Derek Anderson Good for Josh Allen?

Miracle Bills

Wow, so many ignorant people refusing to accept that you don't have to be a perennial Pro Bowler to teach someone how to be a good QB.  Like for example, if someone just doesn't have the natural physical abilities to be great, how does that keep them from being able to use their mental abilities to help someone who DOES have the physical abilities?

Do they think every coach was a legendary former player at every position on the field?  By their logic only the best players can qualify to teach.

Barkley is the arguably more talented primary backup, Anderson is the mentor and Barkley's backup for when Allen gets hurt again.  Do we want to have to hire someone off the street again?  Why dump Anderson just to add another 3rd string player who won't make any impact?

On 11/14/2018 at 1:54 PM, Miracle Bills said:

Anderson is not going to be the backup for Allen next year.  Barkley probably will be or should be.  The Bills goal should be to have Allen and Barkley for years as the starter and backup. If Allen does not develop then Barkley is more than adequate as a starter. Anderson has already proven he is not.

Drop Culley and hire Anderson as your QB coach for next year.  Continue having Josh work with Jordan Palmer in the off season. 

Derek Anderson might be able to show him a few things but I'm not sure I want Allen learning from Anderson. Anderson has thrown so many INT's and has fumbled and turned the ball over way to many times. If Fitz becomes a FA I would prefer Fitz over just about anyone to mold Allen into a good QB. I think Fitz and Allen have similar playing styles but Allen has superior mobility and arm strength. Fitz is a very good film study QB, like Peyton was. I think Allen would benefit immensely from Fitz in this area in practice and in film study. 

I don't think these vets transfer as much as we think they do to the rookie quarterback. I mean they can simply help him out in film, and show him how a veteran lasts 15 years in the league by staying professional and focused. Outside of that, it's not like Anderson is teaching him his playing style from throwing to Braylon Edwards 10 years ago. Dissecting 10 year old Browns seasons lol. It helps.. a little, don't see how it hurts at all.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/14/2018 at 4:55 PM, klos63 said:

How do we know Anderson is any good at 'mentoring'? Not saying he isn't but are we just assuming he is because he backed up Cam for so many years.  Cam was pretty solid as a rookie, maybe Anderson helped but he was an exceptional prospect to begin with.

Indeed. We do NOT know if Anderson is a good mentor/coach. But chances are he is with his longevity and subpar stats, and this being what he was hired for. As for him being a fairly bad QB disqualifying him for the role... he still did more NFL level games as a QB than 90% of coaches!

Why are we crowning Barkley as the solution to all of our problems?   He had one good game,  yes ONE game, and is a career backup.   His ceiling is what Fitz and Tyrod did for Buffalo, and we have been down that road too many times.     He had the advantage of no one knowing that he was starting until two days before and a caught a team that appears to be checked out.   Barkley wont have that next time around and his career stats before Sunday were only a notch above Peterman.  How does everyone truly think that this will go?

If Buffalo is smart, they keep both Barkley and Anderson.   We do not want to go back to the weekly QB audition strategy ever again.    Anderson is there if Allen or Barkley are hurt or ineffective.    Why drop Anderson?   What roster spot is so vital that we cant have a 3rd QB?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jerome007 said:

Indeed. We do NOT know if Anderson is a good mentor/coach. But chances are he is with his longevity and subpar stats, and this being what he was hired for. As for him being a fairly bad QB disqualifying him for the role... he still did more NFL level games as a QB than 90% of coaches!

1 hour ago, Jerome007 said:

27 minutes ago, dgrochester55 said:

Why are we crowning Barkley as the solution to all of our problems?   He had one good game,  yes ONE game, and is a career backup.   His ceiling is what Fitz and Tyrod did for Buffalo, and we have been down that road too many times.     He had the advantage of no one knowing that he was starting until two days before and a caught a team that appears to be checked out.   Barkley wont have that next time around and his career stats before Sunday were only a notch above Peterman.  How does everyone truly think that this will go?

If Buffalo is smart, they keep both Barkley and Anderson.   We do not want to go back to the weekly QB audition strategy ever again.    Anderson is there if Allen or Barkley are hurt or ineffective.    Why drop Anderson?   What roster spot is so vital that we cant have a 3rd QB?

I agree about keeping both at this point, there is no key player we need to keep on STs over QBs right now !

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/14/2018 at 4:51 PM, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I think these guys that stunk but stuck around forever are the ones that must have been exceptional preparing and practicing and are likely better mentors than guys who were super talented. 

Yes an example: Alex Van Pelt.  A hall of fame QB (Jim Kelly) and a future hall of Fame QB (GB's Aaron Rodgers) both said that Alex was excellent on getting them prepared.

• Like (+1) 2

Anderson provides a stable veteran hand. He knows how to be a leader and knows how to prepare for games, he should at the very least be the third string QB/QB player coach next season. After that I am not sure if Barkley is the backup. As others have mentioned Barkley just played good in one game against a bad team that came out flat. Not exactly a lot to proclaim anything. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing back Barkley next season to be the backup but I think options should be explored to find a more viable backup. 

21 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

I never mentioned Anderson's career as disqualifying him for that role.

46 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Allen is either going to be good or not based on himself. 

Not based on whether Derek Anderson or Matt Barkley teaches him. 

That is true; however, the learning curve of what it takes to master all of the process during the week of prep at the NFL level could be made easier with the right “mentoring/coaching” however you want to phrase it—anything that can accelerate how quickly JA can get comfortable at this level, I’m all for, no downside. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

That is true; however, the learning curve of what it takes to master all of the process during the week of prep at the NFL level could be made easier with the right “mentoring/coaching” however you want to phrase it—anything that can accelerate how quickly JA can get comfortable at this level, I’m all for, no downside. 

