Chiefs release Kareem Hunt after video from February incident surfaces

YoloinOhio

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Howsabout you squat down to pick up your personal belongings and I come up and "lightly tap" you in the side hard enough that you go over?

Yeah, no big deal.  Just a light tap.

I think the original pushing would be NBD especially since he shoved his friend and it was the friend who sent the woman into the wall, arguably as an accident.

But going out of his way to come up and gratuitously kick the woman while she's crouching down picking up her belongings in no way matches your description above. 

To use my kid's terms, it seems "extra"

Strange how TMZ can obtain these videos but somehow the NFL can not.

I would assume TMZ pays big money for the tape much later - so they find some guy to copy it and pay.

The NFL goes through normal channels immediately and cannot get it.

If the NFL wanted to get it - I am sure they could of gone the route of find someone to copy it and get it to them, but what do they do then - you suspend, but hold the video?  There is no good look that works - so they go the easy out and say - we could not get it. 

6 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Good for the Chiefs.  Makes Redskins look that much worse.  

I'm astounded. Honestly. Like what other NFL teams would do this before the NFL even makes a decision?? Mad respect. I seriously think maybe 3 NFL teams would do this.. albeit the Chiefs are super loaded on offense. But still! SB run and they cut the best young RB when he can probably still finish out the season.. CRAZY.

Good for the Chiefs!

I’m sure that the impotent, lame-brained Goodell would have dragged this out so that nothing would happen until after the playoffs.

KC, OTOH, was facing a PR nightmare.  No way those wholesome, corn-fed midwesterners are going to tolerate some young, overpaid, thug-punk shoving a woman,  pushing her head into a wall, then kicking her while she’s on her hands and knees trying to retrieve her belongings.

Punk belongs out of the NFL, and in prison.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

He is younger and get second chance ,  it will take about 2 years but an NFL team will give him a chance.

The Redskins have probably already sent in their claim, One of their Vice presidents said that what the guy they just claimed did was "no big deal, people much higher up have done worse things".......

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

shouldn't this be a go to jail thing ? what is happening in this world?

i mean it on video and so ... is fact actually.

I think our newbie up thread called it pretty much correctly.  It's the kick at the end that's the thing.  Until then it's some pushing and shoving back and forth.

It's when the woman is crouched down facing away and Hunt deliberately turns around, takes several steps and kicks her.

And yes, it's "simple assault" and absent serious injuries, those usually are pled from what I understand and don't result in jail time, especially for 1st offense kind of thing.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Good for the Chiefs!

I’m sure that the impotent, lame-brained Goodell would have dragged this out so that nothing would happen until after the playoffs.

KC, OTOH, was facing a PR nightmare.  No way those wholesome, corn-fed midwesterners are going to tolerate some young, overpaid, thug-punk shoving a woman,  pushing her head into a wall, then kicking her while she’s on her hands and knees trying to retrieve her belongings.

Punk belongs out of the NFL, and in prison.

PRISON! Let’s be a little realistic here. It was investigated and no charges filed. It would be a stretch to even get him on misdemeanor assault for the shove and extremely weak kick. I highly doubt the woman had any injuries.  

Edited by Bills2ref
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, apuszczalowski said:

NFL too, but they all claim that they had no idea of the video, or they did but didn't want to know about it so they act when it becomes public......

i hope to God they didn’t see the video before today...

5 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I'm astounded. Honestly. Like what other NFL teams would do this before the NFL even makes a decision?? Mad respect. I seriously think maybe 3 NFL teams would do this.. albeit the Chiefs are super loaded on offense. But still! SB run and they cut the best young RB when he can probably still finish out the season.. CRAZY.

The Chiefs knew exactly what he did and did nothing about it.

No chance an NFL team in 2018 just relies on an the info they get from an interview with their player to formulate how they'll proceed. They would have investigated, and easily found out there was a tape, and chose to do nothing about it.

If this incident was last week, the Chiefs would look great.

The issue was this incident was in February, and they certainly know exactly what happened and hoped it would stay swept under the rug. Luckily for them player contracts aren't guaranteed and the opportunity cost of keeping him vs cutting them earlier was a no brainer on the football field. 

4 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

The fact that the Chiefs knew about this since February and did nothing is sickening. 

Neither the NFL nor the Chiefs knew anything, per published reports:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000994161/article/chiefs-release-kareem-hunt-after-video-surfaces

"Earlier this year, we were made aware of an incident involving running back Kareem Hunt," the team said in a statement. "At that time, the National Football League and law enforcement initiated investigations into the issue. As part of our internal discussions with Kareem, several members of our management team spoke directly to him. Kareem was not truthful in those discussions. The video released today confirms that fact. We are releasing Kareem immediately."

[...]

Neither the NFL nor the Chiefs had seen the video before it was released Friday, a source informed of the situation told Rapoport. The NFL made several attempts to obtain it. The hotel said it was corporate policy to only turn over surveillance video to law enforcement. Cleveland Police Dept. public information officer Jennifer Ciaccia confirmed to NFL.com the police did not release the video.

Edited by greenyellowred

Seems the big deal is that he lied to the team.

What gets me is that the media, movies, tv are all trying to push strong women who kick ass, fight, kill and they want to make men more effeminate. Any woman can cause trouble, lie about sex, throw a punch at a man, curse him out and he is supposed to roll over like a puppy and take more. If he is in any position of power, he is even more vulnerable to being set up, used, lied about, etc...  

Don't get me wrong, I don't think a man should ever mistreat or hit a woman, but he should be able to defend himself. Some of these chicks pack a serious punch and are nothing but trouble. Some of these athletes are punks and put themselves in bad positions but it seems there is so much overreaction to every little thing nowadays. A person's life and career can be destroyed by any a singled out moment from any event when the whole story is not told or scene. We have no idea what happened before or after the video to lead to this.

From what we gather, neither party filed charges, no one was hurt and that was the end of the matter until now. Why now? And who let TMZ have this? Why did they want it? Billicheck conspiracy #23.

Edited by BillsRdue
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

I thought the reports were they did not know about it? I know I read somewhere in this thread that they found out in real time with everyone else. 

I don't see anyway that's remotely possible. 

You don't hear about your star running back being involved in a domestic dispute in 2018 and not dig into what actually happened when there was ample security footage available. 

They might say they didn't know, but there's no chance that's true. 

2 minutes ago, greenyellowred said:

Neither the NFL nor the Chiefs knew anything, per published reports:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000994161/article/chiefs-release-kareem-hunt-after-video-surfaces

"Earlier this year, we were made aware of an incident involving running back Kareem Hunt," the team said in a statement. "At that time, the National Football League and law enforcement initiated investigations into the issue. As part of our internal discussions with Kareem, several members of our management team spoke directly to him. Kareem was not truthful in those discussions. The video released today confirms that fact. We are releasing Kareem immediately."

[...]

Neither the NFL nor the Chiefs had seen the video before it was released Friday, a source informed of the situation told Rapoport. The NFL made several attempts to obtain it. The hotel said it was corporate policy to only turn over surveillance video to law enforcement. Cleveland Police Dept. public information officer Jennifer Ciaccia confirmed to NFL.com the police did not release the video.

I don't see how that's possible.

It simply doesn't make any sense that they never asked for the various security footage available and didn't have enough sway or $$$ to get a copy. 

Edited by jrober38
  • Like (+1) 1