NFL puts ref Roy Ellison on administrative leave after Jerry Hughes allegation

I think the NFL probably has 3rd party confirmation of the "B word" comment, otherwise Hughes would be in some serious hot water right now. Its nice to know that Hughes wasn't crazy at least during his shouting threats part of the post game. However the total denial stage with reporters where Jerry claimed he didn't know what they were talking about. That put me right back in the "Jerry is crazy" camp.

2 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

I think the NFL probably has 3rd party confirmation of the "B word" comment, otherwise Hughes would be in some serious hot water right now. Its nice to know that Hughes wasn't crazy at least during his shouting threats part of the post game. However the total denial stage with reporters where Jerry claimed he didn't know what they were talking about. That put me right back in the "Jerry is crazy" camp.

That was probably advice from McDermott to not speak about that to reporters, which was good advice to give. If that was the case, props to McD for putting out a fire before one started

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Well, Jerry, he might have called you that, but after getting a fellow ref in hot water, this Sunday you're going to be reminded what payback is.  Which is a shame.  The refs should not be part of the game. The NFL is drowning in this crap.  They finally fixed the stupid rule about not completing a catch if you lose it falling to the ground.  They started the year with the impossible rule about not falling on a QB when you sack him, but they seem to have backed off on that.  

I'd like to see the rule book from about 1980 brought back.  Let defenders play.  Let all the players play.  It's a tough game, not a dance where every move has to be choreographed a certain way, or a penalty gets called.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

All of the people who thought Hughes was being ridiculous by denying the confrontation to reporters, he was being smart and getting good advice. "I'd like to see the tape". "I don't recall that". My opinion of him went up. 

Were people complaining about him not commenting at all? Or just the way he did it. 

For me, he should've just said "I'm not going to comment on that at this time" instead of completely denying it, which was obviously a flat out lie. Like a poster said above, acting like that makes him look a little crazy.

I'm glad this ref got some punishment....it also kinda sucks that he's actually one of the better refs in the league and he's a full-timer, not just a part-timer.