That’s what QB Coaches are for. 

Not taking up roster spots with 35 year olds who had to be talked out of retirement.

And to boot the mentor was ineffective to put it nicely. 

On 11/17/2018 at 4:27 PM, Straight Hucklebuck said:

That’s what QB Coaches are for. 

Not taking up roster spots with 35 year olds who had to be talked out of retirement.

And to boot the mentor was ineffective to put it nicely. 

do you think the team might have gotten off better if Anderson was on the Team during preseason ?
QB Coaches are not the end all. And perhaps ours is not that good.
spending to keep a 3rd QB not dressed is not going to kill the budget nor the Roster at this point.
Bills messed the the situation up hard in trusting Peterman was viable, and letting AJM go. been a bit of a train wreck since then.

i would have gone into the season with 3. one to mentor and cover a game if needed. one to start the season who was not epic fail proven.

20 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

do you think the team might have gotten off better if Anderson was on the Team during preseason ?
QB Coaches are not the end all. And perhaps ours is not that good.
spending to keep a 3rd QB not dressed is not going to kill the budget nor the Roster at this point.
Bills messed the the situation up hard in trusting Peterman was viable, and letting AJM go. been a bit of a train wreck since then.

i would have gone into the season with 3. one to mentor and cover a game if needed. one to start the season who was not epic fail proven.

No I don’t think anything changes if Anderson is here Day One.

And I think the Bills made the right move on McCarron. Two days into training camp it was obvious that AJ was a dump off artist ala Matt Cassel and nothing else. 

We’ve done the whole “mentor” crap with young QBs in Buffalo and it never makes a difference. You can either play or you can’t. 

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

No I don’t think anything changes if Anderson is here Day One.

And I think the Bills made the right move on McCarron. Two days into training camp it was obvious that AJ was a dump off artist ala Matt Cassel and nothing else. 

We’ve done the whole “mentor” crap with young QBs in Buffalo and it never makes a difference. You can either play or you can’t. 

I guess i have this ringing in my ears. Bills have never really developed a QB. And lets for sake of argument leave J Kelley out of this for now.
to me, Allen needs the Old guys in the room. This season especially was key.

But i certainly will not argue that a QB has it or does not. regardless of circumstance.
with proper mentoring i think folks ramp up quicker and more complete.

I wish Anderson was AJM and Barkley? maybe Peterman, when the season started.
who starts a rookie QB season with only one QB from the fifth round who has shown severe traits of mistakes when passing the ball ?
and everyone , i think at least , considered Allen a project.

and for fun. : )

who was the mentor crap you note ?

On 11/14/2018 at 1:54 PM, Miracle Bills said:

Anderson is not going to be the backup for Allen next year.  Barkley probably will be or should be.  The Bills goal should be to have Allen and Barkley for years as the starter and backup. If Allen does not develop then Barkley is more than adequate as a starter. Anderson has already proven he is not.

It’s only one game but Barkley has shown thus far he can be depended on as a back up.  Not sure about starter.  Too early for that. 

5 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

who starts a rookie QB season with only one QB from the fifth round who has shown severe traits of mistakes when passing the ball ?
and everyone , i think at least , considered Allen a project.

The Bills did all of the above in 2013. 

They tried to mentor rookie EJ Manuel with a washed up veteran on his last legs on Kevin Kolb.

Then when Kolb predictably flamed out, the Bills went into the season with EJ, undrafted rookie free agent Jeff Tuel and journeyman practice squader Thad Lewis. Coached by a rookie HC in Doug Marrone, and rookie OC Nate Hackett who also doubled as the QB Coach. 

As we saw, across multiple Coaching regimes, EJ was never going to get it no matter who his mentor was. 

On 11/14/2018 at 4:47 PM, billsfan1959 said:

Understanding how things should be done and having the ability to actually do them are not the same thing.

That's what coaches are for. Anderson has shown me nothing to believe he is really interested in his role. If he wanted to do that, he'd start being involved in coaching. He just wants the pay check. 

5 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

That's what coaches are for. Anderson has shown me nothing to believe he is really interested in his role. If he wanted to do that, he'd start being involved in coaching. He just wants the pay check. 

My post addressed the point the OP made that Anderson's sub-par, on field play prevented him from being a good teacher/mentor. It was a general statement that one doesn't need to have exceptional ability regarding a particular activity (such as playing QB) to be an exceptional teacher regarding that activity. It had absolutely nothing to do with whether or not Anderson is interested in that role. In fact, you didn't write a single thing that was relevant in any way to what I wrote. It is amazing how often you miss the entire point of a post.

Edited by billsfan1959

22 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

The Bills did all of the above in 2013. 

They tried to mentor rookie EJ Manuel with a washed up veteran on his last legs on Kevin Kolb.

Then when Kolb predictably flamed out, the Bills went into the season with EJ, undrafted rookie free agent Jeff Tuel and journeyman practice squader Thad Lewis. Coached by a rookie HC in Doug Marrone, and rookie OC Nate Hackett who also doubled as the QB Coach. 

As we saw, across multiple Coaching regimes, EJ was never going to get it no matter who his mentor was. 

yes indeed. Kolb tripped on wet mat type of flamed out. who the heck sees that coming. Marrone hated EJM as a starter i think. that whole thing was doomed with Nix chasing a QB in the Draft.. Nate Hackett was in no position to develop a QB nor was Marrone who could not field an O line worth a spittoon.
sound familiar ?

cursed i tell ya...

Edited by 3rdand12