Josh Allen's progress

mjt328

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

3 man rush from the Jets, Allen should have more time to decide where to go with it (not that he didnt have enough time for the read the guy suggests). With more time, I think he checks it down to DiMarco? coming in from the top.

The Bills have no offensive system. There are no staple plays they gain easy yardage on. 

How many pregames does Murphy, Kelso, Chris Brown and Simon waste saying worn out phrases like we have to “get Shady going”.

The truth is McCoy is done, Ivory is 200 years old and Murphy is a career practice squader running behind a below average line. 

So this offense goes as Allen makes it go on broken plays. Running around looking for busted coverages and scrambling lanes.

Greg Cossel said on Friday that Allen is not seeing the field, so he is falling back on hero ball, and that means you get the spectacular mixed with scatter shot accuracy. 

That’s why I said last week that Allen needs to hit the weight room and squeeze every last drop out of his athletic ability and play like a young Roethlisberger extending plays. He’s never going to pick you apart like Steve Young. 

JOSH ALLEN RUNNING TOO MUCH

Not only were special teams poor but so was the play of both the offense and the defense. Yes, Josh Allen rushed for 101 yards, but he also only hit on only 50% of his throws, had a fumble and threw two interceptions. Both interceptions were poor throws but the first one should never have been thrown in the first place as he was throwing across his body.

What is disappointing about Josh’s play right now is that he is making mistakes he shouldn’t be making at this point in his development. When playing from the pocket he is taking too long to process and is having trouble finding secondary receivers.

In recent games he has decided to run when his first or second receiver isn’t open. While he has been very productive doing so, he is failing to see that not only throwing the ball but throwing the ball to the proper receiver with accuracy is his primary job. Until he is able to stay in the pocket, go through a progression, find the open man and get the ball out of his hand quickly he won’t be a successful NFL quarterback. Yes, this takes time to learn to do properly but in Allen’s case it’s taken longer than we would have thought.

Granted the offensive line is below average and the wide receiver corps is young and inexperienced and those facts don’t help Allen mature as a player. It remains to be seen how he will play when he has a better supporting cast hopefully next year.

40 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Good analysis.

The second clip I think he has wrong though. Allen looks left, but comes off it. 

I think he's air mailed it to McKenzie and Foster just happens to be behind him. 

29 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

The one where he said he was staring down Foster, I thought was an overthrow to McKenzie at least that is how it looked to me live. Like he was looking at Foster, but then saw McKenzie coming open in front of that and just over threw it

I just said the same thing.

He completely misses McKenzie by about 8 feet. 

Foster just happened to be behind him. 

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

Good analysis.

The second clip I think he has wrong though. Allen looks left, but comes off it. 

I think he's air mailed it to McKenzie and Foster just happens to be behind him. 

You could be right, but it's hard to tell. It would be nice to hear Allen talk through these. 

Pretty good perspective and context here by Rodak. 

I can't break down Josh Allen's metrics, but from the eye test, for me... He looks like a better QB than I thought he would.  Quite honestly, from all the pre-draft analysis I thought this guy was gonna suck!   He's proving that to be wrong.  Allen looks like a competent NFL QB to me and that's very promising considering this is his rookie season.  

No doubt he's had some flub passes, but he's also had several darts right into the hands or chest of his receivers and they get dropped, or called back due to a penalty.  His numbers look worse compared to what I've actually seen on the field.  His rushing game might not get factored in to his overall rating but it is part of his game and he's picked up a bunch of first downs with his legs.

On 12/8/2018 at 9:34 AM, RoyBatty is alive said:

Interesting perspective.  Might be valid, although I think the data set is so limited.  Lets look at it another way.

For whatever reason, especially considering our O line, our inability for RBs to routinely run the ball, penalties, bad WRs, we are constantly in 2nd and long, 3rd and long. Cossell is correct, he does look for the big play a lot.  The last play of Miami he could have hit McCoy for an easy completion short but with a lot of room to run for the first,  but he didn't check it down, he goes for first downs and TDs. Bills QBs over the years have checked down way too much so often we see the Bills get 7 yards when they need 8.  Allen doesn't do that.  To me it is refreshing,and certainly alot more exciting.  Brady can dial up 9 yards on a 3rd and 8 consistently, last 10 years Bills would get 7.  Brady has been in the same system and has had great possession WRs and RBs for that matter. 

Allen has played 8 games, his #1 WR was just a bust he was cut.   We all know the quality of the rest of our WRs and TEs.  Let Allen stay in the system, actually go into next season as the bona fide #1, get some chemistry with receivers. Maybe just maybe you are seeing that with Zay Jones.  He missed a wide open Jones in the end zone and that was accuracy, that was miscommunication/lack of chemistry,  Allen starts trusting his receivers more he wont run as much and will be more confident to check down.

Yep, I agree that to be a great QB, you have to make the routine plays, routinely.  Make those 5-6 yard passes routinely.  But in order to do those things you have to have an offense that executes those plays well.  The RB's have to do more than get 2 yards, the penalties that turn the 3rd and 4 to 3rd in 9 have to stop, the O line has to protect to prevent someone blowing up a play, and the receivers have to run the correct route and then catch the ball.   Bills as a team don't execute these things routinely on every play.  

I think Josh has to just play within himself more, take the snap and make the best play available and don't try to extend every play.  Would like to see the offense work more on quick plays and getting first downs while still taking the occasional shot downfield.  

Just now, PittsforDave said:

Allen reminds me of EJ Manuel. He has one good drive then goes into a lull. We need a complete game from our qb. 

He needs a complete complement of weapons as well as a functional OL to help him along with his own individual improvement as a QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Socal-805 said:

I see very little progress: you can't win in this league throwing 52 % completions.  It just won't happen.

He's one of the LOWEST rated QB's in the league.

A qb rating would be based on year long performance.  This thread is about progression.  

He has gotten more accurate than when he started.  Why would the progression stop?