Mel Kiper Mocks — 1.0 DT Rashan Gary 2.0 DK Metcalf

YoloinOhio

On 1/25/2019 at 4:34 AM, GunnerBill said:

The Bills most productive pass rushers in 2018:

Jerry Hughes - 18 hits; 7 sacks - 31 years old when 2019 season kicks off

Lorenzo Alexander - 10 hits; 6.5 sacks - 36 years old when 2019 season kicks off

Kyle Williams - 14 hits; 5 sacks - Retired

(the next best was Shaq - 12 hits and 4 sacks)

How anyone can look at that and not believe we have a need for a pass rusher I am not quite sure. If a high ceiling pass rusher is there for them at #9 they absolutely must take him.

But who is that pass rusher in this draft?   THAT’S the question imo.  Have to hope Ferrell falls.  Gary isn’t an end for us imo, let alone a fierce pass rushing end.  Move Oliver to end or go DT pass rush him or the Clemson kids?  Idk. Just don’t think I’d want any of those guys at 9 except Oliver and maybe Ferrell. 

But, yes.....we do have to address the pass rush.  It’s just a matter of who can be effective 

• Like (+1) 2

His 2.0 is out - Bills take DK Metcalf. Rashan Gary off the board already 5 spots higher.

1. Buffalo Bills D.K. Metcalf, WR, Ole Miss

Quarterback Josh Allen had an up-and-down rookie season in Buffalo, but he needs better pass-catching options in Year 2. That's how we can fully evaluate his development. You might remember Metcalf from this viral photo from last week -- he's a 6-foot-4, 230-pound physical specimen who is going to test well at the combine. There is some projection here, as Metcalf missed most of the 2018 season with a scary neck injury and only caught 67 passes in his college career. But he is a big-play threat -- check out this catch -- who is the best "big" receiver in this class.

Ole Miss wide receiver D.K Metcalf underwent neck surgery Oct. 20, 2018 but has been cleared for all football activity without limitations.

Here is who went before:

1. Arizona Cardinals Nick Bosa, DE, Ohio State

No change at the top here -- Bosa is the top prospect in this class. He can be an elite pass-rusher at the next level, just like his brother Joey. His workouts at the combine will be closely watched to see if he's back at full strength after his core muscle injury. As far as the fit in a 3-4 defense in Arizona, this quote last week from new defensive coordinator Vance Joseph stood out: "4-3 college ends, they grow to be outside 'backers. It's a learned ability." Joseph's former team in Denver used a top-five pick on Bradley Chubb last year, and Joseph converted him to outside linebacker -- opposite Von Miller -- and he had 12 sacks as a rookie. The 6-foot-4, 263-pound Bosa would have a good edge-rushing partner in Chandler Jones

2. San Francisco 49ers

Josh Allen, OLB, Kentucky

If the Niners don't trade down to add up more picks, I expect them to take an edge rusher here. And Allen (6-5, 250) is just a step behind Bosa on my board. Two former first-round picks along the defensive line (Arik Armstead and Solomon Thomas) have struggled in San Francisco, but neither has the pure pass-rushing ability of Allen, who had 17 sacks and five forced fumbles last season. Allen would fill a glaring need.

3. New York Jets

Quinnen Williams, DT, Alabama

The Jets have several needs on both sides of the ball, and they don't have their extremely valuable second-round pick (No. 34) in this draft as a result of the Sam Darnold trade up last year. I wouldn't be surprised to see quarterback-needy teams try to trade up to this spot, which would help GM Mike Maccagnan get back some of the capital he lost in 2018. If the Jets stay at No. 3, Williams, a 3-technique penetrator with a high motor and advanced pass-rushing skills, would be a tremendous pick.

4. Oakland Raiders Rashan Gary, DE, Michigan

After trading away Khalil Mack before the season, the Raiders' pass rush was abysmal in 2018, putting up a league-low 13 sacks. Expect coach Jon Gruden and new GM Mike Mayock to target a pass-rusher with one of their three first-round picks. Gary (6-6, 283) has some versatility to kick inside and play tackle, but he has a high ceiling as an end. When he's locked in, he can dominate a game

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers Montez Sweat, DE, Mississippi State

The 6-foot-6, 245-pound Sweat, who had 22 sacks over the past two seasons, was the best prospect at the Senior Bowl in January. He keeps rising on my board, and he should have a great combine workout. Tampa Bay's defense is likely to undergo an overhaul under new coach Bruce Arians and coordinator Todd Bowles, and the Bucs have to add edge rushers. Jason Pierre-Paul had a nice first season in Tampa (12.5 sacks), but he's 30. Former second-round pick Noah Spence, meanwhile, has just one sack over the last two seasons. This is another spot that could be for sale in a trade as teams try to get ahead of the Giants to grab a quarterback.

