Buffalo86

Which non-Bills draft pick stung the most?

I don’t always take anti-depressants, but when I do, I prefer to take them after reading threads like this :bag:;)

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

Roethlisberger

Oh, jeez. Don't remind me. That hurt.

Taking Maybin, over just about anyone - although Orakpo was still on the board.

When it was obvious we were going to go RB (again) in the 1st round, I seriously would rather we had traded up for Peterson, or traded a 2nd rounder for the guy who spelled LT in San Diego. Lynch was by no means a bad player, but either of the other options would have been better value, imho. AP was head and shoulders above anyone else in that draft.

Passing over Gronk was also annoying. The Bills and TEs don't seem to work well together any more, whether it's drafting them, or FAs. We probably have a better chance in FA tbh.

Mahomes, not because I knew he was going to be a stud, but because I think it was a chickenshit move. McDermott waiting until Beane got here before drafting a QB with serious talent. Poor management and decision making imho, and might have slowed the franchises latest attempt to become a consistent contender, by a year or two.

Patrick Willis was the one dude I thought for sure was going to be great and was going to fall to us

He goes pick 11, we get Marshawn at 12.

Reading the thread, I’ve come to the conclusion that Gronk is the Bills’ Kylo Ren.

• Haha (+1) 1

Arron Maybin . . . anyone else in the next 5 rounds would have been a better pick.

• Haha (+1) 1

In 2008, the Bills had Pick #11.  They chose Leotis Mc Kelvin.  The Bills were as usual, in desperate need of blocking and went for a db. Par for the course of stupidity.

The next player selected  was LT Ryan Clady. The truth is that I didn't know much about him. I was screaming for Branden Albert, and was under the impression that he would be an all time great guard. Well not only was he a great guard, he actually made the rare transition of moving from guard to left tackle and was highly successful there as well.

In 2003, the Bills once again had a horrible offensive line and picked at #23. I was hoping for Eric Steinbach, a totally solid guard. The Bills chose Willis Magahee. He was a good player but the Bills had to wait a full season plus 4 games to see him due to  a very serious injury. That's right.....20 games. Steinbach was taken with the 1st pick in round 2 by the Bengals and was an excellent left guard for years.

There is no way that a fan like me should ever be better at drafting players than an NFL GM. Not ever and it happened year after freaking year. Teenage kids with a copy of NFL Weekly could select better players than the Bills drafted.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Skeptical 1

7 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

In 2008, the Bills had Pick #11.  They chose Leotis Mc Kelvin.  The Bills were as usual, in desperate need of blocking and went for a db. Par for the course of stupidity.

The next player selected  was LT Ryan Clady. The truth is that I didn't know much about him. I was screaming for Branden Albert, and was under the impression that he would be an all time great guard. Well not only was he a great guard, he actually made the rare transition of moving from guard to left tackle and was highly successful there as well.

There is no way that a fan like me should ever be better at drafting players than an NFL GM. Not ever and it happened year after freaking year. Teenage kids with a copy of NFL Weekly could select better players than the Bills drafted.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. 

• Thanks! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, CSBill said:

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. 

If you want to get a little more depressed, read the edit. :)

10 hours ago, Mango said:

It’s weird that Mahommes isn’t mentioned more due to a bunch of things:

- It’s the most important position in football

- Dude looks like a stud

-He was literally picked with the Bills draft pick.

- They traded away said draft pick with Mahommes still on the board.  

-Regency biased.

- Literally every other single player listed doesn’t make the Bills roster nearly as improved as Mahommes does. 

- We could have used the increased draft capital in 2018 to build a better roster than we have now, rather than spending said capital on Allen and Edmunds.

People get butt hurt and then those who mentionen it get attacked.

• Thanks! (+1) 1

Russel Wilson right after the Bills traded up to take TJ Graham.

Fat Mike over McKinnie or Freeney.

Though the Whitner and Maybin ones also sting

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Buffalo86 said:

Yes, hard to think of a worse pick than Maybin. 

Mike Williams was worse.  Orakpo was a decent player, had a good career, but the Bills didn't miss out on much there either.

Passing on Haloti Ngata for Donte Whitner was the Billsy'est move that I can remember.  Marv was a horrible GM!

• Like (+1) 1

The JP Losmen trade causing us to miss out on drafting Rodgers the next year   

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Oh, jeez. Don't remind me. That hurt.

Big Ben does not bother me....I know the Bills did everything in their power to trade with the Jags @9 to jump the Steelers     of course we could always complain about how late season meaningless victories actually do more harm to a teams long term success    

11 hours ago, WizdomCalling said:

Passing over Tom Brady 6 times In the 2000 Draft.

Some1 had to say it.

But other than the obvious ...

There are so many I wish we would have selected

Orakpo, Ngata, Patrick Willis, Gronk, Odell Beckham, Adrian Peterson (yes we got Lynch that year but AP was a monster!) The list goes on and on. I am now depressed.i kid. LoL 😂

No, NO ONE had to say it.

Seriously? This is your list? 

So many ppl say Mahomes, but that’s a hindsight pick, not many ppl thought he was going to be as good as he is. I could pick a 100 players I wish we could have had after we found out how good they were in the league. That being said, Luke Kuechly was the pick I was crossing my fingers for and clenching during every pick announcement. That’s the one I remember really letting me down, watching him get picked right before us.

13 hours ago, Buffalo86 said:

Which non-Bills' pick stung you the most on draft day?  Was it a player you really wanted, taken one spot before us?  A seemingly great pick by the Jets or Dolphins?  A guy from your alma mater, snatched up by the Patriots in the middle of the day?  A Long-Snapper who broke your heart?

My #1 has to be the Panthers taking Kuechly @ 9 in '12, just one pick before us.  A lot of mocks had us taking Mark Barron, so I was relieved when the Bucs picked him.  My relief was soon replaced with horror at the announcement of the Panthers' pick.  Remember that Christmas Eve '11, 40-14 beatdown of the Tebow/McGahee Broncos?  It made the holiday that much more enjoyable for many of us... but it came with a price.

Honorable mention to the Patriots fielding a ~75% Rutgers secondary for the past 6 years.

He was taken before us so it doesnt bother me as much as taking Whitner over Ngata.

• Like (+1) 1

Big Ben, then Wilson, then Mahomes.

4 minutes ago, Codyny13 said:

So many ppl say Mahomes, but that’s a hindsight pick, not many ppl thought he was going to be as good as he is. I could pick a 100 players I wish we could have had after we found out how good they were in the league. That being said, Luke Kuechly was the pick I was crossing my fingers for and clenching during every pick announcement. That’s the one I remember really letting me down, watching him get picked right before us.

There were a lot here that really wanted to draft him.  It's not a hindsight pick.

Edited by Chuck Wagon
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Big Ben, then Wilson, then Mahomes.

There were a lot here that really wanted to draft him.  It's not a hindsight pick.

You can disagree if you’d like, np, I’m sure some people did, there’s also plenty of ppl that never watched a single Texas Tech game, see how good he is now and say how bad it hurts, but how many people went into the draft saying the one guy I want in this draft is Pat Mahomes.

Julius Peppers!!!!!! We won a meaningless game against the Panthers in 01 that netted us Mike Williams.

10 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Russell Wilson

he was shocked the Bills did not pick him as well

Gronk. I was sitting next to his buddies at the draft and they were pissed too. We drafted Terell Troup....