Virgil

Per NFL.com:

PICK

BUF.png

Bills

Record: 6-10 (.523)
Previous week: No. T-7
Biggest needs: OL, WR, CB

It wasn't always pretty, but the Bills went 4-3 in their final seven games, and two of the losses were by just four points. Reasons for optimism! Now, the offensive line and pass catchers for Josh Allen have to be much better, but with a good offseason, this squad could take a big step in 2019.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I am actually really liking Golden Tate as the vet receiver to bring in......which would allow us to draft a OL in round 1 and get another WR in round 2 like Deebo Samuel

Golden Tate

Deebo Samuel

Robert Foster

Zay Jones

Issah McKenzie

Hey John. Happy New Year!!  I've been looking at some YouTube video on Quinnen Williams and Hakeem Butler and both of these guys are who I want the Bills to target. Williams has the potential to be a Aaron Donald type player with his quickness and hand fighting. Butler for his size/speed combination. He is also a pure "hands" catcher. He's not afraid to go across the middle and makes the "contested catches". Butler doesn't have an injury history like Deebo. When you get a chance check these guys out.

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, papazoid said:

I would pick an OT

bills will pick a DT

The problem is Jonah Williams is the only OT in the big board top 20. I’m taking the tackle if the value is there or a cpl slots off but if Williams is gone and you are unable to trade down, I’m not reaching for the 24th ranked player at 9.

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, papazoid said:

I would pick an OT

bills will pick a DT

The top of the draft is stacked with DL talent. We have major needs on the DL. This shouldn’t be a problem to anyone. Yeah, I know Allen needs a lot more help but you can’t/shouldn’t force picks like that. The goal should be to stock your shelves with young talent.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think there is a long way to go in this analysis.  By April, after FA has mostly shaken out, it will be down to 4/5 players.  No matter the position, even if that is Greedy Williams territory, they have to hit on a great player.    Cannot afford to miss at this point in the process.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Great observation Hapless. 

That is the gist of my thread the other day that the Bills may want to restock the O line and WR positions in free agency this year, but it is going to be hard for them to accomplish it due to the limited options available on the market and the fact that there are a lot of teams out there with money to spend and more appealing situations for a free agent to go to.  If the Bills and the Dolphins put the same offer on the table for a player, do you think a 25 year old free agent is going to pick Buffalo?  You'd be crazy to think that South Beach, great weather, and no state income tax that adds 9% to the value of the contract won't be a big factor in the decision? 

That's why I think Beane is going to look to trades to do what he can't do in free agency.  We don't have any players to trade, but we do have draft picks to offer up.  I'd be shocked if he didn't trade for at least two players before the end of April's draft.  I could see him trading during the draft for players.

Seriously? Do you think a young 25 year old would rather have JA throwing to him or go to Miami and not know who will be his QB? Even if you are looking at the money side of it, you want to go somewhere where you have a chance to demonstrate your talent and eventually win that big contract. Miami just an't that place and Buffalo is. Taxes and weather are not really a big factor.  Any WR dumb enough to choose Miami over Buffalo probably deserves his fate.

3 hours ago, papazoid said:

I would pick an OT

bills will pick a DT

If the Bills draft to fill needs they'll be back where they were 10 years ago. They need to be smarter than that.

Draft elite talents at critical positions like pass catcher, pass rusher, and cornerback. Stock the roster with talent; fill needs in free agency.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

If the Bills draft to fill needs they'll be back where they were 10 years ago. They need to be smarter than that.

Draft elite talents at critical positions like pass catcher, pass rusher, and cornerback. Stock the roster with talent; fill needs in free agency.

Agreed.  We have our QB.  If we stay at 9, Draft BPA at DE/CB/WR/LT.   

It doesn’t sound like BPA at 9 would be a WR or LT, so I’d have zero issue taking a pass rusher (or elite DT) or say, Greedy Williams to go opposite Tre. 

Unlike some people,I don't  pretend to have all the answers. Significant improvement can be achieved through a combination of 1. Better schemes 2. Youngsters gaining experience 3. Add OLine  via draft 4...via free.agency 5.  Continued development of Allen and skill positions

22 hours ago, NewEra said:

Lots of teams have LOTS of money.  It may not get us the proper upgrades that we need. We need good players.

How do you define "lots"? Bills have 3rd most and will focus on offense while not ignoring D

22 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I'm not suggesting you are wrong with your approach. But the problem I have with many who apply your approach is that player rankings are not always accurate. A player who is ranked 10th is not necessarily better than a player who is ranked 20th. That is proven out in every draft. 

If the Bills have a desperate need for an offensive lineman who is ranked 10th on the board and there is a player who is ranked 8th on the board then I believe it is a mistake to strictly adhere to your board at the expense of your need, especially when the imprecise rankings are so close. 

• Like (+1) 1

It's hard for me to understand how people watched this defense all season and don't recognize DL as an area of need. I'm not really concerned with corner and we can find an adequate MLB in FA'cy. They're always available. They can allocate all other resources to offense, but they damn well better find a difference maker at DL or the defense will have the same issues it had in 2018. Yes, they had some issues.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Pablocruise said:

Unlike some people,I don't  pretend to have all the answers. Significant improvement can be achieved through a combination of 1. Better schemes 2. Youngsters gaining experience 3. Add OLine  via draft 4...via free.agency 5.  Continued development of Allen and skill positions

How do you define "lots"? Bills have 3rd most and will focus on offense while not ignoring D

It doesn’t matter how I define it. There’s lots of teams with lots of cap room.  It’s true.  

10 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Agreed.  We have our QB.  If we stay at 9, Draft BPA at DE/CB/WR/LT.   

It doesn’t sound like BPA at 9 would be a WR or LT, so I’d have zero issue taking a pass rusher (or elite DT) or say, Greedy Williams to go opposite Tre. 

Absolutely. Greedy as a CB2 would make the secondary really solid. Wallace as the primary backup on the boundary and Lewis backing up Taron in the slot. 

Now about that whole Jordan Poyer holdout thing...

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm not suggesting you are wrong with your approach. But the problem I have with many who apply your approach is that player rankings are not always accurate. A player who is ranked 10th is not necessarily better than a player who is ranked 20th. That is proven out in every draft. 

If the Bills have a desperate need for an offensive lineman who is ranked 10th on the board and there is a player who is ranked 8th on the board then I believe it is a mistake to strictly adhere to your board at the expense of your need, especially when the imprecise rankings are so close. 

Well, you've hit on a pretty important point: the whole philosophy is predicated upon your evaluation being sound.

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It doesn’t matter how I define it. There’s lots of teams with lots of cap room.  It’s true.  

"True" in your mind,whatever.. Bills,with 3rd highest cap dollars,  obviously have the opportunity to make improvement. Of course there will be competition for free agents. Beane's goalmos to be "judicious" in free agency

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Absolutely. Greedy as a CB2 would make the secondary really solid. Wallace as the primary backup on the boundary and Lewis backing up Taron in the slot. 

Would not personally be a fan of a CB in the top 10. McDermott seems to find guys that can play corner off the scrapheap and we've already got one good/borderline elite player at the position. Also, the best way to stop the top quarterbacks is by getting in their face on a consistent basis. Much rather identify a disruptive defensive lineman.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Would not personally be a fan of a CB in the top 10. McDermott seems to find guys that can play corner off the scrapheap and we've already got one good/borderline elite player at the position. Also, the best way to stop the top quarterbacks is by getting in their face on a consistent basis. Much rather identify a disruptive defensive lineman.

I prefer DL as well, but if the choice is solid DLman or potentially elite CB it's an easy choice for me

• Like (+1) 3