6.New York Giants Dwayne Haskins, QB, Ohio State

With no trades in my Mock Drafts, this is the first logical spot for a quarterback. And Haskins (6-3, 220) is the best quarterback on my board. Easy choice. Yes, he only started 14 games at Ohio State, but he's a smooth thrower with an extremely high ceiling. Something to note if the Giants trade up to make sure they get their guy: They don't have a third-round pick after using it on cornerback Sam Beal in last year's supplemental draft. That means if they give up their second-rounder and future choices to jump a few spots, they won't be on the clock again until Day 3. This is a huge pick for GM Dave Gettleman.

play 0:56 McShay can see team trading up to draft HaskinsTodd McShay has QB Dwayne Haskins going No. 6 to the Giants in his NFL Mock Draft 2.0, but can envision a team trading up to grab him earlier

7.Jacksonville Jaguars Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida

I'm sticking with an offensive lineman for Jacksonville here, as I believe the organization is more likely to go after a veteran quarterback like Nick Foles or Teddy Bridgewater over a rookie. This is a talented team that has to have more consistent QB play to get back to the playoffs in 2019. Could Tom Coughlin trust a rookie starter? Taylor will likely play right tackle at the next level -- he made 33 starts there in college -- and he could step in and start on Day 1 for the Jags.

8. Detroit Lions T.J. Hockenson, TE, Iowa

Hockenson (6-5, 250) is a complete player who can run routes out of the slot on one play, then line up next to a tackle and blow up an edge defender in the running game on the next. I'm not going to call him a Rob Gronkowski clone, but there are similarities, particularly when you see each as blockers. And remember that Lions coach Matt Patricia and GM Bob Quinn saw firsthand what Gronk did for the Patriots during their time in the organization.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/25/2019 at 4:34 AM, GunnerBill said:

The Bills most productive pass rushers in 2018:

Jerry Hughes - 18 hits; 7 sacks - 31 years old when 2019 season kicks off

Lorenzo Alexander - 10 hits; 6.5 sacks - 36 years old when 2019 season kicks off

Kyle Williams - 14 hits; 5 sacks - Retired

(the next best was Shaq - 12 hits and 4 sacks)

How anyone can look at that and not believe we have a need for a pass rusher I am not quite sure. If a high ceiling pass rusher is there for them at #9 they absolutely must take him.

We need a pass rusher for sure. It is just more important to create an environment for Josh Allen to be successful. This team will go as far as the offence takes them. There are some good pass rushers in free agency too.

6 hours ago, billspro said:

We need a pass rusher for sure. It is just more important to create an environment for Josh Allen to be successful. This team will go as far as the offence takes them. There are some good pass rushers in free agency too.

Indeed. But there has to be the offensive guys worth taking at 9 and I am far from convinced I see them. 

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Indeed. But there has to be the offensive guys worth taking at 9 and I am far from convinced I see them. 

I would prefer a trade down.

Hockenson and Metcalf might be worth a top ten pick. I am not sure yet either.

I like Kneal Harry the best of the WR group. But would not be angry with Metcalf as the big. Without being injured this season I feel Metcalf would have put up big numbers. You rarely get a receiver with his size and his speed. 6’4 225 is usually a big bodied receiver. Metcalf can do that, and he can also blow past you with 4.4 speed. Rare physical freak combination. 

9 minutes ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

I’m not ready to buy the hype for Metcalf yet. I actually like his teammate AJ Brown more right now. Brown to me is the best possession receiver in the draft IMO and I’m not sure why he’s not getting more love than he is from people.

I just planned my entire mock draft around drafting AJ Brown in the 2nd. He’s my guy. 

20 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Just give me a big fat offensive linemen in the first in a trade down....then take either AJ Brown or Deebo in the 2nd....followed by a TE

That’s what I’m leaning, depends on free agency, but I’d be thrilled if the Bills came away with this in the first three rounds....

1) Jonah Williams

2) AJ Brown

3) Isaac Nauta

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I just planned my entire mock draft around drafting AJ Brown in the 2nd. He’s my guy. 

I like Brown... A lot. He's 2nd on my list after Hakeem Butler as Day 1/Day 2 guys. Parris Campbell and Miles Boykin after that are the guys I would want on the Bills next year who can be had late on Day 2/possibly Day 3. 

8 hours ago, 2018 Our Year For Sure said:

I've heard it opined that he'll be a best fit as a big slot. Are you looking at him to play outside?

Not sure but the Bills desperately need a slot WR. I don’t like Zay there. Brown reminds me of Michael Thomas. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1