Chiefs release Kareem Hunt after video from February incident surfaces

YoloinOhio

26 minutes ago, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

Watching the Mixon video, I'm appalled that no one said or did anything after that and just let him walk out. Damn kitties!! I'm not the biggest guy in the world, but damn if I see that and don't get up and say something to him. Terrible....

I can't believe he's in the league after that. They gave terrelle pryor a suspension in nfl for what was it autographs or tattoos (Idr) in college. But mixon Mike Tysons a girl and nothing. Makes sense. 

You know who SHOULD sign Hunt?

The Chargers.

They just lost Melvin Gordon for at least a few weeks to injury, they're a high powered offense, are a game behind in the division at 8-3, have a great QB and have a good chance of competing in the playoffs.

They're also in the same division, and play the Chiefs again in 2 weeks.

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

You know who SHOULD sign Hunt?

The Chargers.

They just lost Melvin Gordon for at least a few weeks to injury, they're a high powered offense, are a game behind in the division at 8-3, have a great QB and have a good chance of competing in the playoffs.

They're also in the same division, and play the Chiefs again in 2 weeks.

You do realize that Hunt is essentially suspended indefinitely by the NFL since he is on the Commissioner”s Exempt List now?  Hunt won’t be signed  by anyone this season . 

Edited by prissythecat

Hey Folks!   .....Allow me if you will to give a Chiefs fan view of all of this.

1.  The folks at Chiefs Planet.....are unfortunately like the unwashed masses of Chiefs fans....I am ashamed to admit that we have a LOT of ignorant fans...both in terms of issues like this and in comprehending and being able to intelligently discuss football....we have two extremes in KC...some really really smart, intelligent writers and national personalities that write and talk Chiefs....from KC....some of the best stuff....so it's a shame we have so many ignorant fans....but we do...I wouldn't think you'd find a whole lot of well thought out discussion over there.  I don't post there, but the facebook group I do post on, is just every bit as full of low IQ idiots as anywhere else.  If you search my posts here, I have complimented the folks on this board for making this place a really great place to talk football, even though I am a Chiefs fan....I continue to enjoy my interactions here....this board really has some solid members.

2.  In KC, when Tyreek Hill was drafted, that was NOT a popular draft pick.  The team, and specifically, Andy Ried had to address the media and fans about how he vetted Hill, and how he believed Hill would be a good citizen and good representative of the team.  Hill had plead guilty, was sentenced in court, kicked off of the OK State football team, and finished up his college career at a small school.  KC expended A TON of the good will Ried had built up in the community when they took Hill.  To his credit thus far, Hill has been a good citzen, and there was a well recieved story on local TV news about Hill getting engaged to the woman who he had assaulted back in college, the mother of his son, and how HIll is doing well as a father also.  Hill, so far, has taken advantage of the second chance he got here.  His act of choking and punching his then pregant girlfreind is AWFUL.  But he didn't lie about it..has been forthcoming to the team and behaved well.  Hunt lied to the team about his incident.  I think the team would have worked through this with him had he come out and said back in February that he was drunk and made mistakes.  He didn't and they cut him.....

3.  Try and remember that only a few years before, we had LB Jovan Belcher, murder his girlfriend (the mother of his daughter) then drive to Arrowhead and shoot himself in the head in the parking lot.  Before that, we had Larry Johnson, who at the time reportedly, and has since admitted to, committing egregious acts of assault on women....Johnson, repentant and seemingly sorry for his past ways, and seemingly living a better life now....even came in to speak to the Chiefs about staying out of exactly this kind of trouble...there are even tweets from him about this specifically.  The Chiefs can not and did not want to become a place known as a haven for domestic abusers....They've been burned before, and they had no more goodwill to expend on this kind of thing after putting their collective necks out there for Tyreek Hill.  (a move that has paid off for all parties so far.)  

