2019 NFL Draft: Bills officially picking 9th

Virgil

7 hours ago, TPS said:

Great Defenses stop the run first and usually average under 100 ypg. The Bills were middle of the pack here at 115 ypg.  I would be happy to see them go DT. 

If I had to call it today I think they go DT, maybe twice. There are a ton of good ones this year. One of Williams, Oliver, Gary or Simmons will be there at 9. 

McD has proven he can put together a secondary. Milano and Edmunds are set. If we can beef up the interior D line and consistently stop the run, our D will be elite.

Edited by Juice_32

19 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

If I had to call it today I think they go DT, maybe twice. There are a ton of good ones this year. One of Williams, Oliver, Gary or Simmons will be there at 9. 

McD has proven he can put together a secondary. Milano and Edmunds are set. If we can beef up the interior D line and consistently stop the run, our D will be elite.

I expect them to add a few OL in free agency, but I would also be happy if they landed one of the top 2 OTs at 9. The other alternative would be a pass-rusher, as they will need to find Jerry's successor.

9 is a solid spot.  An impact defender could fall to us if a Qb goes.  Buffalo may go offense and pick an Olineman or skill player.  A wr that tests very well will boost them into the conversation.  If Hollywood Brown or dk Metcalf runs sub 4.4 I would consider them at 9. 

7 hours ago, TFBillsfan said:

Would love to see us sign in FA Paradis C and Anthony Barr OLB. Draft Williams OT at 9, Noah Fant TE in the 2nd, Ross Pieschbacher OG in the 3rd, Bryce Love RB in the 4th. 

maybe I will eat my words, but I do believe this is a really deep class of TE's coming out and every draft analyst and player personnel interview seem to all agree that this year's wide receivers do not merit 1st round grades, but some of the TE's do have late 1st round grades. I don't like the Bills reaching if there is a better BPA where they are drafting rather see them grab a DT who can stop the run than reach for a need role.

My preference in this draft if there is not a clear impact player left at 9, would be to trade down to later in the 1st, and grab some more picks, but you never know if anyone will be truly desperate to move up. Teams can get really locked in on a prospect and I am sure Beane will be manning the phones.

Regarding Fant... I do not doubt his athleticism, but there are some flags

I have spent some time lurking on the Hawkeye fan boards as I do not watch enough of their games and they all agree that although Fant has ridiculous athletic ability, he is inconsistent catching the ball, and that if they really needed a pass to be caught, or if the TE was going to get tackled right away they would want it to go to their standout junior Hockensen - who may or may not declare so maybe a non-factor.

The coaches at Iowa started limiting Fant's touches and game starts and there has been a lot of speculation - just some comments from their board:

milehighhawkeye24 said: 
Look I have no idea what is going on with Fant- all speculation. However, if you look at what Iowa has been able to do with TE's.......if it is an issue with attitude and effort Fant needs to check himself quickly. Did you see Kittle last night! Blocks his ass off and gives max effort on every play. 1/2 the time Fant falls down with 175 LB DB on him....have not seen him even try to break a tackle this year and constantly getting ass kicked while blocking. Hock still has a ways to go on blocking too, but you can see a noticeable difference in effort.
Hock has improved 100% from last year blocking, Fant hasn't improved since he was a freshman, and I've seen Fant take plays off that are away from him, and that don't fly with KF or hardly any coach.

BTW -  Iowa is starting to churn out some quality TE's Brian Ferentz their OC served as the Patriots Tight Ends coach 2010-2012

I still want to dig a bit more into the other top TE candidates Irv Smith Jr., Albert Okwuegbunam (if we draft him I guess we could go with Okwue Man for short), and Smith from Stanford. The Bills have options.

On 1/1/2019 at 8:03 AM, Rockinon said:

Seriously? Do you think a young 25 year old would rather have JA throwing to him or go to Miami and not know who will be his QB? Even if you are looking at the money side of it, you want to go somewhere where you have a chance to demonstrate your talent and eventually win that big contract. Miami just an't that place and Buffalo is. Taxes and weather are not really a big factor.  Any WR dumb enough to choose Miami over Buffalo probably deserves his fate.

I'm not sure if Josh is a help of a hindrance in signing tOp notch FA WRs.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

Trade back if possible. Ideal scenario is the raiders two late firsts. However, I would consider trading back and picking up a 2019 and 2020 first from a team. If you can get two late firsts go for WR and OL. One late first go for OL and grab WR in the 2nd round. 

Can’t see this regime trading for a ‘20 first rounder.  They need to win in ‘19.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, mannc said:

Can’t see this regime trading for a ‘20 first rounder.  They need to win in ‘19.

Depends on what Pegs tells them. For all we know they could be completely safe in 2019 and on the hot seat next year. It would make sense to tell your GM they are safe for a few years. Otherwise they could force desperation win now moves like Gettlemen in New York

4 minutes ago, mannc said:

Agree. Not sure they will trade down as far as the Raiders two later picks either, but if the Cowboys and Bears both lost this week and were right there at the start of the play-off teams - 21st and 23rd or something - then maybe. I think the Bills would consider a trade down.... but only a few spots. I have my eye on Washington at #15..... if the Giants and Jags both passed on Haskins maybe the Redskins want to jump in there at #9 ahead of the Broncos, Bengals and Dolphins who all have new regimes that could fancy starting over at Quarterback? Even if Haskins is gone maybe they want to massively reach on one of the other Quarterbacks if they think there is a clear #2? It would be a huge reach though for my money.

