Josh Allen's progress

mjt328

5 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

We don't have a single elite or even above average receiver just like we didn't in 2017. It's a problem. I was specifically referencing the Logan Thomas play in the Pats game.

Not sure anyone would ever confuse Logan Thomas with a great tight end.

My point is Allen hits a td or two in those several opportunities and Bills could/would have won.  Nobody would be nitpicking check downs and missed throws if guys stepped up and made plays for this guy.  He is never going to be a 70% Drew Brees dink and dunk guy.  His success is going to come when the Bills have skills guy who can reel in the several big throw opportunities he is going to deliver downfield.  And for the record enough Logan Thomas, Bills have been "developing" this guy for what 4 years. 

3 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Completely disagree that a decent TE makes that catch 8/10 times. Thomas could have made the play, but it would have been a great catch. Not a highlight reel catch, but a great one.

Josh's arm strength is a definite plus but it also puts receivers in tough positions on occasion. This was one of those times. The pic everyone keeps displaying gives a distorted view of the play. Ball was coming at Thomas HOT and he had just made his move towards it. A TOP TE probably makes that catch 50 percent of the time. 

No, it would have not been a "great" catch.  It would have been a catch that any decent TE would make with regularity. You can try to hate on Allen all you like but it wont take away from the fact that it was a great pass that you expect your receivers to make.  That's how they drew up the play,  a high behind the shoulder pass for your 6'5 TE to go up and make and it went right through his hands.

3 hours ago, Socal-805 said:

NO,  Not true.

The accuracy was a huge issue in college, and continues to be.  This was a KNOWN issue.  Don't pretend it wasn't.

Don;t throw/play the "context" card and "stats" card at this.  

1 year in he has the SAME exact problems.

Why is accuracy so coveted?  We’re talking about a difference decided by a few passes a game.

Give me Allen’s intangibles and will to compete and win any day.  This kid is going to win a Lombardi.  Whether you or I like it or not, he is our franchise QB.  He will be behind center here for many years.

7 minutes ago, Magox said:

No, it would have not been a "great" catch.  It would have been a catch that any decent TE would make with regularity. You can try to hate on Allen all you like but it wont take away from the fact that it was a great pass that you expect your receivers to make.  That's how they drew up the play,  a high behind the shoulder pass for your 6'5 TE to go up and make and it went right through his hands.

https://twitter.com/Cianaf/status/1077667381621739532

I know it's hard to believe, but Josh Allen is not perfect. I've seen a lot of positives and a lot of negatives. Only time will tell.

Edited by LSHMEAB

3 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Completely disagree that a decent TE makes that catch 8/10 times. Thomas could have made the play, but it would have been a great catch. Not a highlight reel catch, but a great one.

Josh's arm strength is a definite plus but it also puts receivers in tough positions on occasion. This was one of those times. The pic everyone keeps displaying gives a distorted view of the play. Ball was coming at Thomas HOT and he had just made his move towards it. A TOP TE probably makes that catch 50 percent of the time. 

You're going to have trouble finding anyone sympathetic to the receivers because the ball was thrown too hard. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, RaoulDuke79 said:

You're going to have trouble finding anyone sympathetic to the receivers because the ball was thrown too hard. 

Not the intention of the post. I'm pointing out that it would have required a great catch by the time Thomas turned, not that there was anything wrong with the pass. Had Thomas made a move for the ball more quickly, it wouldn't have been an issue. It's going to be important for Allen to get a lot of reps with his receivers to get the timing down with his unusual velocity.

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

I know it's hard to believe, but Josh Allen is not perfect. I've seen a lot of positives and a lot of negatives. Only time will tell.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking that stance.......

I really only have a problem with the sourpusses that just predict failure when there are in fact moments of promise.

• Like (+1) 4

This conversation won't go anywhere until the absurd hyperbole stops 

People have been erroneously claiming for over a year that Allen is "horribly inaccurate". Simply not true. 

The ball goes where he wants it to go. In a critical situation, can he make the throw he needs to make? Yes.

Will he miss throws more often than you'd like? Yes. Has it been a key factor in any Bills loss? Probably--I'd say his misses against the Jets hurt them in key times.

