2019 NFL Draft: Bills officially picking 9th

Virgil

On 12/30/2018 at 6:38 PM, whatdrought said:

Looks like we need to trade back. lol

Beane would not surprise me if he did this. Arent many QBs...somebody might want to trade up for one. Bills could add a 2nd rounder

On 12/30/2018 at 6:38 PM, whatdrought said:

Looks like we need to trade back. lol

Beane would not surprise me if he did this. Arent many QBs...somebody might want to trade up for one. Bills could add a 2nd rounder

9 minutes ago, Pablocruise said:

"True" in your mind,whatever.. Bills,with 3rd highest cap dollars,  obviously have the opportunity to make improvement. Of course there will be competition for free agents. Beane's goalmos to be "judicious" in free agency

Yes we have the 3rd most money but that doesn’t mean jack.  Guys have to sign in the dotted line to come here.  There’s only one really good center imo.  There’s only one solid tackle imo.  Lots of #3 WRs. Lots of competition for only a few really solid players 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yes we have the 3rd most money but that doesn’t mean jack.  Guys have to sign in the dotted line to come here.  There’s only one really good center imo.  There’s only one solid tackle imo.  Lots of #3 WRs. Lots of competition for only a few really solid players 

Certainly does mean  "jack" if used judiciously. Beane believes in the draft but he isnt just going to roll over all 90 million. Its how you invest the dollars. You can sign 3 or 4 really high-paid free agents(Beame wont do this) , 6 or 8 mid-tier,, hell,12 relatively cheap free.agents for depth and to spread out the financial risk,. extend his own players,etc. So,what is YOUR plan

22 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You can't buy what isn't on the market.  And good OLmen don't come on the market very often for good reason.  OL is a place where continuity is important. 

Let's say we want to find a really good C as a FA.  Per Spotrac, candidates would include Ryan Kalil (Car), Brett Jones  and Nick Easton (Minn), Matt Paradis (Den) and Mitch Morse (KC). 

Ryan Kalil just retired.  Jones was the backup C for the Vikes and started the 1st 3 games when Elflein was out, but as soon as Elflein came back he took a seat.  Easton played guard on the Vikes good OL in 2017 and was IR'd all 2018 with a bulging disc in his neck.  So we're looking at two guys who got outplayed at the position on a totally Meh OL, one of whom is recovering from a very worrisome, often lingering, injury for a line player.  If Easton is healthy, I would expect the Vikes to re-sign him but as a LG, not a C.  Brett Jones would be a shot in the dark - he's been the backup C on two teams with crap OL (NYG and Vikes this year).

KC really likes Mitch Morse, but he took 6 weeks to recover from a concussion in Wk 6 this season, his 3rd concussion since 2015.  He's better than anyone else they have at center, so if they don't re-sign him - look very carefully under the hood, folks.  He might be one "bell ringing" away from the end of his career.

Matt Paradis, as I understand it, has become regarded as one of the top centers in the league.  Denver's OL was not "all that" this year, and Paradis ended the season on IR for a broken leg.  Again, look carefully under the hood if Denver does not re-sign him, but he seems like the most promising of the guys available.  But I would look for Denver to try to re-sign him, and they have reasonable cap space to do it.  If not, expect significant competition for his services.

So OK, you want to address the OL in FA?  Who ya gonna go after?

If there's one thing we should all have learned by now, it's that mock drafts (especially this early in the process) are almost uniformly incorrect.

I personally am not "going after " anybody. Pointing out the possibilities and "philosophy ". I don't see  Beane going after older, or eisky,  injury - prone players Positions not addresed in free agency will determine draft strategy. Dont under-estimate the Bills as a free agent destination.

2 minutes ago, Pablocruise said:

Certainly does mean  "jack" if used judiciously. Beane believes in the draft but he isnt just going to roll over all 90 million. Its how you invest the dollars. You can sign 3 or 4 really high-paid free agents(Beame wont do this) , 6 or 8 mid-tier,, hell,12 relatively cheap free.agents for depth and to spread out the financial risk,. extend his own players,etc. So,what is YOUR plan

Yes, I realize all of this.  I’m going after Paradies and Darryl Williams.  We need solid OL.  The FA WR crop is pretty weak.  I’d like Robbie Anderson, but that’s unlikely to happen.  Sign a Lower tier FA wr and not overpay.  Trade down in the draft and grab 2 OL, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1-2 DL a corner and maybe a rb depending on their plan is with shady.  

I woukdnt sign a FA RB for over 3 mill a year unless his name was Ingram or possibly Peterson.  

14 minutes ago, Pablocruise said:

Lets not forget about free agency. These draft projections are dependent on who the Bills sign/re-sign. Beane has cap money and draft picks so I don't think he makes desperate moves

FA shouldn't affect the draft at all. Draft for talent at key positions and you'll never be without a core.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Pablocruise said:

I personally am not "going after " anybody. Pointing out the possibilities and "philosophy ". I don't see  Beane going after older, or eisky,  injury - prone players Positions not addresed in free agency will determine draft strategy. Dont under-estimate the Bills as a free agent destination.

