Calling it now: Zay Jones will not be on the week 1 roster.

Alphadawg7

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

That has nothing to do with the the true catch rate though. The true catch rate is only considering the percentage of those 76.5% and the percentage of those 63.5% of passes that he caught. So for example, he had 74 targets in 2017. 27 were deemed uncatchable, leaving 47 that were catchable. He caught 27 of those 47, for a pathetic percentage of 57.4%. That improved to 71.8% this year (which is still bad, but at least not ungodly terrible).

which was my point.

The Tyrod Taylor suckitude in the passing game didn't help the (then) rookie 

I almost wanna give the kid a mulligan on his rookie season considering he was in an offense that wanted to run, run and then run some more coupled with a QB who was always quite hesitant to really push the ball downfield. That has to be taken into account. It's not all just, "Oh, Zay is horrible and it's 100% his fault and his fault alone." He's had two different OC's, this season he will be with his third different WR's coach, and he's had Taylor, Peterman, Allen, Anderson, and Barkley, five different QBs he's had to try and get on the same page with. That stuff counts. I mean, sure, at the end of the day it's on him to reach his potential but he has no control over who's gonna be coaching him and who's gonna be throwing him the ball. 

If this kid had been taken in the third round we wouldn't be having these conversations. But apparently, if you're drafted within the top 40 picks YOU BETTER BE AN ALL-PRO BY THE SECOND YOU SET FOOT IN THIS BUILDING, DAPGUMMIT! Or you'll feel the wrath of TWO....BILLS.... DRIVE!!!!!! /s

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

I almost wanna give the kid a mulligan on his rookie season considering he was in an offense that wanted to run, run and then run some more coupled with a QB who was always quite hesitant to really push the ball downfield. That has to be taken into account. It's not all just, "Oh, Zay is horrible and it's 100% his fault and his fault alone." He's had two different OC's, this season he will be with his third different WR's coach, and he's had Taylor, Peterman, Allen, Anderson, and Barkley, five different QBs he's had to try and get on the same page with. That stuff counts. I mean, sure, at the end of the day it's on him to reach his potential but he has no control over who's gonna be coaching him and who's gonna be throwing him the ball. 

If this kid had been taken in the third round we wouldn't be having these conversations. But apparently, if you're drafted within the top 40 picks YOU BETTER BE AN ALL-PRO BY THE SECOND YOU SET FOOT IN THIS BUILDING, DAPGUMMIT! Or you'll feel the wrath of TWO....BILLS.... DRIVE!!!!!! /s

If he was drafted in the first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh round, UDFA or taken in the 17th round of the MLB draft, posters would B word the same about the number of dropped passes right in his hands in his rookie year, which had very little to do with the offense, Tyrod, or anything. 

7 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

If he was drafted in the first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh round, UDFA or taken in the 17th round of the MLB draft, posters would B word the same about the number of dropped passes right in his hands in his rookie year, which had very little to do with the offense, Tyrod, or anything. 

I heard you drop a lot of passes, fella.

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

According to my sources, you are dog... and your ability to use a computer and discuss football and football-related topics is, quite frankly, astounding.

I’m assuming you’re making an attempt at humor. Nice try. If not, knock it off, blacklist..

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This is my whole thing with him...the tape doesn't lie, stats lie in the NFL, but the tape doesn't.  He left a LOT of plays on the field, way more than you want to see from a starting WR.   

Zay's stats are INCREDIBLY misleading. Tyrod/JA had to throw the ball to someone and Jones was the beneficiary of an atrocious WR group. He doesn't beat press coverage. He's EASILY smothered on go routes. He has not demonstrated the ability to routinely catch the football. He will never be able to win a go route. If he can't figure out how to beat PC and get his confidence up WRT catching the ball, he really doesn't have a place in the league.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 2/27/2019 at 2:46 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

Calling it now: Zay Jones will not be on the week 1 roster.

I could be wrong, but this is just what I believe based on the additions I expect Beane to make in the WR room.  I have no issues if others don't agree, just my opinion on the matter, nothing more.......................................................................

also calling it myself now. Jones is a lock for the 53 all year barring injury.

Edited by cba fan
  • Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’m assuming you’re making an attempt at humor. Nice try. If not, knock it off, blacklist..

You could at least get my name right. And yes, it was humor. I don't take anything on this board seriously, just trying to have fun.

I respect the OP and the notion the author puts forward. I also respectfully disagree.

Zay Jones was the Bills' leading receiver last year. The light seemed to turn on as the season progressed. In the last two games of the season, he had 5 catches for 67 yards and 1 TD one week, then 6 catches for 93 yards and 2 TDs the following week. 

In addition to the fact that Jones seemed to come on at the end of the year and seemed to be developing chemistry with Josh Allen, he is also cheap labor for an offense desperate for playmakers. To release him for really ANY reason would make no sense to me. Even if you've decided he'll never be better than an 800 yards per year guy, that's still a useful player for an offense that is currently bereft of them.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

This thread is stupid. He has a $1.8M cap hit, he was drafted by this regime, he put together a few good games, and has two years left on his rookie deal.

He's not getting cut.

Maybe read the OP at the very least or some comments.  Never was it said he will be cut, the prediction was a trade based on presumed expected upgrades at WR during FA and Draft.  

Its fine to disagree, your not the only one, but calling threads stupid you didn’t read is...well...stupid.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Maybe read the OP at the very least or some comments.  Never was it said he will be cut, the prediction was a trade based on presumed expected upgrades at WR during FA and Draft.  

Its fine to disagree, your not the only one, but calling threads stupid you didn’t read is...well...stupid.  

Cool, so you think we're going to trade a young WR on a rookie contract when we need WR's worse than any other team in the NFL?

And your justification for this is that we're going to trade / draft / sign a bunch of other guys at WR that will make him expendable...

So ... RATHER THAN JUST KEEP THE GUY THAT YOU DRAFTED ... you think we can get BETTER VALUE from Free Agency, where NOBODY wants to come to Buffalo?

Or, do you think that other teams are just willing to give up BETTER VALUE in draft picks to acquire him than what it would take to DRAFT A REPLACEMENT?

If you don't believe either of these things to be true, why would you give up the value that we currently have in Zay Jones and DOWNGRADE VALUE?

I hope you understand the flaws in your argument ... but if you don't ... I'm quitting this thread anyway.

Edited by Rigotz
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

I hope we kick the tires on John Ross. If it's a mid round pick I'll bring him in. He was incredibly mismatched with Dalton. Put his 4.2 speed here with Josh Allen and it changes how defenses play us.

I also want us to sign Adam Humphries. Just a reliable underneath guy for Josh Allen to have. You add Ross and Humphries with Jones, Foster, Williams(jury is out) it's the beginning of a pretty good WR corp for our young QB and all of them are on peanuts. 

Edited by FeelingOnYouboty
  • Like (+1) 2

Calling it now, (which technically is later)  Zay Jones will be on the opening day roster. 

He fought for Jesus man! You don’t trade that...

Also he’s continuing to get better. Based on progression he might be 1000 yd WR this year. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Calling it now, (which technically is later)  Zay Jones will be on the opening day roster. 

He fought for Jesus man! You don’t trade that...

Also he’s continuing to get better. Based on progression he might be 1000 yd WR this year. 

+1