But the myth of the erratic and wildly inaccurate Josh Allen passing game needs to die.

Just some advice to the board: be intellectually honest about what you're seeing. If he makes a great throw don't get upset because it goes against a scouting report you read. If he makes a brutal throw don't discount it because you want him to be great.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Matt Waldman’s RSP Cast No.41: NFC Quarterback Review with Mark Schofield (51:56)

I love having Mark Schofield on the show and as the NFL regular season comes to a close, it felt like the right time to have him join me for a conversation about individual quarterback performances. We begin the show talking about Josh Allen but then move to the NFC and cover a lot of ground in the first of this two-parter:
  • What has Josh Allen taught Mark about arm velocity and how he’ll apply it to QB evaluation?

46 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Matt Waldman’s RSP Cast No.41: NFC Quarterback Review with Mark Schofield (51:56)

I love having Mark Schofield on the show and as the NFL regular season comes to a close, it felt like the right time to have him join me for a conversation about individual quarterback performances. We begin the show talking about Josh Allen but then move to the NFC and cover a lot of ground in the first of this two-parter:
  • What has Josh Allen taught Mark about arm velocity and how he’ll apply it to QB evaluation?

Thanks for posting this.  My take:

* A very fair review of Allen.  Schofield was actually pretty positive and seemed both complimentary and surprised at what Allen has shown in his passing game.  He seems to be of the opinion that Allen will become a decent QB.  I also thought that he articulated a lot of the things we've been seeing that's good about Allen's passing game.  Given that both of these guys were hypercritical of Allen around draft time they have come a long way in changing their opinion about his chances.

*  I think these two also illustrated the huge perception issues that Allen must overcome.  I'm not sure I've ever seen a top 10 drafted QB come out of college receiving so much harsh criticism.  The fact is that a whole lot of the experts who specialize in diagnosing NFL talent staked out strong positions around their belief that Allen was not an NFL caliber QB.  It will take a lot to move these folks off their opinions of Allen.  What makes a guy like Schofield impressive to me is that he's willing to say "hey, maybe I was wrong" and is looking into changing how he evaluates QB's based on what he's seen from Allen's PASSING game in the NFL. 

• Like (+1) 2

If you don’t want to take the time to listen to the podcast, Schofield said he is pleasantly surprised by the development that JA has shown this year. Allen has shown the ability to throw with more touch than his college film showed. He is more certain than before that JA will be able to develop to reach his full potential. 

PFF Week 16 critique of Allen:

Allen earned some of his worst grades of the year from the football analytics website:
Josh Allen had one of his rougher outings of 2018. His 54.5 passing grade was his fourth-lowest grade of the season. Allen really struggled from a clean pocket going 18-for-30 passing for 167 yards with zero touchdowns and two interceptions. His passer rating of 47.5 was the lowest in Week 16 among 32 QB with a minimum of 15 dropbacks.
Allen’s numbers are disappointing, but not all that surprising as the Bills were facing the Patriots and Bill Belichick’s defense on the road. No rookie QB has beaten Belichick at home in his long coaching career. Allen, Phillips and Teller will all have one more game to take a final step forward in their rookie season’s in Week 17 as Buffalo concludes their season at home against the Miami Dolphins.

TWEET ELABORATION

We could do 800 words on each player, but let’s save it for the offseason and settle for essentially expanded tweets on each guy:

5. Josh Allen: Everything we saw at Wyoming, we’ve seen in Buffalo: fantastic arm strength, sneaky mobility and occasionally erratic ball placement. What we didn’t know is how comfortable Allen would be reading an NFL field. He ran a “pro style” system at Wyoming, but that means less and less as the NFL and college games continue to merge. Though he’s gotten better down the stretch, for much of this season Allen has looked much too wide-eyed.

21 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

And Ryan was playing in the ACC as opposed to the MW, but never mind that.

QB's that aren't prolific in college do not have a good track record in the NFL. That's a fact. Didn't create the fact. Didn't cherrypick info. Just stating a very basic fact. Hopefully Allen bucks the trend.