You’re personally not going after anyone.....yet you ask others who they would sign? I’m not signing anyone either, but I can still answer a question.

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You’re personally not going after anyone.....yet you ask others who they would sign? I’m not signing anyone either, but I can still answer a question.

Apparently,you cant. Do you have a take or do you just waste peoples time arguimg about stuff we have no control over? Happy New Year...

40 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Then we better make sure we sign Paradis.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Pablocruise said:

Lets not forget about free agency. These draft projections are dependent on who the Bills sign/re-sign. Beane has cap money and draft picks so I don't think he makes desperate moves

I know what you're saying but it's not going to stop the posters from arguing who should be drafted.

FA starts in about 11 weeks or so.

Then another 6 weeks before the draft.

SO MUCH can happen in that time.

26 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I know what you're saying but it's not going to stop the posters from arguing who should be drafted.

FA starts in about 11 weeks or so.

Then another 6 weeks before the draft.

SO MUCH can happen in that time.

Exactly ! A lot t can happen. Im not worried and I dont think  Beane is,either 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pablocruise said:

Apparently,you cant. Do you have a take or do you just waste peoples time arguimg about stuff we have no control over? Happy New Year...

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Yes, I realize all of this.  I’m going after Paradies and Darryl Williams.  We need solid OL.  The FA WR crop is pretty weak.  I’d like Robbie Anderson, but that’s unlikely to happen.  Sign a Lower tier FA wr and not overpay.  Trade down in the draft and grab 2 OL, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1-2 DL a corner and maybe a rb depending on their plan is with shady.  

I woukdnt sign a FA RB for over 3 mill a year unless his name was Ingram or possibly Peterson.  

1 hour ago, Pablocruise said:

Or apparently you can’t read

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Oh,good one ,like that hurts . You have not said ANY thing that is unique,enlightening or definitive.  We all are aware of the Bills needs, plus their draft and cap resources. There are several ways to go, various combinations of draft picks and free agents. Too early to predict who will be available 

• Haha (+1) 1

Here’s a question fior you: Would you rather attend a Super Bowl, or sit in the war room for a draft? 

I’ve been to a Bills SB, and it was great. But I would LOVE to sit in on a draft, see their board and what it’s like behind the scenes. The draft would be my choice. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

Here’s a question fior you: Would you rather attend a Super Bowl, or sit in the war room for a draft? 

I’ve been to a Bills SB, and it was great. But I would LOVE to sit in on a draft, see their board and what it’s like behind the scenes. The draft would be my choice. 

A Superbowl the Bills are involved in? I think there's an easy answer to that question.

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

FA shouldn't affect the draft at all. Draft for talent at key positions and you'll never be without a core.

We're talking about the remnants of the Doug Whaley/Rex Ryan Bills.  That means we have to hit in FA and the draft to make a dramatic improvement. 

12 minutes ago, Augie said:

Are there jumbo shrimp in the draft room?

13 minutes ago, Pablocruise said:

Oh,good one ,like that hurts . You have not said ANY thing that is unique,enlightening or definitive.  We all are aware of the Bills needs, plus their draft and cap resources. There are several ways to go, various combinations of draft picks and free agents. Too early to predict who will be available 

What's with all the p***ing matches started by Johnny Come Lately posters? 

3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

If the Bills draft to fill needs they'll be back where they were 10 years ago. They need to be smarter than that.

Draft elite talents at critical positions like pass catcher, pass rusher, and cornerback. Stock the roster with talent; fill needs in free agency.

I agree, but I can’t see the logic in using a top 10 pick on a CB when the Bills already have Tre White.  I know White has two? years left on his rookie deal and they could get another top CB on a rookie deal for 4 years, but you know that they could not keep both long-term.

The Bills have done this previously when they had Antoine Winfield and then drafted Nate Clements.  For sure Clements was good, but ultimately they let Winfield go to FA and he played very well for several more years and then the Bills lost Clements in FA as well.

I don’t want them to reach, but there are only a few premium positions that a team can budget for - QB, DE, LT, maybe 1 WR, a lockdown CB.  I am not saying that other positions are not important, but ideally find a top prospect at a position that, if he pans out, you can justify paying after his rookie deal.

Edited by OldTimer1960
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I agree, but I can’t see the logic in using a top 10 pick on a CB when the Bills already have Tre White.  I know White has two? Years left on his rookie deal and they could get another top CB on a rookie deal for 4 years, but you know that they could not keep both long-term.

I don’t want them to reach, but if there are only a few premium positions that a team can budget for - QB, DE, LT, maybe 1 WR, a lockdown CB.  I am not saying that other positions are not important, but ideally find a top prospect at a position that, if he pans out, you can justify paying after his rookie deal.

Agreed. I doubt Greedy lasts until 9 anways, so there's that. If he did, I'd just hope somebody in the teens would be all over it and we'd swing a deal. 

• Like (+1) 1