PromoTheRobot

The AAF Thread

I'm wondering if enough TBDers will be following the Alliance of American Football this spring that it would merit its own sub-forum? I will certainly be interested in the league as a secondary source for Bills talent. Thoughts? Who decides on creating sub-forums?

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 3

I might tune in once or twice to see how good or bad it is. I also tuned into the XFL once or twice and a couple of other fledgling leagues once or twice but they never won me over.

If it lasts more than one season, maybe give it a sub-forum. 

I’ll definitely tune in to a game or two just to see the level of competition. I’m genuinely interested to see if it’s going to be watchable or just a complete **** show 

• Like (+1) 1

The concept is really interesting.  It’s basically AAA football for fans who want Spring football.  They aren’t positioning themselves as an NFL rival - more like a feeding system and theoretically some of the AAF players will go on to play on NFL roster this summer/fall.  

I’ll check it out 

• Like (+1) 4

I noticed that AJ Tarpley, former Bills LB who retired after his rookie season due to concussions, is on the final roster for the SD Fleet. He must have changed his mind... trying to get back in the nfl?

I’ll give it a once over but realistically, I’ll care more about what kind of panties Trump is wearing on any given day.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

I’ll give it a once over but realistically, I’ll care more about what kind of panties Trump is wearing on any given day.

Ivanka or Melania?  

p.s. Does the secret service know about this obsession of yours?

Speaking only for myself -- nope.

I’ll watch it because, why not. Fills the void of the NFL during an extremely long off season. I’m also looking forward to the XFL next spring. It’s nice to have something, anything, in the way of football. I don’t think either have a prayer of surviving more than 1-2 seasons but I’ll watch in the meantime. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm wondering if enough TBDers will be following the Alliance of American Football this spring that it would merit its own sub-forum? I will certainly be interested in the league as a secondary source for Bills talent. Thoughts? Who decides on creating sub-forums?

Well Promo you forgot to mention that the pay per view option will have topless cheerleaders !!!!

2 hours ago, ALF said:

There are some real football names, ex NFL players and coaches, that make me think this will be a real operation. Plus the fact they have actual TV channels (CNS/TNT/NFL Network even) on board gives it an air of legitimacy. 

Key rules to know.  Ebersol has made it a point to note that there's more that makes the AAF and the NFL similar than different. That said, the AAF has introduced a handful of interesting, key differences that separate it from the NFL. 

• Play clock: The AAF's play clock will be 35 seconds, five seconds shorter than the NFL's. Anything less, Ebersol believes, will actually make the games longer due to sloppier play that results in stoppages through incomplete passes, penalties and the like. 
  • Timeouts/challenges: There are no television timeouts during games and an ongoing effort to have fewer commercials to reduce overall game time to roughly 150 minutes instead of 180 minutes in the NFL. Additionally, replays will be limited to two coach's challenges for either team. 
  • Kickoffs: There are no kickoffs; instead, teams will start drives from their own 25-yard lines. In lieu of an onside kick, each team will have a "fourth-and-10" from their 35-yard line. If the offense converts for a first down, it keeps the ball. These alterations were designed not only with player safety in mind, but as a reaction to what NFL fans find to be among the least interesting parts of the game. 
  • Two-point conversions: There will be no extra point attempts after touchdowns, only two-point conversions. 
  • Overtimes: To help keep games within a two-and-a-half hour time slot, there will be one overtime session. Each team will start an offensive possession from the 10-yard line, and just like in regulation, two-point conversions are required. Games can end in a tie after the overtime period. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/aaf-2019-viewers-guide-schedule-coaches-players-things-to-know-for-new-pro-football-alliance/

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

I’m lucky I’m able to dedicate as much of my free time towards NFL in Sunday’s and hockey on week nights. As interested as I am in these “minor” league systems, it’s just not practical for me to watch. 

That being said, I think it’d be a cool idea to have a forum or thread for updates/highlights/opinions for folks like me :) 

I'll be interested to watch some and see the level of play. I think it would be great to have a minor league system in the NFL, as long as they didn't do away with major college football.