Josh Allen's progress

mjt328

35 minutes ago, Socal-805 said:

He is just FAR too inaccurate to be a Pro NFL QB in my opinion.

They are not going to fix this either.

Inaccuracy has not lead to any of his turnovers, nor has it prevented the team from creating offense, despite the serious dearth of offensive talent surrounding him.

His TO's have almost universally been from bad decision-making...which, as I've been saying for months: rookies gonna rookie

23 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Cant really take that at face value though unless you know what QB's the Lions have faced.  I mean that stat is going to false indicator if most QB's they have faced haven't really attempted to run and aren't dangerous runners like Allen.  

17 hours ago, VW82 said:

It's so obvious he put in time in the film room while he was off. His feel for the rush is night and day. Out of all those throws I detailed vs. Jets there was only one where he took off prematurely. Josh deserves all the credit for that. Remember the Packers game? This is a different player. We can talk about accuracy all we want, but one of the reasons he has the opportunity to throw more now is because of his improved feel and understanding of the rush and wr routes, and making plays when things break down to keep us on the field longer.  

When I take a step back and measure his preseason performance against Cincy to where he is today, it's clear the guy has demonstrably grown and shown the ability to learn new tricks.

I'm not gonna stop criticizing him for areas that need improvement to appease the homers, but the kid has already swayed most out of the guaranteed bust camp.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Inaccuracy has not lead to any of his turnovers, nor has it prevented the team from creating offense, despite the serious dearth of offensive talent surrounding him.

His TO's have almost universally been from bad decision-making...which, as I've been saying for months: rookies gonna rookie

Yeah, but: he had a really inaccurate throw in the Jets game that was gift-wrapped to the DB, but he dropped it. You can't count on DBs dropping INTs all the time like that. 

14 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Yeah, but: he had a really inaccurate throw in the Jets game that was gift-wrapped to the DB, but he dropped it. You can't count on DBs dropping INTs all the time like that. 

I know the throw you're talking about and it wasn't inaccurate. He was aiming for Foster but failed to look off the safety.

36 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He's also fit some balls into window most qbs wouldn't  dream of trying to fit .  Lets get him a line that can hold blocks, some semblance of a running game and at least one guy who can get open before we decide what this guy is or isnt Most of his problems are from trying to do too much with too little .  I think the hero ball is minimized once has faith/trust in some guys picking up the slack around him.

For being the most hurried passer in the NFL I think he's doing ok. I've seen how poorly Tom Brady can play when he is hurried. You see how poorly Russell Wilson can throw when he has the defence bearing down on him.

I've watched many QBs in my time as have all of you. You see a lot of self preservation first or stat preservation first Allen seems focused on the win no matter how he gets there. He won't ever be a captain checkdown and that's just fine with me. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

This definitely is not true.

Show me an example; I see bad decisions, not accuracy-derived turnovers. The Howard INT initially looked like an inaccurate throw, but on my 2nd look it was a result of Kelvin Benjamin quitting on the route...which lead to his release.  Interestingly enough, it was at least the 2nd time this season that Benjamin quit on a route and directly caused an INT...the first was the Jaire Alexander play in GB when Benjamin stopped and short-armed the ball instead of using his significant size advantage to out-muscle the rookie DB.

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Definitely true; not saying that his accuracy doesn't need to improve if he's going to become more consistent in the short-mid range game.  I'm only saying that his TO's have all resulted from decision-making issues.

12 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Show me an example; I see bad decisions, not accuracy-derived turnovers. The Howard INT initially looked like an inaccurate throw, but on my 2nd look it was a result of Kelvin Benjamin quitting on the route...which lead to his release.  Interestingly enough, it was at least the 2nd time this season that Benjamin quit on a route and directly caused an INT...the first was the Jaire Alexander play in GB when Benjamin stopped and short-armed the ball instead of using his significant size advantage to out-muscle the rookie DB..

9:05

3 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

9:05

Thanks for digging up an example.  I remember that throw from the all-22; looked like he mis-judged the amount of air he needed to put under it.  If you want to call that an accuracy issue I'll roll with it and agree.  Can you also agree that it's in stark contrast to the majority of his turnovers?

Fan mail bag question to Chris Brown:

1 – From @StevenKubitza: Is Josh Allen running so much due to a lack of production from the backs, or just because it is part of his game?

CB: Most of Josh Allen’s runs are not by design. There are a few read option plays in the game plan each week, but by and large, and coach Daboll has confirmed this, most of his runs are off scramble plays that were pass play calls.

There are multiple reasons Allen is doing as much running as he is. First, at this point in Allen’s career he trusts what he can get with his legs more than he trusts what he’s seeing in coverage on a pass play.

Not all the time, but enough of the time.

So as he’s surveying the field, he’s looking to make a play with his arm, but if he’s not sure, in his head he knows he can get at least six to eight yards with his legs based on the space in front of him and he takes it. He’s also had to take off and run because of poor protection.

That’s not a terrible thing right now at this stage of his development. We do have to remember he has only started eight games.

In time however, he will need to read coverages better and have a plan with contingencies pre-snap, before the play unfolds, so he has multiple answers at his disposal as the play unfolds. This will make him a more effective player in the pocket.

Allen isn’t running because the backs aren’t having any success. He’s running because of where his development is in reading defenses and his ability to do so.