Interesting you went into defensive mode as opposed to noting that Favre indeed sucked at Southern Miss. Why not cling to the positive anomaly? There's always a chance.

I really don’t believe strength of competition matters for passing QBs. Their skill players are playing similar skill players on the other side. You don’t have to go to a big name program in the SEC or ACC to become a good QB. A lot of the starting QBs come from smaller programs. 

And Ryan was playing in the ACC as opposed to the MW, but never mind that.

QB's that aren't prolific in college do not have a good track record in the NFL. That's a fact. Didn't create the fact. Didn't cherrypick info. Just stating a very basic fact. Hopefully Allen bucks the trend.

Interesting you went into defensive mode as opposed to noting that Favre indeed sucked at Southern Miss. Why not cling to the positive anomaly? There's always a chance.

Obviously you didn’t watch Allen carry that team in college. He won so many games for that program, he was a great college QB. His team was vastly inferior to the defences he played every week, just like his team in the NFL. Just wait until we put some pieces around this kid. 

21 hours ago, HappyDays said:

It's early but Mahomes is the obvious answer. In college he had poor footwork and poor decision making, and he had no experience in a pro system. He was developed for a full season and now looks like a different player.

Not saying Allen will end up putting up Mahomes's numbers next year but yes raw QBs can develop with time. Allen has already made progress since Wyoming. They're bringing him along slowly, as they should.

Completely agree, I had the exact same grade on them coming out with similar pros and cons. Hopefully Allen can make a similar jump in year two. 

Mahommes also has the most talented offensive team around him in the NFL and Josh has the least talented team.

Edited by billspro

Thats a routine catch for a back up TE. Kelce brings that down 99% of the time.

Also, the ball speed was fine. There were probably 10 throws on the season that were uncatchable due to ball speed. That wasn’t one of them.

18 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Nowhere in his post did he even come close to saying Josh Allen was perfect. Just an observation: You seem to do a lot of the very thing you accuse so many people of doing to you.

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Nowhere in his post did he even come close to saying Josh Allen was perfect. Just an observation: You seem to do a lot of the very thing you accuse so many people of doing to you.

I get multiple negative responses every time I post anything REMOTELY critical of Josh. It certainly doesn't bother me as this is a message board and that's the point. It does seem as though people are hypersensitive regarding Allen. Really never seen anything like it in all my time as a Bills fan going back 30 years. Like I've said a thousand times; his play will ultimately determine his fate. I've seen good and I've seen bad and I'll continue to call it like I see it. I check my emotions at the door when I visit a message board. I prefer to get into diagnosis/player evaluation/analyticals, etc. I expend enough emotional energy during the 48 hours of actual game to last a year. Wouldn't mind extending that to 60 hours one of these years.

Josh Allen’s first encounter with a Bill Belichick-schemed defense did not turn out so well. Allen finished 20-for-41 for 217 yards, one touchdown, and two interceptions. Like many other rookie quarterbacks, Allen hit a wall as Belichick reached into his bag of tricks meant to confuse the Wyoming product pre- to post-snap. Erik and Nate jump into the film room to show you exactly how Belichick and the Patriots continued their dominance over their division foe Bills.
  • Introduction
  • 3:14-Josh Allen misses WR Zay Jones
  • 9:14-Josh Allen RPO completion to Deonte Thompson
  • 12:17-Josh Allen fails to throw the swing to LeSean McCoy
  • 17:17-Josh Allen throws the swing to LeSean McCoy
  • 20:15-Josh Allen airmails the throw to WR Isaiah McKenzie (Hoss concept)
  • 22:38-Josh Allen’s pinpoint throw to RB Keith Ford (Hoss concept)
    • 23:39-Comparison of Allen’s footwork on both throws
  • 29:38-Josh Allen’s first interception
  • 35:28-Josh Allen fails to pull the trigger to WR Robert Foster
  • 40:55-Josh Allen audibles and throws deep to WR Foster
  • 45:47-Josh Allen reads the defense, delivers, but WR McKenzie drops it
  • 50:42-Wrap up
  • Like (+1) 1