Calling it now: Zay Jones will not be on the week 1 roster.

Alphadawg7

1 hour ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Can’t believe people are agreeing with this silly take lol

Its the offseason. 

I guess the other 2, 4, or 5 Zay is a bust threads didn't discuss this enough.  

Was Zay EVER supposed to be the # 1 or just a cog int he wheel. 

This is year 3. (the average life span of a NFL player) I'll pass judgement after the season. 

45 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

I’m not saying cut the guy but despite some ok touchdown numbers from last year he was still wildly inconsistent and drop prone. He has no one special quality for a wideout. Make or break year.

Yes He's drop passes.   

Believe it or not no WR is 100% on catching balls. 

Zay "may suck", but as it was discussed in last seasons Zay sucks threads he was still the leading WR on the team with catches and yards.  

I tend to agree with the OP. Zay Jones to the Chargers for Forrest Lamp and a pick. 

This reunites Zay with Phil McGeoghan and it allows the Chargers to replace Tyrell Williams with a cheaper guy. We get a nice guard prospect, who would be a top 1-2 interior player in this draft. Chargers throw in a pick because we are assuming some risk as Lamp has barely played since he was drafted. 

I think it's a win-win for both teams. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Hands:  Struggles catching the ball.  Makes easy catches look hard and drops too many passes.

I agree year 1 was a disaster .. I also agree year 2 that a lot of stats were in garbage time .. but the kid had 399 catches at ECU ... not sure how that occurs if one struggles catching the ball ... I think he is overthinking things when his number is called and needs to breathe through his eyelids and let his natural talent take over.  I look forward to his Year 3 (and year 2 with Josh).

15 hours ago, Flip Johnson said:

The Bills need WRs. 

They have a 23yr old that they invested a 2nd round pick in.

He is cost-controlled.

He more than doubled his catches in year 2.

There is zero chance he gets cut this year.

Preach Flip

11 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

3) was Moulds’ 1995 season the most dominant receiving season in Bills’ history?

You meant 1998, I assume.  Answer: yes.  He was an absolute beast.  Go watch highlights of the “just give it to ‘em” game.  Unstoppable.

2 hours ago, GreggTX said:

McDermott did not scout, grade or draft Jones or anyone else that offseason. That's not his job, but sure, he's consulted. I'm amazed that some folks are so confused about this. Also, if your contention that McDermott won't release a player he ordered either Whaley or Beane to sign because he's too vain to admit that he made a mistake is true, then Kelvin Benjaman would still be on our roster. I apologize if that comes off as brash. I just disagree with the comment you made.

Astro made the same point upthread, and it’s a fair one.  But Benjamin was such an obvious turd that he just HAD to go.  

If Jones gets cut, it will be because we have significantly upgraded the WR room, which would be great news.

23 minutes ago, WideRightRevenge said:

I agree year 1 was a disaster .. I also agree year 2 that a lot of stats were in garbage time .. but the kid had 399 catches at ECU ... not sure how that occurs if one struggles catching the ball ... I think he is overthinking things when his number is called and needs to breathe through his eyelids and let his natural talent take over.  I look forward to his Year 3 (and year 2 with Josh).

according to some 

garbage time was nearly every game.,

16 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I disagree mostly because he drafted him and those guys always get more timeI think he will get more chances for that reason. I also think that McD knows that the QB situation hasn’t been ideal for a developing WR. In addition, he’s shown the ability to make plays have big games, he hasn’t been a complete no show. I believe that he will get his full rookie contract to prove himself and the Bills will make a decision on him at that point. 

The first line is most important- guys like NFL head coaches need to be proven wrong after they make a decision and Zay has not been proven bad- even though he is a long way from proven good. Also i do not think we will have 5 better recievers this year on roster and he is not a huge salary.

7 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

For those who called out for a look at 

Michael Crabtree or Pierre Garcon

their catch rate is worse that Zay's 

Garcon, yes. Crabtree, not really. If you look at their pages on PlayerProfiler.com, they weed out uncatchable targets and then look at the catch rate after the fact. Zay improved from 57.4% (which was basically the worst in the NFL) to 71.8%. Crabtree was at 75% this year (up from just under 70% the year before).

As for the OP, I personally think he SHOULD be on the roster bubble this year; we'll see how the offseason goes though. I'd like to see them add 3 legitimate WRs to the roster (along with a bunch of likely training camp fodder types) and make Zay earn his spot, but I'm not entirely sure we'll do that.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I tend to agree with the OP. Zay Jones to the Chargers for Forrest Lamp and a pick. 

This reunites Zay with Phil McGeoghan and it allows the Chargers to replace Tyrell Williams with a cheaper guy. We get a nice guard prospect, who would be a top 1-2 interior player in this draft. Chargers throw in a pick because we are assuming some risk as Lamp has barely played since he was drafted. 

I think it's a win-win for both teams. 

Depends whether you project Jonah as a guard or a tackle..... but he is the only potential interior guy I have a higher grade on than I had on Lamp coming out. If you categorise Jonah as a tackle then I have no interior guys in this draft graded as highly as I had Lamp two years ago. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Depends whether you project Jonah as a guard or a tackle..... but he is the only potential interior guy I have a higher grade on than I had on Lamp coming out. If you categorise Jonah as a tackle then I have no interior guys in this draft graded as highly as I had Lamp two years ago. 

Would you do that trade Gunner? 

6 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Would you do that trade Gunner? 

Yes.... although I still want them to go after one of the top FA guards too (ideally Spain) and then with Spain, Long (who is a serviceable G and a poor C in my view), Teller and Lamp you have a strong stable of guards to compete in camp. You pencil Spain in as the starter at LG and you let the other three battle it out. 

• Like (+1) 1

hot take but I like the discussion. Seriously doubt he gets cut, at the worst I'm sure he beats out Duke if they're having a battle in preseason. We oughta keep 5 WRs on deck and not seeing us with 4 new WRs without Foster. 

We've already cleaned house at WR, there's plenty of room for new ones. I think McDermott's rhetoric is rationalizing why he'd keep 2 returning WRs, not one. Not to mention he's clearly talking about receiving options at TE and possibly RB as well. 

I'd give serious pause to cut Zay, and I've been a big critic myself. But I really want to see our WR under a rookie deal drafted get a 3rd before making a snap decision. That's typically when WRs show their chops if they aren't performing to draft status, or when they can be written off. A few of the attributes you listed (I can only think of hands right now - most important for me) seems like the sort of WR we thought we were drafting. If Zay does indeed improve much closer to what his draft day potential indicated in year 3, then he should significantly improve as a possession WR.

That's been his biggest struggle. Being a WR drafted for his hands and being so prolific in college and completely losing that key attribute he was drafted for. And he got a bit better but certainly still ticks me off with drops.

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

For those who called out for a look at 

Michael Crabtree or Pierre Garcon

their catch rate is worse that Zay's 

Catch rates are always lower for guys who run deeper routes (and Christ, RBs usually have catch rates between 75 and 80 percent). Jones doesn't run many deep routes. 

• Like (+1) 1