Is Josh Allen faster than Tyrod Taylor???

Mac14

I'd say Yes.  but who knows factually.   I know they are tracking players speeds recently, but I don't know for how long they have been tracking the data 

At the combine Allen completed the sprint in 4.76 seconds, not bad for 6-foot-5, 234-pound quarterback

At the combine Tyrod Taylor at 4.51

Josh Allen can't be caught on 14-yard TD run - NFL Videos

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000970579/Josh-Allen-can-t-be-caught-on-14-yard-TD-run

Josh Allen was clocked at running 20.6 mph on his touchdown run vs the Vikings. 

3 hours ago, Mac14 said:

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say I think he is! I think Tyrod is quicker and more shiftier but as far as top end speed I’m going with Allen!!! What ya all think???

Yes I have already discussed this in another thread. Allen already has 2 runs this year where he was clocked at 20 mph or faster by next gen stats. Tyrod's fastest speed was 18.8 mph. 

In comparison Cam Newton has been clocked at 20 MPH or faster 4 times in his entire career(or since next gen stats started..I think 2015 maybe?), topping out at the same top speed as Allen had of 20.6 mph.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

Define faster.

I believe TT would take him in a head to head 40, but much of that has to do with acceleration vs top end. Josh is a long strider with really good turnover for a man of his size. Top end speed I think Allen would take TT. 

There is also a huge difference between running in a football game and running in a race.

Speed come down to 2 things. How long is your stride and how fast can you move your legs? 

As as far as the better QB, gimme Allen all day!

1 hour ago, Pbomb said:

Always seems to have more room to run too, probably because defenses are actually worried about him passing the ball

^^^This.

Tyrod was great with his legs, but it was easier to stop him because you didnt have to worry about him beating you with his arm. With Josh, you have to account for both. That's why I think he's going to be our QB for a long time. He'll take whichever is there, and will make a big play out of it either way.

• Like (+1) 2

I think Taylor is faster.  When Josh was running, it was mostly linebackers (Kiko) trying to run him down.  That's a missmatch because Josh is a bit of an athletic freak for that size.  He would have run through an arm tackle from a DB, but most DBs would be able to run with him.  Tyrod could outrun a lot of DBs.  Josh has a runner's vision though, and he's very elusive for that size.  The combination makes him a nightmare for opposing defenses to try and contain.

Tyrod is faster and quicker and more athletic.

Allen is a better selective runner and I believe has better vision.  

Allen is running a lot but he picks the right times to run which is why he's got 90+ two straight games.  Taylor would look to run too quick and the defense was much more prepared for it.  Allen keeps his eyes downfield pretty well so you got to still defend both run and pass....Taylor too many times would telegraph when he was going to run.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pbomb said:

Always seems to have more room to run too, probably because defenses are actually worried about him passing the ball

Arm strength and willing to take shots downfield will back defenses off. 

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Tyrod is faster and quicker and more athletic.

Allen is a better selective runner and I believe has better vision.  

Allen is running a lot but he picks the right times to run which is why he's got 90+ two straight games.  Taylor would look to run too quick and the defense was much more prepared for it.  Allen keeps his eyes downfield pretty well so you got to still defend both run and pass....Taylor too many times would telegraph when he was going to run.

I am not so sure on the “more athletic”. TT definitely is quicker in tight spots due to his smaller size but both are extremely athletic and difficult to truly assess, imo.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Arm strength and willing to take shots downfield will back defenses off. 

I am not so sure on the “more athletic”. TT definitely is quicker in tight spots due to his smaller size but both are extremely athletic and difficult to truly assess, imo.

You're right....I think "shifty" is a better word than athletic in this case.  Taylor can cut quicker but Allen seems to be mentally a step ahead of his defender.

Edited by Royale with Cheese