4.  As far as football goes.  I won't sit here and tell you that Hunt isn't a good football player...he is very good.  Phyical, but good at catching passes and running routes...does not fumble.  very productive.  clearly from a football standpoint, it is a substantial loss.  I would say that if you are Kansas City, if you have to lose someone, one of the less painful losses would be to lose the RB Hunt.  It's a QB driven leauge...it's Andy Ried...we still have Spencer Ware...who if he hadn't gotten hurt in 2017, we might not know who Hunt even is...Ware was the starter in 2016 and was really coming on...he's still had a role this year and had looked capable when called on.  He isn't Hunt, but obviously, he'll have to do.  Now...as I said...as the way the team is setup and with who have at QB and who the coach is...Pat Mahomes is the one guy we can't afford to lose...not the RB.  I can't spin this any way as good from a football standpoint....I'm just saying of all the cogs in the machine Hunt is a bit easier to replace than say Kelce (we have no TE close to his skill set on the roster)  or Hill (again, no one who can do what he does)

5.  My thoughts on the actual incident....to me, this isn't quite the same as Ray Rice, or Tyreek Hill for that matter....it looks like a bunch of young immature people under the influence of alchol making poor choices.  I'm sure this scene plays out all accross the country with non celebrities and it isn't really considered "domestic violence" but just dump young people getting stupid.  ...that said...Hunt made several poor choices here prior to the actual incident.  Lots of drinking with underage females.  Didn't call hotel security or cops to have them removed, didn't stay in the room, close the door, etc....didn't have smart enough crew to keep him away from trouble....all this after he had been counciled by the team to avoid these situations.....and then he LIED about it.  I think he'd still be on the team if he would have just said...hey, I am a dumbass, this is what I did.  

....lastly....thankfully we play the Raiders in OAKLAND this week...I can't think of a better opponent to be playing AWAY FROM KC, after something like this....a road win will do the team a lot of good.

and lastly lastly....KC will not be going after LeVeon Bell even if you hear a bunch of dumbass fans of ours clammoring for that.....we have a long history here of showing that we can put productive RB on the field with late round draft picks and bargain bin FA etc...Bell isn't in our future....they aren't spending that kind of money at that position.  It's not happening, nor should it.  That also includes trading for Shady....not happening.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, The Senator said:

Agree 100%.

Were it not for the media, there would have been no Watergate.  But that’s a PPP topic.

There would have been no Watergate, or no one would have known about Watergate?  And would that have been good or bad?

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

It's because Hunt and Rice are on video as high profile popular athletes assaulting citizens in public rather than relatively obscure college kids with co Ed students on campus the big football schools can STFU

It’s not fair but the video makes it worse.   I do think Hunt will get an opportunity to play again though.    The Rice video was worse and he was older.  So if a team was going to take him on they had to deal with the blowback for one or two years maybe.  

5 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I know for a fact that there were lots of bad apples in professional sports “back in the day” and their behavior would surely have gotten them in trouble by todays standards. But for the most part, the media protected celebrities unless their actions were so egregious that they could no longer remain silent. The media was “on the inside” back in the day. 

Now a days, anyone with a cell phone or with acces to video cameras are a “reporter” and believe it is their obligation to share what they see, and their right to benefit from the attention  it brings, regardless of the end result. There is no more media protection. This is probably a good thing, but I still miss the days of blissful ignorance.

So athletes could beat the hell out of women you knew back then and that was fine with you?

really?

seriously?

4 hours ago, Magox said:

What he did was wrong!   But he pushed the dude not the chick and he happened to fall on the girl.

And the Kick to the girl really wasn't a forceful kick it and I doubt caused a bruise.

Don't get me wrong, I don't condone it but it wasn't a "brutal" attack whatsoever.   I believe he deserves suspension but it shouldn't be career threatening.  In this day in age, he will face tremendous public blowback and he'll never live it down with a sizable segment of the population, that and his dismissal of the Chiefs and inevitable league suspension should be enough punishment for his actions.

