Josh Allen during the pick 6

Another Fan

I don't want to see him tackling, because that would mean there was an int or fumble.

What I do want is to see him block somebody into the next dimension like Thomas did yesterday.

Then - and only then - will I buy a 8' x 20' wall mural.

8 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Another amazing thing that I don't think anyone's brought up is the fact that Josh Allen made 3 block attempts on running plays that were reversed. He didn't try to avoid the play or avoid the block he welcomed it. I'm telling you guys you probably already know this but this kid is special and he's ours for the next 10 years. He's only going to get better with each game. How stupid I was to think I wanted Rosen over him.....

I was thinking Rosen too! Man so glad we got the right Josh!! He just loves the game ! Wasn’t just talking when he said that QB in the NFL was all he ever wanted to do!

His reaction was nice and shows his great competitiveness, but even better was how he bounced back (and then some!) unaffected in  the 2nd half. He is mentally tough. He has shown it in interviews, how he handled his injury, this pick 6, the zero point game in GB, etc. 

Remember, that was his first and only pick 6! I expected a lot more of these rookie mistakes, and overall only 4-5 bad passes in 10 games and only one pick 6 ain't so bad! (Yes many inaccurate passes but here I'm talking bad rookie decisions). Replacing Tyrod Taylor (remember him?) I expected at times to miss the scrambling and ball protection. Instead he outran TT (which himself had broken the Bills QB rush record) in only 10 games and made very few bad decisions. With way more upside, enthusiasm, leadership, etc. He overdelivered to me.

This guy is special and let's hope this offseason that the OLine and WR group are greatly improved! The Bills O could be a force as of 2019!

• Like (+1) 2

Looking for the tackle after he throws an int is instinctually how Allen reacts when he makes a mistake.  It’s what I have seen him do on every interception that he threw in college. When I watched his college tape, that was one of the things that stood out to me. It’s the competitive drive burning inside of him which is one thing I love about the guy. 

I actually don’t want my starting QB throwing blocks or trying to tackle guys. Obviously his instincts take over in situations like that but please don’t get hurt doing it, especially in a meaningless game. We need him healthy for the offseason so he can get back to work and improve his game.

what was crazy about that series is why run the damn ball on first down when you needed to execute a real 2 minute offense and than after a little to no gain forced the issue of needing to pass.   The play calling at time seems brilliant and other times makes me scratch my head.

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That play is at the 1:30 mark.

The funny thing is that in today's college football Allen may have been called for targeting on that play! 

But the key thing we saw was that Allen shrugged that throw off and went on to have a stellar 2nd half. 

10 hours ago, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

It really reminded me of when Kelly got intercepted one time and totally destroyed the guy! I believe he broke his leg! Kelly was pissed and took it out on that guy!! I see the same fire from Josh and I love that!!

Found it. Anthony Phillips:

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 1

It really reminded me of when Kelly got intercepted one time and totally destroyed the guy! I believe he broke his leg! Kelly was pissed and took it out on that guy!! I see the same fire from Josh and I love that!!

I remember this as Kelly was on his longest streak without an INT and was pissed...folks back then forgot that he was offered a linebacker scholarship from Joe Pa at Penn State before electing to play QB for Miami. Plays like that reminded them

3 hours ago, RiotAct said:

Bledsoe

He’s Jim Kelly all day long as far as intangibles.

Kelly was an accurate passer, but had no wheels and didn’t have the arm Allen has.

Bledsoe had a great arm but held onto the ball forever. Bledsoe was a statue in the pocket.

Those were the Atlanta Falcons in 1995. And I believe Kelly hurt his right shoulder making that bone-crushing tackle. 

3 minutes ago, dlonce said:

He’s Jim Kelly all day long as far as intangibles.

Kelly was an accurate passer, but had no wheels and didn’t have the arm Allen has.

Bledsoe had a great arm but held onto the ball forever. Bledsoe was a statue in the pocket.

Kelly has a LIFETIME NFL completion % of 60.1 :blink:

10 hours ago, Another Fan said:

I know he’s just doing what he’s supposed to do but I thought that was pretty cool he tried to tackle Jones and swipe the ball.  He didn’t give up on the play and pout his head.  Even before the second half started little things like that make me more and more confident in him.  

It was nice to see that and he has a lot of Brett Favre and Jim Kelly in him by nature...and that's all good...but his "toughness" or "will to win" will not be what decides if he stays in the league.  

He needs to improve with quarterbacking basics.

14 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

It was nice to see that and he has a lot of Brett Favre and Jim Kelly in him by nature...and that's all good...but his "toughness" or "will to win" will not be what decides if he stays in the league.  

He needs to improve with quarterbacking basics.

At this stage I think such comments are a bit silly. Josh Allen (even with the growing pains) out performs more than a few NFL QBs who have "stayed" in the league.

The question is more is he the right QB for the Bills to get them to the next level.

I can think of 3-4 teams without much effort that would give a lot to have Allen with all his "quarterbacking basics" flaws, vs what they now have behind center.

Edited by WideNine

2 minutes ago, WideNine said:

At this stage I think such comments are a bit silly. Josh Allen (even with the growing pains) out performs more than a few NFL QBs who have "stayed" in the league.

The question is more is he the right QB for the Bills to get them to the next level.

I can think of 3-4 teams without much effort that would give their right testicle to have Allen with all his "quarterbacking basics" flaws.

I disagree with your early assessment, but I'm not going to argue with you about it.

We can just let next season unfold as it will.  This doesn't need to be debated now.

27 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I disagree with your early assessment, but I'm not going to argue with you about it.

We can just let next season unfold as it will.  This doesn't need to be debated now.

I can respect that.

We can put a pin in it for now and revisit next year.

11 hours ago, Another Fan said:

I know he’s just doing what he’s supposed to do but I thought that was pretty cool he tried to tackle Jones and swipe the ball.  He didn’t give up on the play and pout his head.  Even before the second half started little things like that make me more and more confident in him.  

How would you have felt if he had wrecked his shoulder doing that?  There are things you want your [hopefully] franchise QB to do, and things you do not. Two things in the NOT category are the player hurdling he did at the beginning of the season, and making that tackle in a meaningless game that for all practical purposes had already been decided by that point.   He has learned to slide and hasn't hurdled anyone lately.  He is a charged up rookie that has learned this season, but has some more learning to do.