Derek Anderson Good for Josh Allen?

Miracle Bills

I understand why they brought Anderson to Buffalo to help with Josh Allen, but with Matt Barkely here shouldn't Allen be learning from Barkley now? In Derek Anderson's last 3 years in the NFL he has been absolutely terrible. He has throw 2 touchdowns and 6 interceptions and has never looked good.  He is not a good quarterback and you have to wonder why you would want a bad quarterback teaching your future franchise quarterback how to play. The NFL Anderson grew up in is nothing like the NFL of today. 

Isn't this like asking a bad student to tutor your child?

4 minutes ago, Miracle Bills said:

I understand why they brought Anderson to Buffalo to help with Josh Allen, but with Matt Barkely here shouldn't Allen be learning from Barkley now? In Derek Anderson's last 3 years in the NFL he has been absolutely terrible. He has throw 2 touchdowns and 6 interceptions and has never looked good.  He is not a good quarterback and you have to wonder why you would want a bad quarterback teaching your future franchise quarterback how to play. The NFL Anderson grew up in is nothing like the NFL of today. 

I think these guys that stunk but stuck around forever are the ones that must have been exceptional preparing and practicing and are likely better mentors than guys who were super talented. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Miracle Bills said:

No, its not. Coaching is about having the ability to bring out the best in someone. Guys like Anderson may never be great QB's but they are instrumental in helping the coaches because they have been in the trenches doing the work. Take Jordan Palmer, he was never a great QB but he is widely viewed around the NFL as being one of the best in developing and preparing QB's for the pros. 

Anderson fits this role, because he can see Josh objectively from inside the pocket, where others are working with him on the outside (developing game plans, plays, etc..) Anderson is not a threat to take Josh's job and he knows his place. He's been around 15 years for a reason. He brings something to the table outside his ability to play.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Understanding how things should be done and having the ability to actually do them are not the same thing.

Anderson is not going to be the backup for Allen next year.  Barkley probably will be or should be.  The Bills goal should be to have Allen and Barkley for years as the starter and backup. If Allen does not develop then Barkley is more than adequate as a starter. Anderson has already proven he is not.

5 minutes ago, Miracle Bills said:

I understand why they brought Anderson to Buffalo to help with Josh Allen

Beside McBeane blundering big time starting the season with no experience at QB, bringing in a player to tutor them is an indictment of the QB coach. 

Edited by I am the egg man
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsRdue said:

No, its not. Coaching is about having the ability to bring out the best in someone. Guys like Anderson may never be great QB's but they are instrumental in helping the coaches because they have been in the trenches doing the work. Take Jordan Palmer, he was never a great QB but he is widely viewed around the NFL as being one of the best in developing and preparing QB's for the pros. 

Anderson fits this role, because he can see Josh objectively from inside the pocket, where others are working with him on the outside (developing game plans, plays, etc..) Anderson is not a threat to take Josh's job and he knows his place. He's been around 15 years for a reason. He brings something to the table outside his ability to play.

How do we know Anderson is any good at 'mentoring'? Not saying he isn't but are we just assuming he is because he backed up Cam for so many years.  Cam was pretty solid as a rookie, maybe Anderson helped but he was an exceptional prospect to begin with.

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Understanding how things should be done and having the ability to actually do them are not the same thing.

And being able to transfer that knowledge effectively is yet another important skill. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Augie said:

And being able to transfer that knowledge effectively is yet another important skill. 

What knowledge? How to be a bad quarterback?  Our quarterbacks coach should be coaching Allen and he should be learning from a guy like Barkley on basics like game preparation.  We don't want a rookie quarterback learning from two veterans who may have two totally different ways of doing things. 

There are too many cooks in the kitchen. Allen doesn't need a quarterbacks coach and 2 veterans telling him how to play quarterback in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, klos63 said:

How do we know Anderson is any good at 'mentoring'? Not saying he isn't but are we just assuming he is because he backed up Cam for so many years.  Cam was pretty solid as a rookie, maybe Anderson helped but he was an exceptional prospect to begin with.