The other position I think you could see a team come up for is defensive end. Yes, it is a deep and talented class and yes, Bosa is almost certainly long gone by #9 but there seems to be a reasonably broad consensus that Josh Allen of Kentucky, Clelin Ferrell of Clemson and Montez Sweat of Mississippi State represents the next tier of pass rushers after Bosa and if 2 of them are already off the board when the Bills go on the clock at #9 maybe a team that Beane and McDermott know well - the Carolina Panthers - sitting at #16 decide they need to act with other pass rush needy teams - Atlanta, Miami and most obviously Green Bay in front of them.

They are the two scenarios that at this very early stage I could see playing out.

1 hour ago, Bills2ref said:

Depends on what Pegs tells them. For all we know they could be completely safe in 2019 and on the hot seat next year. It would make sense to tell your GM they are safe for a few years. Otherwise they could force desperation win now moves like Gettlemen in New York

Respectfully, I just don't think any of the decisions are handled that way at One Bills Drive anymore.  This is a new era of Bills management, and I also don't see Pegs as the meddling type.

1 hour ago, Bills2ref said:

It doesn’t matter what Pegs tells them now.  If things unravel in 2019, they are toast.  That’s just the way it is.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mannc said:

It doesn’t matter what Pegs tells them now.  If things unravel in 2019, they are toast.  That’s just the way it is.

I do not believe that’s true. One of the Pegula’s has final say as to when the team fires their GM and (likely) coach. If he wants to keep Beane and McDermott another year he can. This fan base has proven to support the team through thick and thin, one more year won’t kill us. 

On 1/2/2019 at 4:24 AM, thebandit27 said:

If the Bills draft to fill needs they'll be back where they were 10 years ago. They need to be smarter than that.

Draft elite talents at critical positions like pass catcher, pass rusher, and cornerback. Stock the roster with talent; fill needs in free agency.

Yep, exactly what Beane said on the John Murphy show yesterday. Said that we will go BPA and that we won't reach, and that he will try to offload the pick / trade down if he doesn't like what he sees at 9.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/31/2018 at 3:05 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You can't buy what isn't on the market.  And good OLmen don't come on the market very often for good reason.  OL is a place where continuity is important. 

Let's say we want to find a really good C as a FA.  Per Spotrac, candidates would include Ryan Kalil (Car), Brett Jones  and Nick Easton (Minn), Matt Paradis (Den) and Mitch Morse (KC). 

Ryan Kalil just retired.  Jones was the backup C for the Vikes and started the 1st 3 games when Elflein was out, but as soon as Elflein came back he took a seat.  Easton played guard on the Vikes good OL in 2017 and was IR'd all 2018 with a bulging disc in his neck.  So we're looking at two guys who got outplayed at the position on a totally Meh OL, one of whom is recovering from a very worrisome, often lingering, injury for a line player.  If Easton is healthy, I would expect the Vikes to re-sign him but as a LG, not a C.  Brett Jones would be a shot in the dark - he's been the backup C on two teams with crap OL (NYG and Vikes this year).

KC really likes Mitch Morse, but he took 6 weeks to recover from a concussion in Wk 6 this season, his 3rd concussion since 2015.  He's better than anyone else they have at center, so if they don't re-sign him - look very carefully under the hood, folks.  He might be one "bell ringing" away from the end of his career.

Matt Paradis, as I understand it, has become regarded as one of the top centers in the league.  Denver's OL was not "all that" this year, and Paradis ended the season on IR for a broken leg.  Again, look carefully under the hood if Denver does not re-sign him, but he seems like the most promising of the guys available.  But I would look for Denver to try to re-sign him, and they have reasonable cap space to do it.  If not, expect significant competition for his services.

So OK, you want to address the OL in FA?  Who ya gonna go after?

If there's one thing we should all have learned by now, it's that mock drafts (especially this early in the process) are almost uniformly incorrect.

For 2018 a number of teams paid big bucks for mediocre offensive linemen, or linemen that played poorly. Sporting News mentions Nate Solder, Ryan Jensen, and Andrew Norwell, for whom the Giants, Jags, and Bucs paid big prices in free agency, only to have them play poorly.

Good o-linemen are hard to find in trade or free agency, and their price is often inflated well past their ability. My friend who is a Bengals fan told me before the season that Bodine was the worst center he had ever seen, and the Bills thought he was going to solve their problem. That's one reason I hated when the Bills gave away Cordy Glenn--teams spend years trying to get a good left tackle and we just sold him away. 

Edited by Dr. K
  • Like (+1) 1

On 12/30/2018 at 4:39 PM, HalftimeAdjustment said:

I would entertain trade down offers. We need multiple pieces on offense, especially on the OL. However, if we can get some credible FAs then we take BPA.

Excellent plan in roster management.  Very bad plan in dating.  Trust me I know.   

16 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

I’m hoping Ed Oliver drops to us. He takes our great defense to another level. 

Were you impressed by his thoroughly mediocre season in the amazing Conference USA?