Yeah, when I first read the headline as "brutal attack" and "kicking a woman on the ground" I was thinking much worse than the video showed.

Hunt needs to be disciplined, without question and I wouldn't fault any team that wants no part of him on their roster, but I feel he should be able to resume his career.

How stupid do you have to be in 2018, post-Ray Rice, to find yourself in this situation?  Talk some ***** if need be, but walk away and spare yourself the grief.  Sheesh.

8 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I knew you were looking at Ducasse's ass that way in order to make comparisons .....

Hey man, all I'm saying is I wouldn't mind seeing blondie in a #62 jersey lined up at RG right now.

Couldn't get any worse, couldn't get any better.

Couple of Thoughts ...

• Never Hit a Woman
  • Don't lie to your employer or you deserve the consequences
  • Nothing good happens at 3:45AM in the morning (time of incident)
  • TMZ apparently has better investigators than the NFL
  • Find it interesting that police did not file any charges who had all parties involved and copy of tape in hand
  • Not sure if accurate, as was on the internet, but the woman (19 years old) supposedly was yelling outside the room in the hallway for over 30 minutes (now if accurate wondering why wasn't removed by hotel security prior to video incident) and yelling racially insensitive comments as they were obviously kicked out of the party in the room. 
  • Joe Mixon video previously posted, Tyreke Hill incident, Ray Rice, Greg Hardy indictment ... SIGNIFICANTLY .. worse than this video
  • Believe he will be back in the NFL .. question is which team.
  • Like (+1) 8

Chiefs' Releasing Hunt Will Test NFL's Other 31 Clubs

We want so badly to believe that the Kansas City Chiefs and the San Francisco 49ers showed us this week that the NFL has mostly learned its lesson about players who abuse women four years after Ray Rice gave everyone a brutal tutorial in how to mismanage a domestic violence crisis.

In releasing Kareem Hunt Friday night, the Chiefs said Hunt had not been truthful about the violent incident depicted in the video that surfaced Friday afternoon. It's a question for another day how NFL investigators still haven't found ways to procure tapes that others can, despite what they said in a statement has been an investigation that began in February. At least when the NFL and the Chiefs say they finally saw the tape, the Chiefs moved quickly to get rid of Hunt.

The issue now is the moral quandary into which Hunt's release just thrust the other 31 teams.

Which, if any, will claim Hunt off waivers? Let's not be naïve. Teams will, at the very least, poke around the case. The Washington Redskins did it earlier this week, when the 49ers released Reuben Fosterafter he was arrested last Saturday following an alleged domestic violence incident at the team hotel the night before a game. It was not the first time Foster had been accused and arrested and the 49ers finally made the decision they should have made months before.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

There would have been no Watergate, or no one would have known about Watergate?  And would that have been good or bad?

Thank you for correcting me.

Yes, there would have been a Watergate.

And, without the dogged pursuit of a couple of cub reporters from the Washington Post, namely Woodward and Bernstein, it might have been buried in the back pages of the New York Times.

That would have been bad.

So, thank God, in this case, for TMZ.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WideRightRevenge said:

Couple of Thoughts ...

• Never Hit a Woman
  • Don't lie to your employer or you deserve the consequences
  • Nothing good happens at 3:45AM in the morning (time of incident)
  • TMZ apparently has better investigators than the NFL
  • Find it interesting that police did not file any charges who had all parties involved and copy of tape in hand
  • Not sure if accurate, as was on the internet, but the woman (19 years old) supposedly was yelling outside the room in the hallway for over 30 minutes (now if accurate wondering why wasn't removed by hotel security prior to video incident) and yelling racially insensitive comments as they were obviously kicked out of the party in the room. 
  • Joe Mixon video previously posted, Tyreke Hill incident, Ray Rice, Greg Hardy indictment ... SIGNIFICANTLY .. worse than this video
  • Believe he will be back in the NFL .. question is which team.

Summed up quite nicely.