Josh Allen final numbers

Hebert19

15 hours ago, tcampbell104 said:

wow he doesnt have to improve tremendously he just needs to improve

Now we're quibbling about the word tremendously? This is what makes it difficult to converse about JA. The ABB will jump out in full force if you make a comment that isn't full throated adoration. We're all impressed by his physical gifts and nobody can reasonably conclude that he isn't the long term answer. He's made every skeptic re-think their stance and it's quite possible the analytics guys got it wrong this time. However, the jury is very much out as to whether or not he'll improve enough upon his weaknesses to be a top tier QB. Notice I didn't say tremendously?

2 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Now we're quibbling about the word tremendously? This is what makes it difficult to converse about JA. The ABB will jump out in full force if you make a comment that isn't full throated adoration. We're all impressed by his physical gifts and nobody can reasonably conclude that he isn't the long term answer. He's made every skeptic re-think their stance and it's quite possible the analytics guys got it wrong this time. However, the jury is very much out as to whether or not he'll improve enough upon his weaknesses to be a top tier QB. Notice I didn't say tremendously?

you hate the guy and dont want to be wrong about him , and saying he has to improve tremendously means he must really suck now. that is really stupid

1 minute ago, tcampbell104 said:

you hate the guy and dont want to be wrong about him , and saying he has to improve tremendously means he must really suck now. that is really stupid

Brah, I've watched every Bills game for 30 years. My mood has been altered from week to week(in games that matter) for each and every one of those 30 years. Skepticism/critique does not equal hate. If it turns out that Josh Allen is not the answer, then the BILLS would be better served looking elsewhere. Based on his play, he's going to be here for awhile so the only real hope is that he IS the guy and that I've been wrong the entire time. Pretty damn sure I don't get a prize in the mail if Josh Allen fails. But you do you. I'll continue to support the BUFFALO BILLS. 

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

Brah, I've watched every Bills game for 30 years. My mood has been altered from week to week(in games that matter) for each and every one of those 30 years. Skepticism/critique does not equal hate. If it turns out that Josh Allen is not the answer, then the BILLS would be better served looking elsewhere. Based on his play, he's going to be here for awhile so the only real hope is that he IS the guy and that I've been wrong the entire time. Pretty damn sure I don't get a prize in the mail if Josh Allen fails. But you do you. I'll continue to support the BUFFALO BILLS. 

wow, sounds like you have issues

There is simply no way to predict the the Year 2 vs Year 1 improvement in Quarterbacks.   Going back and looking at some QBs year 2 improvements/game (not including guys like Mahomes or Brady who didn't play much their rookie year).  Passing yards only. 

Elway 151 / 173 yrds/gm, 48% to 56% Comp. and 7/14 to 18/15 TD/Int (ypg went up to 243 his 3rd year though)

Kelly  224 / 233 ypg, 59% to 60% Comp. and 22/17 to 19/11 TD/Int

Marino 201 / 318 ypg, 58% to 64% Comp. and 20/6 to 48/17 TD/Int (his stats went down his 3rd year though)

Goff 156 / 254 ypg, 55% to 62% Comp. and /7 to 28/7 TD/Int

Wentz 236 / 254 ypg, 62% to 60% Comp. and 16/14 to 33/7 TD/Int 

Some QB's make significant improvements while others marginally. 

Allen  173 ypg, 53%, 10/12 TD/Int (Avg. 216 ypg in last 5 games)  -  I project 240 ypg, 58% Comp. and 28/14 TD/Int (plus 40 ypg rushing and 8 rushing TD's)

Darnold 220 ypg, 58% 17/15 TD/Int - I project 265 ypg, 62% Comp. and 32/14 TD/Int

Mayfield 266 ypg, 64% 27/14 TD/Int - I project 290 ypg, 65% Comp. and 38/12 TD/Int

my projections are simply semi-educated guesses.  

3 hours ago, Bill Murray said:

Also keep in mind the tons of drops his WRs had.  A number of third and longs were dropped over the back 6 weeks.  Clay dropped a 40 yard TD at the end of the first Miami game.

i think his numbers don’t really tell the story.  He is a playmaker.  If he gets surrounded by some more playmakers, this offense could be electric.

Anyone looking at Allens 'stats' needs to watch this.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Just watched the Cleveland game and Mayfield has better stats but id much rather have Allen with his arm and athleticism and leadership.

You could see Mayfield "s arm cost them some catches on the last drive.

