Justin Houston available via trade

FluffHead

@RapSheet: Sources: The #Chiefs have had trade talks centered around star pass-rusher Justin Houston. With Houston’s cap number and the potential to franchise tag Dee Ford, Houston appears to be a rare top pass-rusher available. Teams have been calling with real interest.

Houston fits any system.  He sets the edge very well....rushes the passer very well...and is above average in coverage...though you'd rather not have him doing that when he does other things better.  

KC will release him if no trade partner can be found....and the whole thing is about the cap and contract....by releasing Houston, KC saves 14 million in cap space and takes a 7 million hit.  Any team that would trade for Houston would be on the hook for his salary this year wich is high, at 21 million, but he has no more guaranteed money left on the deal...so lets say you as Buffalo make a deal.....you pay a high price now....wich you and your massive cap space, can absorb...and if he doesn't work out, you can cut with no cap hit next year...or you like him, and he costs you 21 mil in 19 and 19 mill in 2020.  Good overall player...not just a pass rusher....has been injury prone but was mostly healthy finaly last year and he had a very strong season.  

As a Chiefs fan...I'd love to keep him, but our roster construction and cap at this time doens't allow it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Hmm. Could be interesting, but this team is not a pass rusher away from contention. They need serious investment on offense. Now, if we have a good free agency and draft and Houston is still available and we still have cap room, then I would think about it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Zerovotlz said:

Houston fits any system.  He sets the edge very well....rushes the passer very well...and is above average in coverage...though you'd rather not have him doing that when he does other things better.  

KC will release him if no trade partner can be found....and the whole thing is about the cap and contract....by releasing Houston, KC saves 14 million in cap space and takes a 7 million hit.  Any team that would trade for Houston would be on the hook for his salary this year wich is high, at 21 million, but he has no more guaranteed money left on the deal...so lets say you as Buffalo make a deal.....you pay a high price now....wich you and your massive cap space, can absorb...and if he doesn't work out, you can cut with no cap hit next year...or you like him, and he costs you 21 mil in 19 and 19 mill in 2020.  Good overall player...not just a pass rusher....has been injury prone but was mostly healthy finaly last year and he had a very strong season.  

As a Chiefs fan...I'd love to keep him, but our roster construction and cap at this time doens't allow it.

I feel like Trent Murphy at his salary would be a great replacement for Houston.  Houston for Murphy and we will throw in a 5th.  Have your people talk to my people plus you owe us for Mahomes. ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He’s a stud and I can’t believe he’s only 30 (he looks at least 40).  I feel like this is a move a SB contender makes because pass rushers can fall off a cliff real fast.  But definitely worth a feeler to see what it would take.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that he is 30 I honestly thought he was closer to 40 too.

Whenever I see a guy go down and then his replacement come in and do pretty much the same thing it makes me wonder of its the player or the scheme...do they get him a lot of favorable matchups with backs and TEs trying to block him? Dee Ford stepped in and pretty much hasn't missed a beat. Reminds me of Bell and Connor in Pittsburgh...

Is another team going to get him and then wonder why he isn't the same player, because he isn't getting the same matchup?

11 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

I'm no contract wiz, and not that I think this is a good fit, but signing and restructure bonuses are KC's hit, correct? So the team that trades for him is only liable for salary and workout bonus, which would be "only" $15.5 mil in 2019 and $17.5 mil in 2020 (with no 2020 cap hit if we released him after one year)?

Houston is a good player who has had trouble staying healthy. I am not sure Beane is going to trade any assets for a player going into his 9th or 10th year with a huge contract. After the two years left on his contract he may retire. I dont see that as building for the future. Assuming Grady Jarrett stays with the Falcons I would like to see the Bills try to sign Zadarius Smith or Preston Smith. If they want a short term vet then Brandon Graham would work. 

11 hours ago, bourbonboy said:

I'm no contract wiz, and not that I think this is a good fit, but signing and restructure bonuses are KC's hit, correct? So the team that trades for him is only liable for salary and workout bonus, which would be "only" $15.5 mil in 2019 and $17.5 mil in 2020 (with no 2020 cap hit if we released him after one year)?

You are correct...I failed to subtract those out.

Heard from a friend in the know that KC wants to rid themselves of Houston because of character issues.  “Locker room cancer” and “plays when he wants to play” were the two things said.  This isn’t first hand information but it make sense.