It's pretty well known in Carolina and from Beane's and McDermott;s statements that Anderson played a role in helping Cam develop. Cam also mentioned and credited Anderson for helping him adjust to the pro game.

12 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

He’s better for Allen than Peterman was so it’s a step in the right direction

Peterman and Anderson both filled a purpose. Peterman was here until a quarterback could get healthy. They now have healthy quarterbacks and he is rightfully gone. Anderson served a purpose of being an experienced backup for Allen to learn from. We now have Matt Barkley and it is time for Anderson to be gone. We don't need an offensive coordinator, a quarterbacks coach, an experienced quarterback, and another experienced quarterback all teaching a rookie.  Too many people telling him what to do is the last thing he needs.

10 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

It's pretty well known in Carolina and from Beane's and McDermott;s statements that Anderson played a role in helping Cam develop. Cam also mentioned and credited Anderson for helping him adjust to the pro game.

This is not the same pro game that Cam developed in. The league is much different now.  The coaches who are now finally figuring that out need to realize we don't need a dinosaur teaching a rookie.

Edited by Miracle Bills

1 minute ago, BillsRdue said:

...don't think you can doubt Anderson's value in Carolina...believe her was there for 6 or 7 years......but now he's 35 and probably came to Bflo after McBeane begged him 24/7 to bail him out.......probably planned on his $63,000 per game for teaching and CERTAINLY not playing......Barkley is eight years younger and despite his solid play last week, has never done much in the NFL.....does he think he can still start?.....would he be satisfied with a backup role in Bflo to Josh in 2019 or test the market one more time (doubtful as a starter IMO)?.....

5 minutes ago, Miracle Bills said:

This is not the same pro game that Cam developed in. The league is much different now.  The coaches who are now finally figuring that out need to realize we don't need a dinosaur teaching a rookie.

So you want a star QB from the past 5 years to mentor him? 

OK

3 minutes ago, QCity said:

So you want a star QB from the past 5 years to mentor him? 

OK

I want a quarterbacks coach to mentor him and I want a veteran to show him the basics. I don't need him learning from two different quarterbacks that probably have completely different ways of doing things. Does it make sense for him to learn from some guy who is going to be gone in 6 weeks or a guy who could very well be his backup for years?

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Miracle Bills said:

Derek Anderson is likely Coaching ready IMO. should have been brought in day after they drafted Allen if only to mentor. Having Barkley her now who can do a bit of that as well, and play is likely one of the highlight of the season in the QB room.
He is a smart dud e from all I have read.

and Barkley appears to be a viable backup you can put on the field with some degree of hope.

good question 

45 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I think these guys that stunk but stuck around forever are the ones that must have been exceptional preparing and practicing and are likely better mentors than guys who were super talented. 

yeps

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Miracle Bills said:

You know the old saying:  those who can, do.  Those who can't, teach.  I am not meaning to diminish teachers.  The point is just because he can't play well does not mean he can not teach.

The reverse is also true.  Just because an athlete plays at a high level does not mean he or she can teach.  Mike Singletary comes to mind.  He was a great linebacker, but he was terrible as a head coach.

Michael Jordin is another example.  He admits that he would not be a good coach.  He would expect the players he was coaching to be able to do the things he could do and would get very frustrated if they fell short of his expectations.

Anderson seems to be taking to his mentor role very well.  Let's see what happens.

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Miracle Bills said:

I want a quarterbacks coach to mentor him and I want a veteran to show him the basics. I don't need him learning from two different quarterbacks that probably have completely different ways of doing things. Does it make sense for him to learn from some guy who is going to be gone in 6 weeks or a guy who could very well be his backup for years?

It makes sense for him to learn from the best teacher. Assuming Barkley will be our backup for years because he beat the Jets is ridiculous. And no, this is not analogous to a bad student tutoring your child.

• Thank you (+1) 1