I think I'm out on McDermott

zow2

30 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i gave my usual 6-10 (happy 20th anniversary of 6-10 predictions)

and expected it to be bad, but not this bad

but many were arguing that this was a legit playoff contender for the first few weeks, a few were quite adamant at 2-3 that this would turn around quickly...  :D

After going back and readying through, I see more posts falling between 6-10 to 7-9/8-8. But the 8-8/9-7 playoff crowd, while present, wasn't prevalent. Then there were of course the optimist threads where everyone was saying if Peterman is the guy, then I say we fair better. But even while being fooled by Peterman for a whole week leading up to Baltimore, you had to know this season was never going to yield more than 7 wins. First year OC, terrible QB crop, no wr corps, and we lost the best 3/5ths of our OL. Yet people were still nitpicking the roster and schedule saying a lot of "ifs and could be's" - which don't exactly inspire me to say most were expecting to be competitive. 

And for sure - no one expected it to be historically bad though, some thought it'd be garbage, but don't know that anyone said historically bad...

6 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

My worry now, after as many blowout losses as this team has experienced, is that he has reached a point where he's lost credibility with the players, fanbase, and front office (aside from Beane).  Talking in platitudes about "the process" gets less effective as horrible results pile up.  It is very hard to recover from a position like that.

I was thinking about the D last night.  You know behind the scenes those players are furious...but they have to put on a different face for the public of course.  If McD was smart, he'd be having meetings with the defense only, and letting them know they are the unit that's holding the team together.  He better be pumping them up ALOT.  

1 hour ago, Peter said:

We gave up a ton of assets to draft Josh . . . a very, very raw QB . . . and we have no idea whether he is the QB of the future. 

So yes, this is just one example of how this team may be set back . . . not to mention if we have a rinse and repeat with the coach and GM.

I will call it now, we pass on top tier talent in the draft to fill the holes we made on offense...The same recipe as every year

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Was everyone who says they should fire him stating the same at the end of last season when they made the playoffs and went 9-7 when most at the beginning of the year were predicting 4 to 6 wins?

Just curious?

I didn’t say fire him on here, but I was very skeptical because of in game decisions. 

I remember telling my cousin and my dad after he punted in OT of the colts game that I think we hired another bad coach. 

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Was everyone who says they should fire him stating the same at the end of last season when they made the playoffs and went 9-7 when most at the beginning of the year were predicting 4 to 6 wins?

Just curious?

Starting to lean towards the side of the fence that says they went 9-7 with a lot of the former regime's players.   Now that they've had a chance to mold and shape the team the way THEY want, it's a disaster on the O side of the ball.  That being said I give them a break due to the fact that two prominent O-linemen left the program.  I want to give McDermott a mulligan this season since he is the head coach that helped break the drought.  But all these blowout losses with zero offense....  I'm losing faith that he can get that side of the ball figured out.

It is 100 percent a scheme league. Great schemes bring out your players talents to their maximum. The players themselves are even less relevant than most believe. Goff, a guy who looked like a bust, surrounded by a bunch of other guys who looked similar now light up the league. Alex Smith put up his best numbers, in a great scheme, and is winning games now with no weapons due to schemes. Brees, was a bust, scheme change, and the personell around him has never mattered. Brady, teamattes constantly changing has never mattered. I could go on with lesser names like Dalton or Foles. You can scheme people open with short safe throws, which opens up everything else. But mcd thinks it’s the 80s and cannot evolve

• Like (+1) 1

This is the worst Bills offense I've seen, and I'm 50..  With even remotely average offensive production we're 500 right now.  The "process" is an excuse..  Even casual fans can see progress, or some evidence that the "process" is working, but nope, not a single thing on the field has shown me anything that would cause me to believe that things are moving in the right direction.  I don't blame Dabol, I don't blame assistant coaches, this is all on McD and Beane.  The only legitimate claim to evidence of any process is shedding the dead cap for next year, but does anyone have any confidence that there is a plan?  Hell, outside of maybe some interior OLine help in FA, the prospects for next year look dismal?  Did the "process" include looking ahead to potential FA targets?  I mean, one would think so, right?

We're stuck with this clown show for at least one more year, so I am optimistic that maybe I'm just not seeing it, I'm certainly not believing it right now.  It's one thing to lose, but it's quite another to lose so bad that the entire league, media and Vegas is laughing at you every Sunday.  So badly that you're beginning to show signs of losing the team, the fans, and the confidence of ownership, not to mention that ay FA worth their salt will pass on Buffalo next year, and if we should manage to sign any we'll overpay.  Was this all part of the "process" as well?

Me thinks, not so much!

Tim-

at this point I don't know anymore. I'm A fan of McDermott the person and d coordinator but not a fan of him as HC. I was thinking the other day there aren't many top tier coaches with a defensive background and I really think the way to win in the nfl now is to get a offensive mind. I wouldn't be opposed to a switch in the off season even though I now its not coming. When they eventually do fire him I hope they go offense next time. These defensive coaches always seem to have nothing on offense and I'm sick of being stuck in the 7o's

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Chemical said:

Even if they turn the offense around (highly doubtful) will our coach still run up the middle on 3rd and 8 with 1:44 left in the half against the patriots?

...the only "turnaround" this gang would be capable of is "360 degrees" so guess where we end up??..............

7 hours ago, zow2 said:

I've stood behind the man.  He's a solid D coordinator.  But I don't feel like he will be the guy to bring an innovative, good offense here.  I don't think he will be the guy to develop Josh Allen in any way.  I don't think he will be the guy who knows how to find an offensive coordinator who will elevate the entire staff and quality of play on that side of the ball. 

Something struck me when McD was doing his coaches show before the New England game.   They were asking him about Belicheck and all his success.  McD made the point that Belicheck hung in there (with his vision?) and got it right the 2nd time around.  I assumed he meant his second head coaching stop.  I just left that point thinking yup, this is McD's first stop and it will surely end in failure and his faith will lead him to believe he will get it right in his second stop.

I do feel they should stick with Beane.  He's a smart guy, and he knows what went wrong here.  I'm fairly confident he will properly handle the upcoming draft and going after free agents.  

And you think this why?  Because he has to catch a team that has a hurt rookie QB and no talent on the offensive side of the ball?  Wouldn't you say thats him not really getting a fair shake here?

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

I, too, feel less-confident in McDermott's HC abilities.  His coaching staff is horrible.  He offers nothing with regard to the development of a young offense.  I've been trying to be patient with my assessment, but it appears that he loses this team more and more each week.

Many believe that he is the one in charge; and not Beane.  If true, if one stays, it'll be McDermott.

I haven't completely given up on The Mad Clapper.  Trying to remain as realistic as possible, he probably deserves next year.

The reality is that a coaching change probably does nothing to improve this team.  The Offense is such a mess that there is little to work with unless Josh Allen returns and starts to show signs of life.  The Bills really bungled the talent situation and are paying the price for it.  The Pegula’s likely give Bean and McDermott next season to show some sort of a turnaround.