3 years. This would allow them to bail if they aren't sold on him for a long term contract while guaranteeing his rights if he does in fact come on strong. 

Either way, it's surprising giving the comments from both Phillips and Beane regarding the situation.