Jump to content
PromoTheRobot

The AAF Thread

Recommended Posts

I won’t watch a single play. It is a low level CFL (and we don’t have a CFL sub forum). It will never see season 2. People just aren’t interested in minor league sports. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I won’t watch a single play. It is a low level CFL (and we don’t have a CFL sub forum). It will never see season 2. People just aren’t interested in minor league sports

Maybe you mean people just aren't interested in minor league football.

 

There's tons of interest in minor league sports from local fans. Baseball, hockey, and whatnot.

 

The AAF is capitalizing on the local interest by assigning players to teams mostly based on region. For instance, the San Diego team has a bunch of SoCal players. Football fans watch a ton of college football and now many of their school's former players will be in the AAF after they didn't quite make it in the NFL. 

 

This league seems to be doing it right by trying to set up a symbiotic relationship with the NCAA and the NFL, as opposed to what the XFL has done.

 

The AAF will definitely last more than 1 season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Maybe you mean people just aren't interested in minor league football.

 

There's tons of interest in minor league sports from local fans. Baseball, hockey, and whatnot.

 

The AAF is capitalizing on the local interest by assigning players to teams mostly based on region. For instance, the San Diego team has a bunch of SoCal players. Football fans watch a ton of college football and now many of their school's former players will be in the AAF after they didn't quite make it in the NFL. 

 

This league seems to be doing it right by trying to set up a symbiotic relationship with the NCAA and the NFL, as opposed to what the XFL has done.

 

The AAF will definitely last more than 1 season.

We will see. Lots of places have tried it and it failed. San Diego didn’t support the Chargers I don’t see them falling over themselves for the minor league version. I’m sticking with the o/u of a year. People keep trying these leagues and they keep failing. I expect more of the same.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

 

I believe Birmingham is somehow associated with the Bills.  Gets first pick of Bills and all AFC East players.  

Is this true? If so count me in as a Birmingham Fan.

 

Never mind. They will be my team even if it isn't true. :)

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Is this true? If so count me in as a Birmingham Fan.

 

Never mind. They will be my team even if it isn't true. :)

I don't think so. It's mostly based on the player's college and there was also a draft to mix around the better players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the idea of a general AAF thread. Not sure how much I will pay attention but will be a good place to discuss it anything interesting that happens. Is this the league that Bill Polian is involved in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

We will see. Lots of places have tried it and it failed. San Diego didn’t support the Chargers I don’t see them falling over themselves for the minor league version. I’m sticking with the o/u of a year. People keep trying these leagues and they keep failing. I expect more of the same.

 

 

Take the over. Almost everyone behind this league are former NFL FO and players. Bill Polian is co-founder and played a major roll. Charlie Ebersol is an experienced TV producer who's worked with the NFL and ESPN. They have partnerships with CBS, CBS SN, NFL Network, and TNT. Ebersol actually produced the 30 for 30 on why the original XFL failed, lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Take the over. Almost everyone behind this league are former NFL FO and players. Bill Polian is co-founder and played a major roll. Charlie Ebersol is an experienced TV producer who's worked with the NFL and ESPN. They have partnerships with CBS, CBS SN, NFL Network, and TNT. Ebersol actually produced the 30 for 30 on why the original XFL failed, lol. 

I know all of that but think I’m a decent litmus rest. I’m a MASSIVE sports fan. I follow everything and watch games daily, all year. I work in an office of 115 people and am comfortable in saying that I am the biggest sports fan in the office. With that being said, I don’t know when this league starts, I don’t know who is playing or where the teams are (and don’t care). If someone with my level of passion doesn’t care I have a hard time believing that they can build a sustainable league. They 1,000% need people like me committed but beyond that they probably need another 10% of that 115 person sample size. This is a group filled with SEC alums and NFL season ticket holders. These are football people, in football country and no one cares. I’m going to let it play out and I hope I’m wrong. I just don’t see any interest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Living just outside of Memphis,  I've got tix for the first Memphis Express game. Meeting up with friends at the Liberty Bowl to tailgate early.  We'll have the wings going! 2 more months of football,  league run by Bill Polian and CBS bought the broadcast rights. Should be fun. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I plan on watching, and hopefully making the trip from Houston to San Antonio for a Commanders game. I'm a huge fan of University of Houston football, and they have first dibs on former UH players. There's six guys that I watched play in college on the team. Also, Cyril Richardson plays there too. 

 

XFL is coming to Houston next year. I'll probably attend a game or two just to check out the action. But they're taking the wrong path. AAF is trying to be a developmental league, hoping to get an affilation, or at least an endorsement for the NFL. When a player gets plucked from their rosters and signed to an NFL contract, it's all over the team/league social media, congratulating them and wishing them nothing but the best. 

 

XFL is attempting to draw fans away from the NFL it seems. They're probably gonna sign some big names that have faded out. IE, Johnny Manziel. I wouldn't be surprised if TO gets signed to the XFL. He might not even play much. But he shows up, signs autographs, and takes five snaps a game, he earns his paycheck. I've read rumors there's gonna be an exclusivity clause that won't allow XFL players to leave if an NFL team calls. Also a stipulation that all players will stand for the anthem, so it's pretty obvious what they're trying to do there.

14 hours ago, CowgirlsFan said:

I'll take a look from time to time to the San Antonio team.

I believe they have first crack at former Cowboys. They definitely have first crack at all the major NCAA teams in Texas.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I like the idea of a general AAF thread. Not sure how much I will pay attention but will be a good place to discuss it anything interesting that happens. Is this the league that Bill Polian is involved in?

 

Yes it is.

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I know all of that but think I’m a decent litmus rest. I’m a MASSIVE sports fan. I follow everything and watch games daily, all year. I work in an office of 115 people and am comfortable in saying that I am the biggest sports fan in the office. With that being said, I don’t know when this league starts, I don’t know who is playing or where the teams are (and don’t care). If someone with my level of passion doesn’t care I have a hard time believing that they can build a sustainable league. They 1,000% need people like me committed but beyond that they probably need another 10% of that 115 person sample size. This is a group filled with SEC alums and NFL season ticket holders. These are football people, in football country and no one cares. I’m going to let it play out and I hope I’m wrong. I just don’t see any interest. 

 

I don't expect rabid support for this league but the developmental angle makes them something worth keeping an eye on. In time it may become another player pipeline to the NFL. And personally, I like football enough that I'd watch this over some MLB game.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I don't think so. It's mostly based on the player's college and there was also a draft to mix around the better players.

 

Its based around their college and also recently cut players are assigned to certain teams. Birmingham will have all recently cut Bills, Patriots, Steelers, and Browns players

 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham_Iron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not going to watch the AAF. But I will

watch the Sh#t show that will be the XFL next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No Brady, No Belickick, no cheatin patriots, what's not to like ? ... Hopefully it won't be a league that tries to force a player/team down your throats like the NFL does.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW I believe all the former Bills are on the Birmingham Iron due to the AAF team structuring process. So if there is a team to show any interest in then it's probably them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll check it out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's got a better shot at being a true "minor league" team for the NFL than the XFL.  The NFL needs a true development league for both players and coaches.  

 

If I were the AAF, I wouldn't resist being the feeder league to the NFL at all.  I think it could attract a lot of high potential/needs seasoning young talent, some current players who are "finds" like Lorenzo Alexander was for the Bills and perhaps some ex-players wanting to play again. It could also be a fertile ground for coaching talent as well going forward, not beholden to "coaching trees" and retreads.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Until the NFL gets true farm teams for each club these leagues will never work.

 

 

 

I don't think you need one minor team per NFL team. It's not like hockey or baseball, where you have entire rosters of development players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...