Saquon Barkley wins Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Year

YoloinOhio

39 minutes ago, DJB said:

Mayfield  was more impressive to me to do it as a rookie QB and also simply being a Cleveland  Brown.

Barkley had a 5.0 ypc and was had over 2000 yards combined  rushing and receiving as a rookie RB.   He was more productive than a lot of veteran stars.   Seems like a no brainer to me.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Barkley had a 5.0 ypc and was had over 2000 yards combined  rushing and receiving as a rookie RB.   He was more productive than a lot of veteran stars.   Seems like a no brainer to me.

They both had excellent seasons, but Barkley is a special talent.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Exactly. Barkley is already performing at elite levels regardless of experience in the league. Mayfield was impressive as a rookie, but not compared to veteran QB's. If Mayfield plays the same for the rest of his career he'll be a disappointment. If Barkley plays the same he'll be elite.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Barkley is a legitimate pick, but far from a no-brainer pick. Stats are nice. Barkley is a great player, but Mayfield performed a high level in a more important postion, and basically turned around the hopes and dreams of a franchise. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, MJS said:

Exactly. Barkley is already performing at elite levels regardless of experience in the league. Mayfield was impressive as a rookie, but not compared to veteran QB's. If Mayfield plays the same for the rest of his career he'll be a disappointment. If Barkley plays the same he'll be elite.

Well said and exactly on point.

1 hour ago, teef said:

brady quinn was telling mayfield on the radio yesterday that he was a lock to win.  

Why does anyone listen to that schmuck? 

Not only was he colossally bad at football, but every time he opens his mouth as an analyst he says some dumb *****. 

Edited by whatdrought

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Barkley should win this unanimously.  It's not even close.

Really? I didn’t even think Barkley was the most impressive rookie at his position.

I could easily see them choosing Mayfield, he played head and shoulders above his peer group.

12 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Really? I didn’t even think Barkley was the most impressive rookie at his position.

I could easily see them choosing Mayfield, he played head and shoulders above his peer group.

Barkley had 1300 rushing yards and averaged 5 YPC.  He also had 721 receiving yards.

He was 2nd in the entire league (Elliott) in carries and yards.

He was the 2nd best RB in the entire NFL, let alone compared to his peer group.

Just now, Gugny said:

Barkley had 1300 rushing yards and averaged 5 YPC.  He also had 721 receiving yards.

I liked Philip Lindsey better. And imo it's eminently debatable who the top RBs in the league are...I like Gurley, McCaffrey, Gordon, Kamara etc a ton too. Barkley is good no doubt but I can easily see the argument for Mayfield.

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

I liked Philip Lindsey better. And imo it's eminently debatable who the top RBs in the league are...I like Gurley, McCaffrey, Gordon, Kamara etc a ton too. Barkley is good no doubt but I can easily see the argument for Mayfield.

wow

9 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I think it could be argued he was the best. at least up for a debate.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Barkley led the entire league in scrimmage yds. 750 more than Lindsey. He also outscored him 15 to 10

Are you just screwing with us right now? 

Do you assume everyone you disagree with is 'screwing with you'? Or that your opinion is so unassailable as to necessitate that question of others'?

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Do you assume everyone you disagree with is 'screwing with you'? Or that your opinion is so unassailable as to necessitate that question of others'?

in other words the disparity in there numbers is so much so that I could only fathom somebody saying they like lindsey better as a joke.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Haha (+1) 1

Barkley no doubt deserves all the honors. 

Giants might of been 0-16 without him they were so bad. His “stats” could of been waaaaaay more if the giants had a clue how to run an offense over there. 

I only paid attention cause Barkley was on my fantasy team and the guy had so many games where they didn’t give him anywhere near enough touches. Rather they are saving his wear and tear for a year they may contend or whatever they really backed off using him. If that guy ever sees Elliot kinda touches with a decent offensive line he’ll be breaking records for sure. 

Mayfield had a decent season but I’m not sure why he gets so much love on here? Cleveland has been so bad for so long I feel like mayfield is getting too much credit for the turnaround. Their other guys helped as much if not more, Chubb caught fire, Njoku looks like he’s gonna be a decent tight end, Landry made tons of plays for them as much as I hate to say it, garret looks unblockable. 

They have quite a bit of young and hungry talent. Not dogging on mayfield he played quite well but the team was the reason for success where as Barkley was similar to Allen carrying the whole offense on his back some games 

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

in other words the disparity in there numbers is so much so that I could only fathom somebody saying they like lindsey better because they are joking.

Do you ever worry that mocking someone's opinion without doing the requisite analysis might be a poor way of constructing an argument?

