The AAF Thread

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I like the idea of a general AAF thread. Not sure how much I will pay attention but will be a good place to discuss it anything interesting that happens. Is this the league that Bill Polian is involved in?

Yes it is.

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I know all of that but think I’m a decent litmus rest. I’m a MASSIVE sports fan. I follow everything and watch games daily, all year. I work in an office of 115 people and am comfortable in saying that I am the biggest sports fan in the office. With that being said, I don’t know when this league starts, I don’t know who is playing or where the teams are (and don’t care). If someone with my level of passion doesn’t care I have a hard time believing that they can build a sustainable league. They 1,000% need people like me committed but beyond that they probably need another 10% of that 115 person sample size. This is a group filled with SEC alums and NFL season ticket holders. These are football people, in football country and no one cares. I’m going to let it play out and I hope I’m wrong. I just don’t see any interest. 

I don't expect rabid support for this league but the developmental angle makes them something worth keeping an eye on. In time it may become another player pipeline to the NFL. And personally, I like football enough that I'd watch this over some MLB game.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I don't think so. It's mostly based on the player's college and there was also a draft to mix around the better players.

Its based around their college and also recently cut players are assigned to certain teams. Birmingham will have all recently cut Bills, Patriots, Steelers, and Browns players

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham_Iron

I think it's got a better shot at being a true "minor league" team for the NFL than the XFL.  The NFL needs a true development league for both players and coaches.  

If I were the AAF, I wouldn't resist being the feeder league to the NFL at all.  I think it could attract a lot of high potential/needs seasoning young talent, some current players who are "finds" like Lorenzo Alexander was for the Bills and perhaps some ex-players wanting to play again. It could also be a fertile ground for coaching talent as well going forward, not beholden to "coaching trees" and retreads.  

17 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Until the NFL gets true farm teams for each club these leagues will never work.

I don't think you need one minor team per NFL team. It's not like hockey or baseball, where you have entire rosters of development players.

26 minutes ago, Philo Beddoe said:

FWIW I believe all the former Bills are on the Birmingham Iron due to the AAF team structuring process. So if there is a team to show any interest in then it's probably them.

Trent Richardson on this team along with Colton Schmidt!  

Joe Pendry as GM, Ted Cottrell as LB coach and Martin Bayless as DB coach.

• Like (+1) 1