Mayfield is a winner and clearly was the best of the rookie QB class. By far. But I too can see Allen catching him and passing him bye not so far away in the future.

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, cle23 said:

Is Baker not intelligent? He's been audibling and changing plays for weeks now, and actually re-huddled the team a few weeks ago after seeing the defense and essentially drew up a play in huddle that scored a TD.

Allen is definitely more physically gifted, and has impressed me a lot this year, but don't act like he is definitely more football intelligent.

Allen looked great yesterday,  but that was the 1st game that I thought he looked like a good/great passer. So much of his success before that was based off of running, which never lasts for any QB. 

Don't forget the Detroit Game too!

My opinion based on yesterday is 3 major things- he has improved drastically in last 5ish games and looked like a real qb. He had one horrible throw which was pick 6, that play was awful. Lastly he needs some cohesion with recievers but he is getting much better at shorter throws. I think he will be all pro within 3 years.

I just saw a stat....During the last 6 games Josh accounted for 1,718 of the team's 2,092 total yards from scrimmage(82.12%), for a rook that's remarkable. Way too little talent on the offensive side of the ball and he still showed marked improvement throughout the year. From the time he got injured till the time he returned and from the time he returned from injury till the final game against Miami. He did all that even though most of the time he was running for his life. I believe he has everything you want, get some talent around him, sit back and watch him shine.

On 12/31/2018 at 9:48 AM, bdutton said:

Josh has shown a lot of progress over the season.  I think we have a realistic shot at a 10 win season if he continues to play as well as he has over the last 6 games and makes the following improvements:

1. Improved O-Line (via FA/Draft).  Better protection in passing plays and improved blocking for McCoy/potential replacement.

2. Add a TE/WR via high draft picks and FA.  The first half of the season featured what could arguably be the worst receiver play since the early '80s.  Too many dropped passes.

3. Accuracy.  Off-season/Pre-season work with a solidified and improved WR corp should help get Josh familiar with the speed and routes of his receivers.

4. Head scratching plays need to be eliminated.  Know when to take a sack and not throw blind awkward backhanded passes in an attempt to avoid a loss.

5. Don't let Dabol go.  I believe he is the key to the development of Josh.

6. With improved line play and run blocking, fewer improvised runs by Josh and more yards/td's through the air and better completion percentage.

I would expect that Josh should be able to get the following numbers in 2019:

3000+ passing yards.

400-500 rushing yards.

25 TD's passing

5 TD's rushing

60% completion 

12 ints

10-6 with division championship.

He also needs to have better ball security. If we’re going to add his rushing stats into the mix (which we should) we need to also add his fumbles.

He fumbled 8 times this season in 12 games. Sure, he only lost two, but 8 fumbles is way too many and it’s simply the luck of the bounce that enabled the Bills to only lose two of them.

I’d also like to see him keep his eyes downfield more when he takes off running. There are the potential for some big chunk yards down field in these situations and I’d like to see him take advantage of it more.

That being said his future looks bright right now. I don’t know about the playoffs next year but I’m more excited about Allen as a QB today than Ineas after the draft.

I am optimistic about Allen but I don't really get why people are making comparisons to Baker Mayfield. Baker was the #1 overall pick and was assumed to be more pro-ready from day 1. He has had a superior year to Allen which is as expected. So what? Allen needs to grow which again was the plan. The question really becomes, will he improve? I would say the signs are good but he might also hit a wall. We will have to find out how he can do with a better roster in 2019.

1 hour ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

I am optimistic about Allen but I don't really get why people are making comparisons to Baker Mayfield. Baker was the #1 overall pick and was assumed to be more pro-ready from day 1. He has had a superior year to Allen which is as expected. So what? Allen needs to grow which again was the plan. The question really becomes, will he improve? I would say the signs are good but he might also hit a wall. We will have to find out how he can do with a better roster in 2019.

I agree.  And I think it's fair to say that the difference between Mayfield & Allen is not nearly as big as most people would have predicted last April. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, stosh64 said:

Anyone looking at Allens 'stats' needs to watch this.

Watching that made me want to cry....but the music made me laugh! 

22 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I agree.  And I think it's fair to say that the difference between Mayfield & Allen is not nearly as big as most people would have predicted last April. 

I had serious reservations about Allen, I freely admit. I have been pleasantly surprised and I find it encouraging. Does that mean he’s a can’t miss guy at this point? Of course not. 

• Like (+1) 2