8 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Do you ever worry that mocking someone's opinion without doing the requisite analysis might be a poor way of constructing an argument?

what exactly would be the right way to analyze it? other than YPC can you find me another statistic for lindsay? Barkley wasn't just better than Lindsay in numerous categories he was near tops in the league in almost all of them.

you get that all you came back with was "only back in the league to go over 1000 yds with less than 200 carries"..... WOW! that did it! 

you are entitled to your opinion. that doesn't mean its not an awful one and doesn't have much of a foundation. if you wanna talk about who was a better value pick or something along those lines then we have a different argument. but barkley was clearly the better RB. where is the debate at? find me something else other than YPC.

better yet find me another person on the planet, excluding lindsay, that thinks he was the better back.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

what exactly would be the right way to analyze it? other than YPC can you find me another statistic for lindsey?

you get that all you came back with was "only back in the league to go over 1000 yds with less than 200 carries"..... WOW! that did it! 

So never mind the fact that Lindsey was more effective than Barkley per carry...you're sticking with total yardage as your benchmark?

3 hours ago, DJB said:

Mayfield  was more impressive to me to do it as a rookie QB and also simply being a Cleveland  Brown.

He also didnt join three former Rookies in doing something. He set the new Rookie Record for passing TDs.

Dont get me wrong, what Barkley did was amazing.   However, Mayfields season was better.

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

So never mind the fact that Lindsey was more effective than Barkley per carry...you're sticking with total yardage as your benchmark?

Receptions, tds, leading the nfl in scrimmage yards. Ya basically ALL the other data. 

And the the fact that he still had 5 ypc 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

1 minute ago, formerlyofCtown said:

He also didnt join three former Rookies in doing something. He set the new Rookie Record for passing TDs.

Dont get me wrong, what Barkley did was amazing.   However, Mayfields season was better.

This is how I feel as well.

Just now, Stank_Nasty said:

Receptions, tds, leading the nfl in scrimmage yards. Ya basically ALL the other data. 

And the the fact that he still had 5 ypc 

Do you think David Johnson had a better year than Melvin Gordon too?

16 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

This is how I feel as well.

Do you think David Johnson had a better year than Melvin Gordon too?

my god this is a comical comparison.... but i'll bite. Gordon had the better season. why? because he had a full 1.5 yds better per ypc. he played 12 games as opposed to 16 for Johnson, while having just as many receptions and more receiving yards. Johnson just barely nipped him in rushing yds and that's due to playing 4 more games. really really bad example bro. 

now lets look at lindsay and barkley. barkley with 200+ more rushing yds, 500 more receiving yds, 55 more receptions, 700 more total yds, 5 more tds….. but .4 less per carry.

the hilarious part here is you bagged on MY analysis. seriously..... geez, man.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

3 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

my god this is a comical comparison.... but i'll bite. Gordon had the better season. why? because he had a full 1.5 yds better per ypc. he played 12 games as opposed to 16 for Johnson, while having just as many receptions and more receiving yards. Johnson just barely nipped him in rushing yds and that's due to playing 4 more games. really really bad example bro. 

now lets look at lindsay and barkley. barkley with 200+ more rushing yds, 500 more receiving yds, 55 more receptions, 700 more total yds, 5 more tds….. but .4 less per carry.

the hilarious part here is you bagged on MY analysis. seriously..... geez, man.

200+ rushing yards w/ 70 more attempts doesn't impress me. Nor does the passing stat discrepancy considering who was throwing them the ball imo. Lindsay has more TDs/ touch, more yards/touch, and is generally the more efficient player rushing the ball. Everything Barkley did better than Lindsay was a function of usage, which isn't without value but doesn't tell the whole story at all. 

9 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

200+ rushing yards w/ 70 more attempts doesn't impress me. Nor does the passing stat discrepancy considering who was throwing them the ball imo. Lindsay has more TDs/ touch, more yards/touch, and is generally the more efficient player rushing the ball. Everything Barkley did better than Lindsay was a function of usage, which isn't without value but doesn't tell the whole story at all. 

So you're giving Lindsay the ROY based on what could potentially happen if he got the ball more.

12 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

No I'm giving it to Mayfield. 

Oh.  I'd agree if it was the Rookie QB of the Year.

But it's not.  And Barkley was - let's just say - among the best RBs in the NFL.

Which other rookie (offense) was among the best in the league at his position?

Edited by Gugny

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Oh.  I'd agree if it was the Rookie QB of the Year.

But it's not.  And Barkley was - let's just say - among the best RBs in the NFL.

Which other rookie was among the best in the league at his position?

Derwin James ... I think he will end up getting the DROY from the AP

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MJS said:

Wow, really?  Even if he only plays 10 years, he would be top 25 all time in yards and top 20 in passing TDs.  Who would be disappointed by that?